• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new tj

Spudd

i just traded my 88 yota for a 98 jeep wrangler with a 4 in. procomp lift. and 33's the best plus is it only has 54xxx on a 4.0 :redneck: i need to know if i did ok and anything to watch for with my tj.

thanks.

p.s. also looking for a hard top and doors.

My dad picked his 97 up for $4,000 with 103k on it with 4.0 and 5spd. 4" on 33's with a bunch other ****. TJ's are getting alot cheaper now. You can wheel that 35 but dont be shocked when you bust it. We are stepping up to rockjocks on my dads rig and 37's with the same 4" lift. You did good on your swap.

i just traded my 88 yota for a 98 jeep wrangler with a 4 in. procomp lift. and 33's the best plus is it only has 54xxx on a 4.0 :redneck: i need to know if i did ok and anything to watch for with my tj.

thanks.

p.s. also looking for a hard top and doors.

You are always better off with a Jeep rather thatn a toyota, but what were the specs of your toy? That will depend on how good of a deal it was.

This sounds more like a bragging thread, rather than a "did I make a good deal?" thread.:eeek:

My condolences.
maybe you can trade the jeep for a newer toyota with some mods.

I'm guessing it was an older yota with a 22re..

Yep you did better. Sounds like it has a lift on it and some tires. Good start. But is it a short arm kit or long arm. Your going to want to go long arm other wise you wont have any flex.

Congrats on the purchase.:beer:

Toy owners and Jeep owners frequently have MUCH different philosophies. Just ignore the jealous comments.

Yep you did better. Sounds like it has a lift on it and some tires. Good start. But is it a short arm kit or long arm. Your going to want to go long arm other wise you wont have any flex.

The short arm / long arm discussion is irrelevent. Some of our club have shortys, some longs, some custom arms, and ALL of us can do the same trails, often with the same relative ease of driving.

Don't worry about the type of lift, just make sure it's a quality lift... not some home-built-micky-mouse-going-to-leave-you-stranded type lift.

dscn27938978650%7E0.jpg

Duck Dodger's ride is on shortie's, open/open w/32's....not bad flex at all IMHO...Besides, flex is not the most important factor when building a rig...:awesomework:

dscn27938978650%7E0.jpg

Duck Dodger's ride is on shortie's, open/open w/32's....not bad flex at all IMHO...Besides, flex is not the most important factor when building a rig...:awesomework:

That's cute.

This is a custom long arm,
2010-02-21123706.jpg

You have to remember, not too long ago I was SUA leafs 4". I had about as much flex as Duck dodgers ride. But I can say this, now with a long arm kit, it's a lot easier to go through obstacles that twist up your suspension.

Massive articulation is overrated and it's only really needed for rock crawlin' (and even then many have much more than they can effectively use). Tons of articulation means tons of body roll. I've NEVER seen an RTI ramp on a trail.

That's cute.

2010-02-21123706.jpg

You have to remember, not too long ago I was SUA leafs 4". I had about as much flex as Duck dodgers ride. But I can say this, now with a long arm kit, it's a lot easier to go through obstacles that twist up your suspension.

Funny thing when you see rigs that have all this flex and the owners are way proud of it, then you see them on the trail and lifting a tire cause of weight transfer and all that flax does nothing. And right behind them is a rig with far less flex and never lifts a tire. I would rather have less flex in a stable rig then more then I need while on my roof.:awesomework:

Funny thing when you see rigs that have all this flex and the owners are way proud of it, then you see them on the trail and lifting a tire cause of weight transfer and all that flax does nothing. And right behind them is a rig with far less flex and never lifts a tire. I would rather have less flex in a stable rig then more then I need while on my roof.:awesomework:

Never had that problem. My suspension works very well. I climb better and I cruise right over obstacles. I might get a rear sway bar, to help with the body roll, but its not as bad as you think.

Last edited:
That's cute.

2010-02-21123706.jpg

Apple and Oranges.... two differently built rigs for two different purposes. Long arms are nice if your running 36's+ you need the bigger tires to make sure you clear your arms and don't get hung up. Sure there is more flex and if your running it on the road as a DD then the ride is smoother. Longer, taller bigger........ it's all relevant to what the owner/builder/driver wants to do with their rig.

Call it cute if you want but I've made it through stuff that all the locked up big swampered stuff got stuck in.

Ya did OK Spudd. Build it the way you want to.

Don't worry about the type of lift, just make sure it's a quality lift... not some home-built-micky-mouse-going-to-leave-you-stranded type lift.

This train of thought is perfect if you want a Jeep...

There's a ton of stuff you can go buy and bolt on or have someone else bolt on for you...

Never build any of it yourself, it will leave you stranded... Only use parts that are built by companies that know what they are doing and have tested it on the trail...:awesomework:

Latest posts