• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

On Board Air Plumbing

84Toyota4x4

Simple question Im debating. Should the oil/water separator be right after the compressor before the tank, or after the air leaves the tank like a typical air compressor at home? In case it matters, Im using a York.

~T.J.

hot air doesn't coalesce as well as cooler air, and after the tank air will be cooler. On a york compressor, you won't be oiling it like a vane-type so after the tank, as close to your quick-disconnect fittings as possible. Metal lines will help the air cool and condense the moisture out better.

Draining the moisture out of the tank periodically would be a good idea.

i tried everything and gave up. the york does allow oil in the air but for tires its not enough to worry about. air tools like it. every thing i tried either didnt work well or broke.

been running the same setup for ten years no worries.

hot air doesn't coalesce as well as cooler air, and after the tank air will be cooler. On a york compressor, you won't be oiling it like a vane-type so after the tank, as close to your quick-disconnect fittings as possible. Metal lines will help the air cool and condense the moisture out better.

Draining the moisture out of the tank periodically would be a good idea.
This is the same way I was leaning, but the tank is going under the bed, and I want the filter under the hood out of harms way. In order to do that, I would have to run line from the compressor to the tank, back to the engine bay to the filter. The disconnects are going to be up on the frame rails on either side of the truck by the doors, so the line would have to double back to about the center of the truck and branch out from there. Seems like a lot of line to run...
been running the same setup for ten years no worries.
CO2?

~T.J.

Last edited:
Are you running a York because your Toyota didn't come with a/c???

Or did you pull the factory a/c to run a York???

I have stock a/c...

Been looking at plumbing it for onboard air...

Is there a problem with using the stock a/c compresser???

From the little I know, youre supposed to keep a stock A/C pump lubricated (in-line mist oiler? Just a shot of oil in the intake every so often?) since they would typically take advantage of the oil in the A/C system. The York is supposedly self lubricating since it has a "crankcase" and its own oil supply internally. The output from the larger York 210s like what I have is supposedly much greater than that of a stock A/C compressor. My math came up with ~9 CFM when filling a 7 gallon tank to 125 PSI. It took ~12 seconds to raise the same tank from 80 to 120 PSI at 2500 RPM.

So, no. No real problem, just advantages and disadvantages like everything else. If you do a little reading and find people who have converted it, you should be just fine.

Advantages would definitely be no custom brackets to build, no custom belts, wiring already in place for the switch, etc.

~T.J.

I have an electric dual piston compressor plumbed into a 2.5gal tank that I am using for the time being until I get a bracket fabbed for my York. I have a mini water separator mounted right below the airtank (protected by the rear axle below) to keep water from corroding my airtank. It apparently works pretty well since there is no more water visible in the air hose that I use to air up the tires.