• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New Welder

mike d

Hey I got this welder from may dad. Was sitting in his shop still never been used. Any body got any input on this welder, Back when i was in highschool i took metals class, did TIG & MIG but no stick. Ive been trying to read up on this welder and see its capabilities. Im just trying to figure out what settings I want for different thickness of steel. Any input would help.

Thanks

Welder-1.jpg

Last edited:
Let me consult my crystal ball.... oh damn that's right, I don't have one. :flipoff: What brand/model is it?

Let me consult my crystal ball.... oh damn that's right, I don't have one. :flipoff: What brand/model is it?

Woops maybe my picture isnt showing correctly, but it is a miller Thunderbold XL AC/DC 300/200. Stick welder

Woops maybe my picture isnt showing correctly, but it is a miller Thunderbold XL AC/DC 300/200. Stick welder

Working now, I figured :wtf: there must be a pic that wasn't working. You can get the manual off Millerwelds.com, just plug in it's serial for the right revision. It should have some info to get you started, and as Sam said it also depends on the rod.

Damit, got all excited to brushen up on the welding skills, only to find that I dont have any 220 in my garage.:mad: Ive got 220 in the kitchen. Hmmmmmm?

Damit, got all excited to brushen up on the welding skills, only to find that I dont have any 220 in my garage.:mad: Ive got 220 in the kitchen. Hmmmmmm?

220 on your dryer?..... I believe that box can also be a powersource for a wire feed box. not sure tho. 200 amp stick! **** man that thing will burn up to like 1" with the right rod!

220 on your dryer?..... I believe that box can also be a powersource for a wire feed box. not sure tho. 200 amp stick! **** man that thing will burn up to like 1" with the right rod!

Dryer, 3Rd Floor=220

Kitchen, 2Nd Floor=220

Garage= Bottom Floor/ Welder.

Well, dont really think i want to mess with this one. Ah, any eletrcians out there?

220 on your dryer?..... I believe that box can also be a powersource for a wire feed box. not sure tho.

Yep, I've built a number of adapters to use 20 and 30 amp dryer circuits. As long as you don't try to pull too much you'll be fine, 20amp 220v is more than enough for working on a wheeler.

Yep, I've built a number of adapters to use 20 and 30 amp dryer circuits. As long as you don't try to pull too much you'll be fine, 20amp 220v is more than enough for working on a wheeler.

I had to run 40amp for mine cause my plasma cutter sucks a lot of juice.....

I hardly ever do but i wanted to be able to run it to max so i put a 40amp in

I hope you ran new wire all the way to the box....:eeek: I don't want to hear about your house burning down because you were chopping up your jeep and toasted the feed. :flipoff:

I hope you ran new wire all the way to the box....:eeek: I don't want to hear about your house burning down because you were chopping up your jeep and toasted the feed. :flipoff:

Well seems how the box was like 2 feet from where i wanted to put the plug......i sure did, put in a 2 pole breaker wired in whatever guage it is cant remember off hand then to the plug:flipoff:

Well seems how the box was like 2 feet from where i wanted to put the plug......i sure did, put in a 2 pole breaker wired in whatever guage it is cant remember off hand then to the plug:flipoff:

Perfect, I've done that twice myself now. :awesomework: Once in a rental and again in the house I currently own. The rental was easy, main panel was by the garage door and the studs were exposed. The house wasn't so easy, I have a 100A sub in the garage but the walls and ceiling are covered with 5/8" rock over 1/2" plywood. Took a little while to get the hole for the new box carved out with all that ply in the way. :redneck:

Perfect, I've done that twice myself now. :awesomework: Once in a rental and again in the house I currently own. The rental was easy, main panel was by the garage door and the studs were exposed. The house wasn't so easy, I have a 100A sub in the garage but the walls and ceiling are covered with 5/8" rock over 1/2" plywood. Took a little while to get the hole for the new box carved out with all that ply in the way. :redneck:

hahahahahaha, my box is exposed cause its in the garage...i think we have a 230amp box or somthing crazy like that cause we had an adition put on our house so we needed more power

hahahahahaha, my box is exposed cause its in the garage...i think we have a 230amp box or somthing crazy like that cause we had an adition put on our house so we needed more power

Just look at the big breaker at the top, that's the size panel you have. Ignore the others, don't try to add them up, doesn't work like that.

Just look at the big breaker at the top, that's the size panel you have. Ignore the others, don't try to add them up, doesn't work like that.

I know.....nvm i think we have a 200amp box yea its got two 100amp big breakers up top

Not a bad little unit you got there. You amps will all depend on how thick of material, rod type, and position your welding.