• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Oil Preferences?

WickEdKewl

OK, what do you all run for oil in your deisels? Rotella?

In case you missed it, we got the '92 1st gen CTD & we really need to do an oil change. Something special for turbo deisels?

after doing some reading online, some temperature / viscosity tests, etc... when I purchase my used Diesel (soon hopefully) I will be spending the extra $$$$ and running Amsoil.

the new Delo has some people switching away from it.. I still run it, but not sure if I will for much longer.. I will most likely go towards the Amsoil as well... once I fix that dang oil leak :rolleyes:

the new Delo has some people switching away from it.. I still run it, but not sure if I will for much longer.. I will most likely go towards the Amsoil as well... once I fix that dang oil leak :rolleyes:

So why are folks switching away from the new stuff? Why will you switch?

it's because of the new emissions standards... I guess the metro busses in the area have been running Delo for decades... With the new emissions oil they are having wear problems and are leading to engine failure, which they did not experiance with the old Delo oil.. They switched to Rotella if I remember right, after numerous engine failures with the Delo..

Also not long ago.. Chevron stated that the old stuff is just fine to use with new emissions engines.. So I'm HOPING that they will produce it again.. But I have a feeling that they will keep the new stuff just to make them look better in the eyes of the EPA..

We did some looking and you can still buy the old delo, But it is a 5 gallon bucket. We found this out from the local chevron dist, wondrack in Yakima. The old cummins dont like the new dello le stuff.

Rotella :awesomework:

Back when I got my truck, Lincolnlocked told about the tests he saw that rated Rotella the best. That was good enough for me.

I've always used the valvoline 15-40 stuff with the Cummins insiginia on the bottle. Anyone seen any test reports on that? I'm not sure it is a huge big deal in my case because the rig only sees 10k miles/year. I'm convinced the body is going to die long before the motor.

How often do you guys change your oil? I called Cummins northwest and they say every 10k.

Last edited:
I've always used the castrol 10-40 stuff with the Cummins insiginia on the bottle. Anyone seen any test reports on that? I'm not sure it is a huge big deal in my case because the rig only sees 10k miles/year. I'm convinced the body is going to die long before the motor.

How often do you guys change your oil? I called Cummins northwest and they say every 10k.

I've always used Delo.....but w/ the new stuff, I'm not sure....may switch to rotella..

I vary how often I change the oil quite a bit depending on conditions.....but usually between 5k and 8k miles....if there's some real long trips in there like I tend to do from time to time, I'll let it go longer, cuz I figure long runs at virtually constant rpm's are about the easiest thing on the motor/oil...
but lots of short tripping, and I'll change it sooner.

my $.02