• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

no good at this...

f(x) is just and abbreviation.

f(x) is "f as a function of x" commonly read as "f of x"

f is literally equal to 6x-5

x is the variable, it is just a place to input a value. any value.

f(f(x)) is the function "f" with the function "f" in place of x. (the variable in this "new" function is the whole original function)

same with g.

The letters aren't important, they are just placeholders, or abbreviations.

All you have in the first picture is 2 functions (and 2nd order composition of those functions)

There is nothing to "solve", because there is no question being asked.

Basically you have the start of a math problem, without the problem statement.

for example:

If you asked "Find the value of x where f(x)=g(x)" you could do the math out and solve for x.

Beerj said:
So is "f" not 1? And "g" not .5? I know some of that stuff are examples of things I'll never understand. If it's not degrees or fractions I can see on a ruler, I'm pretty much retarded.

No.

if x=1, then f(1)=1 and g(1)=1/2

Yeah it's noted what f of x and g of x equals at the top, but all the rest of the things written are not clear to me what the actual equation to solve would be.

I thought x would equal the 6x-5, not f? Like f(x) = 6x-5 so then it would mean f(6x-5), the 6x-5 would be in place of x so x would equal that?

Funny, the first thing she said was that it wasn't a question. There's really nothing to solve. Now she's getting mad because I still don't understand. Lol. My brain is missing that part where things like that make sense.

TacomaJD said:
Yeah it's noted what f of x and g of x equals at the top, but all the rest of the things written are not clear to me what the actual equation to solve would be.

I thought x would equal the 6x-5, not f? Like f(x) = 6x-5 so then it would mean f(6x-5), the 6x-5 would be in place of x so x would equal that?

x can't equal an equation that contains x.

because x always equals x....

if you said "x=6x-5" and the value of x is 2, you end up with 2=6(2)-5... which would mean 2=7.... which is obviously not true.

Beerj said:
Funny, the first thing she said was that it wasn't a question. There's really nothing to solve. Now she's getting mad because I still don't understand. Lol. My brain is missing that part where things like that make sense.

maybe think of it this way,

"f" is how far you can drive in your truck, with any amount of gas "x".

If your truck gets 12 miles per gallon, you would say: " I can drive 12 times how ever many gallons of gas I put in my truck",

simplified as

12 times "x" ................... so "12x"

so f(x)=12x

If x=2, you can drive 24 miles.

If x=100, you can drive 120 miles.

We make "functions" and "equations" all the time in daily life, it's just the way that they are put on paper that confuses people if they haven't had to take any "higher level" math.

I'm glad you took the lead on this one. I rolled my eyes and clicked on the next thread. I am way better at x,y,z than I am at most of the building and maintaining my ****. Though, I am way not patient enough to explain it to someone else.

TBItoy said:

if you said "x=6x-5" and the value of x is 2, you end up with 2=6(2)-5... which would mean 2=7.... which is obviously not true.

You are right, had to think a minute.

TBItoy said:

if you said "x=6x-5" and the value of x is 2, you end up with 2=6(2)-5... which would mean 2=7.... which is obviously not true
yes but x = 1 works, as for F I have no idea

How about some Calculus, it is not finished. Determine the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=(2x^2+3x-1)^(1/2), the y-axis, the x-axis & x=2 about the line y=-1.

rockwell 1 said:
How about some Calculus, it is not finished. Determine the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=(2x^2+3x-1)^(1/2), the y-axis, the x-axis & x=2 about the line y=-1.
That's pretty good Steve, I can't believe you can right that many numbers let alone know what all that crap means. I smell help!