• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Older Tow Rigs

we talking older tow rigs??

i love mine

hldsto2h.png

PTR0ZOrh.png

Here's my antique tow rig, gets about 6 mpg towing, will not win a race uphill with a diesel, but super simple and cheap to maintain.
3aba6acaf3fd3b817523c7276af64c11.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

KPatterson said:
I`m starting to like the idea of a 2500 Avalanche. You can get one for 8-9k with about 125k miles on them. Seems like a lot of bang for your buck.

worth noting. the 8.1 avalanche and suburban had 4L80e transmission.

they only put the allison in the 2500 pickups with 8.1. i dont know if the allison was in all 2500 8.1's or it was optional but I know the only way to get allison/8.1 combo was in a pickup...

I don't have any experience with an Allison tranny, but never have had problems with my 4L80e. Pulled some loads that were way heavier than its rating. I wouldn't think twice about owning another.

Re:

Avalanches and suburbans actually have a 4l85e to help handle the extra power.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

the_white_shadow said:
Here is my old tow rig (currently for sale). '92 D350, 12V, 5spd.

That's my favorite 1st gen Cummins.. I've seen pics of it floating around on the internet.. I wish that somehow I could come buy that thing, but I ain't about to make a payment on a 25 y/o truck.

Looks like the 2004 2500-3500 trucks with the 8.1L or 6.6 L diesels are the only ones listed with Allison transmission. Of course my link looks to only cover older that 2004 vehicles. Which sticks with the theme of an older tow rig.