• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Off Road Clubs

money_pit_yj

How many off you guys are in off road clubs? The few in our area seem to be filled with a bunch of arrogant peckerheads. Thats not to say they all are that way, but the ones who are the most visible are just not folks I would want to hang out with. IS that the case all over or just because we are close to a major metropolitan area?

Agreed. Most are ****. Otherwise though, I've had the pleasure of being a member and a part of the leadership team of Matanzas Jeep Club down in St. Augustine, FL. They are a strong group of Jeepers that give quite a lot to wounded veterans and to the community of responsible wheelers. We don't have much to wheel in FL so we try to protect sacred grounds. At one point while I was VP our roster had 82% of our membership listed as veteran, active duty or reserves. They still do an annual event up in real wheeling country and I try to go if for nothing else than to spend time with the troops that are guests of honor. Good folks that have pulled together for good reasons.

Only 2 clubs I even know of, the Hardline guys and a local TJ/4"/35"s Jeep **** type club. Can't afford to travel much, so JohnG's guys are out, gravel road and puddle jumping isn't fun at all, so Jeep dicks are out. I have a group of friends with similarly built rigs, more or less, that I wheel with. So unaffiliated.

No clubs for me. I dont particularly care for the way my local "official" clubs are run. like others here I have a good group of friends with well built rigs and we all stick together. My wheeling time is my getaway from the real world. ..I don't need drama, dues, or some mall crawler messing it up for me.

Re: Re: Off Road Clubs

1tonyj said:
No clubs for me. I dont particularly care for the way my local "official" clubs are run. like others here I have a good group of friends with well built rigs and we all stick together. My wheeling time is my getaway from the real world. ..I don't need drama, dues, or some mall crawler messing it up for me.
My problem was being in an offroad "club" with people that didn't or wouldn't go 4wheelin.

I'm also just not as into it as I was 7-8 years ago when I was single, had no obligations or responsibility, so I could be gone from home Friday-Sunday pretty much anytime I wanted. I've also become much more of a fair weather wheeler. Rain suits and winchfests are not my idea of a fun weekend anymore

I've never been in a club but been wheeling since 98 when tellico was the place to be. Got several life long buddies here in south Georgia that keep me going. Some older some younger. You got to figure I got a ****ing Yukon. Who wheels one of those tanks. Nobody in a jeep club would even have me. Hell I started out tagging along in a bronco club driving a 78 Chevy pickup. I was the step child.. Lol

I have found it more fun to just go wheel'n with like minded friends. Ones that have similarly built rigs and not scared to get out on the trail. If someone becomes a bitch, they dont get called for the next time we ride.

I'll go into further detail at a later time.... but, for the most part at the "Top of the heap" of clubs are six or seven guys that are just wanting to make money off of guys that buy parts..... it all looks good at the onset, but ultimately they want your money, like a chick at a strip club, there is an occasional exception where the club wants to contribute money to worth while causes but, my experience is like most of the guys that have posted before this.... just not in it for the right reasons and then they whine when you cut them out of your relationship with them...... most like a washer/dryer wash/rinse/ dry repeat..... yes I am tired of clubs .... try a Jeep club and see what I mean.....lol .... :flipgotcha:

1tonyj said:
x2.... damn I think you guys struck a nerve. thumb.gif

Been around and wheeled with quite a few different clubs here in NC and all I've met have been good people. Been with mud devils 4x4 club since '07. We're a private club and a lot like a big family as much as anything. Clubs can be a good way to make sure you have other people to go wheeling with on a regular basis. That's what got me interested in the first club I was ever part of.

Side note, I"m going to Colorado wheeling with a friend from there this yr. Last yr we had six members go to Moab together. When my wife learned no one else from the club was going she was concerned and asked what we would do if something happened out there and we needed help in some sort of way. I chuckled, I'm not concerned at all. I've never been around rock crawlers that didn't help each other out when in need. Who hasn't ever been on the other end of that?

