• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

newb question...

dr drae

So I'm new to RC crawling, picked up the AX10 as a beginner kit, getting it set up. Question has to do w/motor break in, anyone got a link to how to do this PROPERLY? I keep reading things about running it hooked up to C batteries in water to clean the motor. Water turns **** brown, dry the thing out and lube the piss out of it, supposedly doubles the life of the motor? Is this BS or what? How to best break in a motor?

thx!

it seems that you can, you just need to get some contact cleaner, and some spray lube that you can use afterwards to get rid of the water, and from what I can tell, it doesnt gain anything life wise, but you get the brushes seated faster and skip a step by doing it in the water

got any advice on how to do it properly? sans water?

One FAQ I saw said run it on 3v (a few C batteries in series) w/o a load til the batteries die and it's done.

With that motor, you don't really need to do anything, just get out on the rocks, the amount of difference it makes is so minimal in our application, it isn't worth the hassle. Now if you were racing..............

If you're really, really worried about it (with a lathe motor, I don't bother) you can drive around slow (like half throttle) for a pack or two as well. I did that with my old Evader when I got a new motor, I don't know how much difference it made, but it was a slow boring process either way.

It's now a roller, having some electronics quirks, need to swing by the hobby shop tomorrow and get some advice, otherwise I'd have had some wheelin video to post. :cool: Went w/a bling JR high torque front servo and got a lesser bling rear servo, but I didn't realize the ax10 kit doesn't come w/rear tie rod/drag link, so I need that too. Softer springs would be nice, stockers are the stiffest of 5 they offer, don't know why they ship w/the stiffest, you'd think they'd ship w/the middle of the 5..? I've got a smaller orange H2 body I might pull the stickers off of and shoot black. Slap that on there cuz I already have it. At least until I figure out what body to run, that Betty body while cool, is overdone IMO. Maybe take a walk through Toys R Us tomorrow or something to see what's out there...

*$h1tty camera phone pics...
ax10_1.jpg

ax10_2.jpg

great start. I wouldn't worry about the rear steer if you want to compete with it a little. If it's just for fun then go for it.

I'd also loose the hummer body and stick with a lexan one. it will have a better center of gravity (CG). I say use the Betty body till you find one that you like. There are many choices and mount it as low as possible.

You should try to make it to the next comp this sunday.

The SUT body is just sitting up on the mounting studs, it'll sit at least an inch or more lower when mounted. I'm not feeling the Betty body, and don't want to put effort into it. Like I said I'll beat this body up while I look for something I like. :cool:

RE rear steer, I'll probably run it w/o for awhile to get a feel for it. Either wait for the axial tie rod/drag link kit to come out or build my own later. Don't know if I'll compete, this is more for just playing around.

what about putting a lockout on the rear steer so that you can compete? something like disconnect the servo, to knuckle rod, and hook to a fixed point? wouldnt that work as a lockout?

I don't know if I'll compete, got this more just for playing. Got the electrical figured out, had a good night wheelin. :cool:

i would not worry about break in. i have never and those motors are so cheap doesnt matter. i would get rid of that h2 body and get a wrangler or early bronco. looks good though curious as to how it works. good luck and have fun

rear stil is a lot o fun i made all my stuff for my tlt. go to your local hobby shop and get some all thread and aluminum tube and rod ends.

1 screw driver
couple mins w/the dremel
quick n dirty tape job
1 coat of semi gloss (yes John H, only 1, I'm reformed)

=

ax10_3.jpg

ax10_4.jpg

:redneck: god my camera phone sucks, the lense broke when I dropped it and the pics look even $h1ttier than normal... :redneck: