• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

newb air pressure question

Chevyjoe

gunna go up and play in the snow this weekend with some buddies. wonderin what im safe to air down to without blowin beads. im running 35x12.5s on 15x10 steelies. rig is a shortbox chevy. want to go as low as possible without blowin a bead. anybody have a suggestion? thanks

I could drive your truck all day on 5 PSI and not loss a bead but then I could put them at 20 PSI and blow 2 at the same time...

just go get a cig lighter air pump, some starter fluid, and some matches then air down to say 15 PSI and see what happens.

Definately find some source of air to pump up tires. Odds are someone will loose a bead. You got a spare?

yea, i have a fullsize spare and a cigarette lighter air compressor. my buddy (REBEL4WHEELIN) runs 37" mtrs on 15x8 steelies no beadlocks and hasnt lost a bead yet at 8 to 10 psi under a yota so i figured i would be alright at 12 to 15 psi? any thoughts?

I've ran 15 on skinny tires on the front of a powerstroke in the sand, so 15 in the snow with wider tires is more than plenty.

im gunna start at 15 and see how that goes. anybody tried that wheel glue tires places put on rusty wheels to glue/lock the bead on?

You can run a lower pressure on the rear since there is less weight there and it not steering the bead off ghe rim. fwiw, i rtust the scuff rim technique over the glue. Before you mount a tire use a wire wheel and scuff the bead surface to bare metal. Use water to lube tire tire to slip it on. The water and bare metal will rust the rim to the tire. Its damn strong given time.

I was running the same tires and found that 2-3 psi was good on my CJ but it would burp a bead and lose what little air was in there and roll the bead. 5 psi was safe but on a heavier rig it may not be. I would say no lower then 7 psi but start slow. Try 12 or 15 first. :awesomework:

You can run a lower pressure on the rear since there is less weight there and it not steering the bead off ghe rim. fwiw, i rtust the scuff rim technique over the glue. Before you mount a tire use a wire wheel and scuff the bead surface to bare metal. Use water to lube tire tire to slip it on. The water and bare metal will rust the rim to the tire. Its damn strong given time.

This sounds better then glue or sylicone. I have used both and when it comes time to change the tires you are better off burning them then trying to get them off by hand.

the only problem i was thinking was that since my rims are 10" wide that the bead will come off easier? so lets me get this straight, when i swap over to 3/4 ton stuff this winter break, take off the powdercoating on the 8 lug wheels i have and install the tires with water? how come this works better than the glue the tire places use?

With the amount of snow right now keep them aired up and buy a set of chains :awesomework:

otherwise 10-12 psi

thanks puo. you guys (insanity) headed anywhere this weekend?

The Shop :D getting rigs finished for when the snow to gets deeper.

edit: start at @12 psi and if your still having trouble drop the pressure a few psi at a time. Bring air, ratchet strap, and some starting fluid or brakleen if you lose a bead.

Have fun and if **** goes bad give me or pun a call we'll bail you out :redneck:

Last edited:
To think just the idea using something that explodes to seat a bead has gotten me ridiculed for a while. That stuff rocks, but I enjoy things that go boom.