• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New TJ Project

Roy_Hobbs

Gettin ready to start another buggy. 1 ton, 4 link, coilovers, double ended ram, tj body back-halved, around 116" on wheel base, custom chassis. Just wondering if anyone has actually ever been able to build a buggy using tj body where they were able to get the tranny and case ( turbo 350 and atlas 4.3 two speed ) flush with the bottom of the rails for a flat belly. I guess you would probably have to do some cuttin in the floor pan and clock the case flat to do this. I was thinkin bout using 2"x4" tubing just in the center under the tub and 1.75 DOM everywhere else. Also, would clocking the case flat cause any driveshaft clearance issues with the tranny.

Roy_Hobbs said:
Passenger Drop.
There is a pocket on the drivers side of the TJ where the 231 was that give some room. I just put a nearly flat atlas pass drop in a TJ and had a crater in teh floor. There is plenty of room though, it is right in front of the seat and doesn't push you seat up any as long as you're leaned back. Also had to cut a tunnel for the front driveshaft. On the pass side that doens't matter as your passenger isn't needing heel room for pedals.
Yes doable.
No, shaft shouldn't hit if you get the right diameter.

Cool. I was looking at the pics of the Riddler. He had a flat alum belly plate, but his tubing rails looked to me like they were a little bit lower than if you were to use rect tubing and mimic and original frame with tabs that bolted to the body.

What width did you use for your rails? Or what would be a good width for small block chevy with the 4 link? I havent decided if i wanna put the tubing on the inside of the body tabs and try to stay kinda straight all the way up to motor or outside the body tab and taper in at the fire wall. How much of a height difference is there normally between the rails at the motor and the rails under the tub to get that crazy low look. Looking for 72-78 on total height.

Roy_Hobbs said:
What width did you use for your rails? Or what would be a good width for small block chevy with the 4 link? I havent decided if i wanna put the tubing on the inside of the body tabs and try to stay kinda straight all the way up to motor or outside the body tab and taper in at the fire wall. How much of a height difference is there normally between the rails at the motor and the rails under the tub to get that crazy low look. Looking for 72-78 on total height.
I used stock rails and still kept it low. just a lot of cutting and work.
Design your suspension first, then make the rails instead of working around a bad design for links. Put a driveshaft and exhuast in the mix too when you build your links. That will tell you where the frame rails go.