• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

wraith questions/problems

baja-toy

i bought a wraith about a week ago and ive been having some problems with it. just thought id run it by you guys and see what i should do about it. so i was under the impression that the electronics were water proofed from the factory. am i wrong? so far ive burned out 2 of the stock 20t motors. i ran it in the snow and it was fine. ran it through a few puddles and had it submerged and it was fine. then the only mod i made to it was adding a little weight to each tire and it ran pretty good for a while but then poof fried the motor. i know this seems like a duh theres your answer but i had at least double the weight in my scx10 with a 27t motor and i never had a problem. so my question is do i need to put a stronger motor in it or do some better water proofing?

Axials website does not claim for it to be waterproof and they say they vertically mount the esc (speed control) to keep debris and water off of it so your probably screwing up the esc. The receiver is in a waterproof box but it looks like the esc is out in the open. The brushed motor should be able to withstand the water no problem, I actually break my new motors in by running them slowly submerged in a cup of water, it helps keep the brushes cool while they r seating. But if you are driving thru really muddy or gritty water the debris could be causing ur brushes to hang up and if u apply throttle and hold it when the motors not turning u will fry the motor.

I'm not into scalers but Sean (wheelinjp) could probably give u some advice as to which escs are waterproof or the best way to waterproof ur electronics as he is big into scalers which constantly go thru.mud and water. Hope this helps
:awesomework:

U might of fried the esc when it was submerged in the water, the problem may not be with the motor. U can hook up a battery directly to ur motor, if it spins then its typically fine.

Now that I think of i,t I think I heard from some guys at one of our rc comps that the stock wraith motors burn up pretty quick, I think A lot of guys r switching to brushless setups. ur best bet would be to search the wraith section on rccrawler.com to see if its a common problem

Last edited:
Yeah I swung by the local hobby shop where I got it from and the suggested to either go brushless or do a 55t motor. Since it was only $20 for the 55t motor I went with that for now until I can afford the brushless combo I want. Thanks for the good info though.I'm hoping to get it all dialed in so I can bring it out to some of the get togethers

Awesome man, save up for a nice brushless setup you will love the power. Not sure if ur just running 2 cell Lipos (7.4v) now but if u do end up going to a nice brushless setup u could bump up to 3 cell (11.1v) for even more power, or if u feel like breakin **** go to 4 cell lol:redneck:

I have a mamba pro ESC 4s battery and a 20t crawlmaster. It is an absolutely awesome combo for crawling and Highspeed stuff:awesomework:

So after getting fed up with axials electronics burning up, I broke down and bought the Novak goat brushless system and a 3ch flysky tx/rx. So far so good.

So after getting fed up with axials electronics burning up, I broke down and bought the Novak goat brushless system and a 3ch flysky tx/rx. So far so good.

Many people are very happy with that Flysky radio, if you ever need extra channels for accessories like lights or winch theres a guy on rccrawler.com who makes a hack kit. IIRC the hack kit gets you like 8 channels and some other functions, there are alot of people who are using the hack kit:awesomework:

Many people are very happy with that Flysky radio, if you ever need extra channels for accessories like lights or winch theres a guy on rccrawler.com who makes a hack kit. IIRC the hack kit gets you like 8 channels and some other functions, there are alot of people who are using the hack kit:awesomework:

Thanks for the heads up. Now I'm having a problem with the Novak motor. It was working great then a had to adjust the slipper clutch and after that the motor wouldn't respond. I checked the connection and redid one that looked iffy. Ive got to where now if I give it some throttle and then twist the output it will start up and run through the range of speeds but once it stops it won't start again until I twist it. Its like it has a dead spot. Any suggestions on how to fix this or do I need a new motor