• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Older Tow Rigs

Re:

I don't think an Allison would fit in a Suburb/Ally so they just beefed up the 4l80 from what I've read.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How big of a truck do you want? I bought a '04 GMC C5500 for $3500. It was an old Schwanns truck, hence the yellow. It had LPG injection on the 8.1, which I removed and went back to gas. Has an Allison 1000 and a Dana S150S. 12' frame rails without the reefer. Bought a Knapheide 12' bed off of CL for 700. Super clean medium duty truck for under $5k.

Skrmbld said:
Looks like the 2004 2500-3500 trucks with the 8.1L or 6.6 L diesels are the only ones listed with Allison transmission. Of course my link looks to only cover older that 2004 vehicles. Which sticks with the theme of an older tow rig.

My 01 2500 GMC 8.1 has an Allison.

I went from a 01 F250 with a 7.3 and 6spd. To the 01 2500 GMC 8.1 and have no regrets. I love this truck.

dmtfabrication said:
How big of a truck do you want? I bought a '04 GMC C5500 for $3500.

At my work we piddle with box trucks A LOT. Replacing boxes, removing boxes and altering the wheelbase (tanker conversion), I always wanted to take one of the 6.0 LS Isuzu's and make a ramp truck out of it. Maybe even take a Pete sleeper and put it on the front of the bed like Patrick's creeper sleeper. The Explorer weighs 5500 lbs though, so I'd have to be careful not to overload it.

Re:

Jus browsing the interwebz and saw this lil unit. Can't remember if these motors sucked or were awesome. Clean older truck though.

http://maryvilleautosales.com/cars/1995-chevrolet-silverado-reg-cab-2500/

the 7.3L E 350 van idea sounds like a winner to me. Camper and tow rig, if you could find one with a Quigley 4x4 conversion that would be flashemifyougotem

5BrothersFabrication said:
At my work we piddle with box trucks A LOT. Replacing boxes, removing boxes and altering the wheelbase (tanker conversion), I always wanted to take one of the 6.0 LS Isuzu's and make a ramp truck out of it. Maybe even take a Pete sleeper and put it on the front of the bed like Patrick's creeper sleeper. The Explorer weighs 5500 lbs though, so I'd have to be careful not to overload it.

The frame on this one is 5/16 and is 8" tall (i think). It's doubled up between the axles too. The GVWR is over 19,500 so I'm not too concerned about overloading it. The frame was rusty because the box hid it and no one cleaned the thing. My plan is to build a dovetail off of the flat bed and just drive up on it. The high CG worries me, but it wouldn't be much worse than a rollback.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Jus browsing the interwebz and saw this lil unit. Can't remember if these motors sucked or were awesome. Clean older truck though.

http://maryvilleautosales.com/cars/1995-chevrolet-silverado-reg-cab-2500/

Buddy of mine had a truck like it, but dually. Raced dirt late model, open trailer. One time we went to a race in Crossville, had to fill up at Northshore (West Knoxville), went to Crossville, on the way back had to fill up at the Lovell Rd exit (West Knoxville). Pulled like a mofo, but car was only 2275 lbs, trailer not much more, and sucked down that much fuel in ~3 hours of driving. :dunno:

Re:

5BrothersFabrication said:
Buddy of mine had a truck like it, but dually. Raced dirt late model, open trailer. One time we went to a race in Crossville, had to fill up at Northshore (West Knoxville), went to Crossville, on the way back had to fill up at the Lovell Rd exit (West Knoxville). Pulled like a mofo, but car was only 2275 lbs, trailer not much more, and sucked down that much fuel in ~3 hours of driving. :dunno:

That sounds like my truck I can go thru 15 gallons quick! :****:

Dwill817 said:
That's my favorite 1st gen Cummins.. I've seen pics of it floating around on the internet.. I wish that somehow I could come buy that thing, but I ain't about to make a payment on a 25 y/o truck.

drool drool A guy in my neighborhood has two of them in his yard but they don't look as good as yours!

I found an older tow rig to complete this topic. Picked up this eye sore today. 2000 7.3 E350 dually cutaway. It was originally an ambulance. Previous owner is a diesel mechanic so hopefully it's been maintained well. Plans are to scrap/sell the utility bed. And build a low hauler style 13-14' bed that sits below the top of the frame rails. Drove it 2 hours home. Runs and drives great. I didn't realize how much of a dog a stock 7.3 is.
8bee1878e43b35d3cfd4f5dcc3792237.jpg

46d6bbf0fb4eb0050c477488421c0893.jpg

KPatterson said:
I found an older tow rig to complete this topic. Picked up this eye sore today. 2000 7.3 E350 dually cutaway. It was originally an ambulance. Previous owner is a diesel mechanic so hopefully it's been maintained well. Plans are to scrap/sell the utility bed. And build a low hauler style 13-14' bed that sits below the top of the frame rails. Drove it 2 hours home. Runs and drives great. I didn't realize how much of a dog a stock 7.3 is.
8bee1878e43b35d3cfd4f5dcc3792237.jpg

46d6bbf0fb4eb0050c477488421c0893.jpg

That's an interesting contraption. I think I have finally found my next truck after about 2 weeks of looking and 30 hours of research.

94xjsport94 said:
That's an interesting contraption. I think I have finally found my next truck after about 2 weeks of looking and 30 hours of research.
A contraption is an understatement. Its down right ugly, but the drivetrain is stong. Its a good cheap platform to build exactly what I want.

Mortalis5509 said:
Is it what I sent you?

Assuming there is no major blow by or anything and a few other things, hopefully so.
KPatterson said:
A contraption is an understatement. Its down right ugly, but the drivetrain is stong. Its a good cheap platform to build exactly what I want.

As long as you said it first, it's fugly. Haha

Based on the parking lots of various off-road parks, there are quite a few more older tow rigs out there.

Who else is rocking older tow rigs?