• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Nylon Brake Line

Jhouser

Has anyone used Nylon brake line on a crawler before? How did it hold up. Also what size An line do you use for the flex line -3 or -4 or does it matter? Thanks, Joey

A lot of people run them now. I know my buggy wasnt the first out there with them, but it was one of the first on Hardline to have them.
I never had a problem in 3 years (no longer a buggy owner). Only two leaks, one was when I dropped the caliper and pulled the line out, and one when I backed into some serious brush and a limb reached in and bent my right rear over creating a pin hole leak.

Not sure what you mean by flex line. My entire brake system was the nylon line. I ran all Nylon from the Wilwood Mastercylinder, through the cutting brakes, down the links, and across the axle straight into the calipers.

At the caliper drilled and tap the inverted flare out to a 1/4" NPT and then use a 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT adapter. Then just screwed the supplied fitting right into the caliper.

InDaShop said:
A lot of people run them now. I know my buggy wasnt the first out there with them, but it was one of the first on Hardline to have them.
I never had a problem in 3 years (no longer a buggy owner). Only two leaks, one was when I dropped the caliper and pulled the line out, and one when I backed into some serious brush and a limb reached in and bent my right rear over creating a pin hole leak.

Not sure what you mean by flex line. My entire brake system was the nylon line. I ran all Nylon from the Wilwood Mastercylinder, through the cutting brakes, down the links, and across the axle straight into the calipers.

At the caliper drilled and tap the inverted flare out to a 1/4" NPT and then use a 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT adapter. Then just screwed the supplied fitting right into the caliper.
I was talking about a flex line like a rubber on stainless line between the chassis and axle and from the axle to the caliper. I did not know how flexable the Nylon is if you could use it for everything or if you needed something else. Thanks for the info i think i will give it a shot

My last rig and my current rig has it. It is tough. I have stainless braided running to the caliper like you are talking about.

bigsilly said:
My last rig and my current rig has it. It is tough. I have stainless braided running to the caliper like you are talking about.
Do you have the nylon running down the link bars or a braided line from chassis to axle then more nylon out to the wheels an another braided to the caliper. :dunno:

a buddy of mine (mikebrsa on here) bought a kit and never used it since he was having a hard time finding the fittings for the MC he had on his jeep. I think he still has the kit, send him a PM and he might be able to hook ya up.

Brian

Jhouser said:
Do you have the nylon running down the link bars or a braided line from chassis to axle then more nylon out to the wheels an another braided to the caliper. :dunno:

The only braided I have is at the caliper.

my buggy had it from the master cylinder to the calipers. my calipers got hot and melted the nylon right at the caliper, i put a peice of hard line about 10" long on the caliper and never had another problem

Been running it for 5 years both go fast :driving: and crawling. I have had really good luck with it, its very nice for quick repairs but you need to protect it from heat and abrasion

save the promblem of broke brake line on the trail. i would run steel line everywhere except at each link and each caliper run braided there. i looked at the nylon line but think anout how many arb lines get tore off or broke its pretty much same deal in my opinion i think it just a a bad idea

I run it on mine. Rockwild had it on his single seater. Works really well. What I did was short hardline out of the MC then just compression fitting from that to the nylon and the same anywhere that I had to convert to inverted flare. Then used -4 stainless at the calipers. Super easy to work on. Routing is a big thing with it so you don't have to worry about it. That is usually the problem with ARB line too. Poor routing. I also sleaved my nylon line with some clear rubber hose so I had less risk of abrasion if anything could contact it.

72dozer` said:
save the promblem of broke brake line on the trail. i would run steel line everywhere except at each link and each caliper run braided there. i looked at the nylon line but think anout how many arb lines get tore off or broke its pretty much same deal in my opinion i think it just a a bad idea
3-4 years and never broke an ARB line that I recall. The stuff is pretty stout.

Pros for the plastic lines
- stupid cheap
- simple repairs
- simple install with minimal fittings (leaks)
- flat out works for a trail rig

Cons
- Must route away from anything that gets warm/hot or has sharp edges
- Help me out here....what are some other cons?

Bones said:
- Help me out here....what are some other cons?

Its not DOT.

I'd run that **** again in a minute. And it is pretty heat resistant. And its cheap enough you can run it away and around heat sources with EASE! Many I cant imagine getting the caliper so hot that it melts that ****. Did you have an immediate flashfire when the brake fluid sprayed the rotor and caliper?

My thing is It has to expand some and will make brakes feel spongy inked pinion brakes because it takes very Lil to make them work flawless

The only issue I would see with expanding would be with power brakes. All the ones I've run have been on non-power setups. It is used all the time on dirt track race cars without any issues and I've seen their brakes get glowing red.