• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Nitrous on lq4 motor

jccarter1

Let me start by saying I am not a motor genius it is something I really don't have much experience with when it comes to power adders or high performance motor builds but I have really wondered about nitrous on a ls in a buggy for trail riding and just when you need that little bit extra. So the questions I have are
1) how reliable would it be if used a 100-150 shot
2) what do you do about timing and would you need a controller
3) what about revlimiter
4) direct injection or fogger
5) could I run a momentary switch and just hit it when I want and as long as I want

These might be dumb questions I just thinking it would be kinda cool to have on a rig if you have any info please share just want to learn more about it

Re:

100-150 wet kit on stock timing and it will love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I think you can set them up to only inject at WOT. Makes sense since I can't see much reason to run it at less than wide open.

Keeping bottle pressures correct would be the biggest issue with spray on a trail rig. In the cold the pressures would drop and be really rich.

Stay away from the rev limiter , best bet is to use a msd window switch with a wot switch or a button , then you can keep it from going snap crackle and pop.

100ish jetting for stock timing of you want it to live but keep in mind a 100 shot nitrous express isn't = to 100 shot nos kit.

I have a ton of left over nitrous bits if you need anything

A single nozzle dry kit will be easier to deal with

nitrous is alot of fun here are somethings that will help you have more fun and keep your engine alive

1. use a wet shot only
2. ues a nitrous controller like one of these https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodlist.asp?idcategory=23
3. the larger the hp shot the less time that you have ie. at 100hp you have about 2-3sec before the bottle presure starts to drop. a 50hp shot on a street car is a blast to drive
4 use a bottle heater like one of these https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17

84mallcrawl said:
nitrous is alot of fun here are somethings that will help you have more fun and keep your engine alive

1. use a wet shot only
2. ues a nitrous controller like one of these https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodlist.asp?idcategory=23
3. the larger the hp shot the less time that you have ie. at 100hp you have about 2-3sec before the bottle presure starts to drop. a 50hp shot on a street car is a blast to drive
4 use a bottle heater like one of these https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17

What's your reasoning on the wet shot ?

Re: Nitrous on lq4 motor

8751604ba876cdaaa201be6dd4b8c85e.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Nitrous on lq4 motor

rednecklights said:
What's your reasoning on the wet shot ?

WHIZARD said:
I am wondering the same.
Simpler....easier to manipulate A/F ratios.

Ran a dry kit on my mustang....was always quirky. Switched to wet performed alot better.

I think it may really just come down to personal preference.... in my personal preference is I like the wet shot.

And if you wanted to get really cool with it you could just run a dedicated hi octane fuel system on the wet shot.

Re:

I agree a wet shot would be best, don't forget to re gap your plugs . I ran a 150 shot on a high mileage stock ls1 with timing pulled for years with no problems. I had a fuel pressure safety switch, a full throttle switch and a msd window switch.
You can run 93 octane up to a 200 shot

To be honest with ya, unless you are hill killing in a competition, leave that stuff alone, unless you like spending money and working on ****! These rigs are hard enough on parts as is, and when you throw another 100+ hp to it like flipping a light switch on, something goin to break.

zukimaster said:
To be honest with ya, unless you are hill killing in a competition, leave that stuff alone, unless you like spending money and working on ****! These rigs are hard enough on parts as is, and when you throw another 100+ hp to it like flipping a light switch on, something goin to break.

someone had to say it. :dblthumb:

I use a 150 shot on my ls2 vette all the time. If you are worried about bottle pressures dropping run a NANO kit with the nitrous kit. It attatches a nitrogen tank to your nitrous bottle and keeps it at optimal pressure until bottle is completely empty. So no need to worry about pressures dropping as tank gets low.
https://www.nano-nitrous.com/

I've probably blown up more engines learning about spray than most on hardline so I've learned the hard way .... Coming from a 10.5 outlaw background and multiple stage nitrous kits etc I can honestly say to get the most out of a street car or a drag strip ET a wet kit is the way to go. But even then a nozzle per cylinder is the only option.

On a trail rig ls based a dry kit is the best way to roll , sure you may not be getting 100% out of your kit but what your not going to fight is fuel puddling in the intake and then POW !

The reason behind the wet shot is that you are not depending on your main fuel system (injectors) to support the extra hp, most factory ecus won't react fast enough to add the extra fuel needed to prevent detonation, and adjusting the amount of fuel with a wet kit is a simple jet change. As far as gasoline ponding the controller can bring that to a minimum by not engaging at too low of rpm