It's not the idea of a club that bothers me. It's "that guy". The guy with the Oakleys and ginormous watch, NorthFace jacket, and khakis. He has a red TJ, 4", on 35"s, open/limited slip, LEDs, Yeti, and a bunch of bling **** of no practical use. This guy is the leader and we have to ride on whatever candy ass trails he feels comfortable on, nothing with branches to scratch the paint, no more than 10* off camber, no ledges higher than a foot, yet the Jeep has Moab and Telluride stickers...

I ain't wheelin with that guy. :flipgotcha:

Edit- 3000 posts! :woot:

Re:

No club, we just a bunch of like minded folks rocking a logo "BottomsUpOffroad!!! Yeah we consume adult beverages and beat the **** outta our junk and make fun of "that guy"!!

Most of you guys are nailing it so far. Some of you guys know me but to the rest. I am the 2015 president of CAOS. Our club has been around since 1999 even has quit a bit of history with Hardline as well. We have been able to put on a few events (Fall for All) that were a lot of fun for everyone. Our club has about 50 members this year. I have been a member for about 6 years now.
We have nearly every type of rig and driver named. Leaf lookers, rock bouncers, mall crawlers, wannabe race car drivers.
None of our membership dues go in any members pocket. We cover expenses, cater a few meals and give yearly to charity. Recently we gave a significant donation to Joey and Megan Gilbert to help with funeral expenses for the loss of their twins.
Trying to keep all the different people happy is the hardest part for me. Some like to travel some don't. We have a meeting and club ride per month members are encouraged to come but not required.
We usually split into groups of like rigs and friends when we ride anyway much like you guys describe.
Our club is a family oriented club which is what works for me having young children. Members do good to watch their language around the women and children. It is nice to wheel with folks that wont be creeping someones teenage girl and watching our for everyone.
An offroad club is not for everyone but I have made of ton of friends and feel we have do some good for the all of us in the off road community.
Often people ask if CAOS is still around and we defiantly are, we just plan our rides around the big events to keep down on traffic jams in the trails.
Hopefully as things develop in the future we can have an event again like the good ole days.

If anyone ever has questions regarding our club just post up or sent me a pm. I would be glad to help.

I've seen two very good groups of off-roader (ATVs) go downhill in a hurry after becoming "official clubs". We had the second largest group at Harlan during the ATV Nation ride (first biggest was the Ridge Runners). A facebook group was made not too long ago and got a lot of members, then decided they were going official. I made a post that if they got too serious it would likely fail, and my post was removed. I have my suspensions as to why, since they collect money to be a premium member or whatever they call it.

I don't like a lot of people or crowds. I'm very social with the folks I want to be. With the folks I dont........well........ I'm a bit abrasive. I deal with stupid for a living so I damn sure don't want to wheel with stupid. I wheel with a few folks mainly. A few from here and a few not. **** a lifted mall crawler sportin flat bill wearin fag and his club. I don't want to start about those penis envy bitches that can "do anything a a man can do better" inverted penis havin bitches that drive said mall crawlers with the femi-nazi stickers all over it like "this isn't my husbands rig" and "not all women are passengers". True story. Real women off-roaders don't feel they have something to prove. Enough about that rant.

pholmann said:
I don't like a lot of people or crowds. I'm very social with the folks I want to be. With the folks I dont........well........ I'm a bit abrasive. I deal with stupid for a living so I damn sure don't want to wheel with stupid. I wheel with a few folks mainly. A few from here and a few not. **** a lifted mall crawler sportin flat bill wearin fag and his club. I don't want to start about those penis envy bitches that can "do anything a a man can do better" inverted penis havin bitches that drive said mall crawlers with the femi-nazi stickers all over it like "this isn't my husbands rig" and "not all women are passengers". True story. Real women off-roaders don't feel they have something to prove. Enough about that rant.

:rolf: Troof!