• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

np205 Speedo junk

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So my np205 didnt come with a speedo thing in the side of it. is it possible to just take my old one out of my np207 and throw it in? It's a cable operated speedo, Any suggestions? I want to know if it'll bolt right up ot the one in my '84 s-10, I have never really had to mess around with the speedo much before and want to make sure it's hooked up right.

OH, and if you happen to have a np205 speedo thingy laying around please let me know:corn:

well maybe i'll check the other 205 case i have to see if it's in there, I wouldn't need the whole slip yoke would I?, just the piece that goes into it (the actual speedo stuff), or are you trying to just get rid of both pieces?

I looked at it closer this afternoon. The speedo is on the piece between the slip yoke and the main case. I don't know if the slip yoke has to stay or not but I would guess yes. Prety sure the main ouput shaft has the drive for the speedo and prety sure it's part of the slip yoke......
I don't know if these parts will work for you or not but you can have them if you come and get them in Everett.

I haven't had a working speedo for about 8 years now. I have a LOW mileage truck..

I do actually have a speedo in my NP205 but the adaptor I got says I'm doing 90 in a parking lot... So I've not taken the time to get the right gear setups to see if I'm doing 1, 2 or 3 MPH on the trail :)

On a Ford NP205, the speedo gear is part of the cable. You might want to search on Pirate4x4.com under the Chevy forum. But I would say it is almost impossible to make a S-10/Ford speedo cable work. Your best bet would be to plug the hole in the t-case rear output, and get a GPS speedometer.

On a Ford NP205, the speedo gear is part of the cable. You might want to search on Pirate4x4.com under the Chevy forum. But I would say it is almost impossible to make a S-10/Ford speedo cable work. Your best bet would be to plug the hole in the t-case rear output, and get a GPS speedometer.

The gear is defintely not part of the cable on the ones I have. The cable screws on just like most all of the others do.

I have 17 NP205s: 10 Chevy/Dodges, 7 Fords. All the Ford 205s use the same style speedo cable, there is a small gear built onto the end of the cable, this goes into the rear output housing, and is held in with a metal retainer clip and a 1/4-20? bolt. What does the end of a S-10 speedo cable look like? I can't remember. I have put a divorced 205 in a 1-ton S-10 pickup for a customer, about 3 years ago but I don't remember how I did the speedo.

"The gear is defintely not part of the cable on the ones I have. The cable screws on just like most all of the others do." This is how the Chevy/Dodge 205 ones attach.

Hmm... I will go take some pics and report back.

Hey man if you want the speedo gear and cable and can go pull that and get it to you anytime:awesomework: The ford is getting chopped up anyways so its all getting tossed. . . . Anything you need or want let me know, I got everything still:cool: