• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

oil accumulator

ratedX

New rig has an accumulator under the seat with a hand valve what's the procedure for using this thing?

There are several ways.

To check oil. Crank engine. Shut valve. Shut off engine. Check oil.

That is all I do.

Also if. With engine running. Turn off valve. Shut off engine. Before cranking next time, you can open the valve to pre-lube the engine.

Should be a gauge on it also to see if it has pressure in it.

I have one and when cranking I open the valve and let the oil pressure read on the gauge then crank this way it never dry cranks.

Always shut the valve before cutting motor off if not it will dump the oil from accumulator into the motor when shut down.

I dont know which you have but they all generelly work the same. Here is the full instructions on how use an accusump

http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html

bbone said:
good info...was thinking about running one when i put my motor back in...worth it?

I don't on Solo Buggy that has a Gen1 engine. But do on the 38 Special that is LS based. LS motor will die a silent death, where the Gen1 valves will start chattering on low oil pressure. I have no idea if it would have helped your failure, but I don't think it was a lubrication issue.

Just to learn something here...

Wouldn't leaving the valve open all the time mean the accumulator isn't actually doing anything? Or...does it still provide a buffer for any situation where oil pressure might drop like in off camber situations?

I've been wondering about these for a while now so learning how they work is nice.

That's how I'm seeing it too and if it's open that means there's 9 quarts in the pan at start up

clemsonjeep said:
If the valve is open all the time all the extra oil is in the motor when shut off. As soon as the oil pressure reaches the pressure you have the accumulator set at (12 on mine) it pulls 3 quarts or whatever size you have back in the accumulator. If mine oil pressure drops below 12 it starts pumping oil in to maintain 12 psi.

I choose to turn mine on and off so my motor has oil pressure before I crank it. Lots of folks do it this way and the way John G does it
They also make and electric switch to turn it off and on when a switch is cut off or on.

ratedX said:
That's how I'm seeing it too and if it's open that means there's 9 quarts in the pan at start up

Correct

so just to be clear...

i don't have to fool with the valve every time i crank up or shut down...only when i need to check the oil/fill the oil.

bbone said:
so just to be clear...

i don't have to fool with the valve every time i crank up or shut down...only when i need to check the oil/fill the oil.

Ben, that is what I do on the 38 Special. I would use it also to prelube the engine if the valve was not under the hood. Just a packaging issue. Someone mentioned a electric valve. I like that idea, but will probably not go through the hassle to implement it. I want it simply to add oil to the engine if very bad off camber or upside down where the oil pump temporarily stops working. Now, if I had a super dooper expensive motor, I guess I would be more concerned about a dry startup. But mine is basically the same motor as in my 2007 Chevy Pickup, so I just don't see the need.