• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

On Board Air

benfowler87

After having some inflation issues this weekend I've decided i want an on board air system. I've looked at the ARB and all the others but some say, "Not for inflation of automotive tires." Do i need to spend the extra money to step up to the bigger compressor or not? Do i need one with a tank? I do not have air lockers just need it for tires and the occasional air tool. What's everyone running?

Since you have no top or doors now turn your AC compressor into the air compressor. Put a tank on that unit and bam, you have air.

You could also pull a spark plug and screw in a piece with pipe attached to it. Use the vaccum it pulls to fill a tank. Prob not the best route but it would work.

If you decide to use the AC compressor, the piston style is what you want since it retains oil in the compressor. Rotary compressors use oil mixed with the freon, no freon, no lubrication.

Would a 5lb alum CO2 tank not be enough?

No reason to be spendy and get a Powertank, just a bottle and a fixed pressure regulator
$40 from poly.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html

I know Kelly uses a beverage tank, and mine is just a standard run of the mill 5lb alum CO2 tank.
Google "5 lb. aluminum co2 tank" and you can get a bottle for $56 online.

For hold down google "Quick Fist" get two big enough for the bottle and DONE!!! Roughly $125-130 before the bottle fill (I pay $3.00 for my fill)

Been usiong a CO2 tank for years, other than sometimes being a pain to get refilled, it works well. I use a 20# beverage tank and I can re-air tires and run air tools for a surprisingly long time. :dblthumb:

Co2 is the only way to go, when your not airing up tires you can pressurize your keg, I get mine filled at a fire extinguisher refill place.
b1bbd716.jpg

Me and my buddy have a slime brand compressor we bought a t walmart for 40 bucks. We both run 44s and they all leak and those little bastartds will air them up from flat to ten pounds in under 5 minutes. It comes in a bag big enough to hold some plugs and plug tools also. I have a compressor at my house but just leave the compressor hooked up and air my tires up with it as needed. They are tough compressors for the money! :****:

race_jeep said:
Co2 is the only way to go, when your not airing up tires you can pressurize your keg, I get mine filled at a fire extinguisher refill place.

Do you have better pics and a description of what is required to set this up? I have an extra fridge plus an extra CO2 set up --> :drinkers:

Been running a 20lb Co2 tank on my trail rigs for years and love it. Its the way to go for an occasional air supply if you can spare the room in your rig to mount it and think your going to ever run air tools. You can blow up tires run impacts, air drills or any other air tool needed beware drills and ziz wheels will go through the tank in a short amount of time but trust me if you ever had to use up a full tank on the trail you have had a real bad day to start with. You can go to your local welding supply store and pick up a 20lb bottle and a regulator setup for around $150-$200 then run to tractor supply get your hose and air fittings and your off running for less than half the cost of the over priced Power tank and have four times the product. Now if your just wanting to pump up flat tires or play with the air pressure offroad and don't have the room for the tank then I would suggest getting some thing like a Viar compressor and a small air tank that both can be mounted out of sight and out of the way. I have a Viar 450 and a small tank tucked away inside my buggy because there is not any room for the Co2 tank in it. The air compressor will do the job it will blow up tires and even run an impact to change one as long as your not in a big hurry to do it. So its really up to you and what you want or works better for you, withe the 20lb Co2 tank you will think you are at home in your shop hooked to the air compressor until it runs out but it does last a good while as long as high cfm tools are not used with the electric compressor and small tank you have an unlimited supply of air as long you have power to run it and are not in a big hurry. Sorry for the long drawn out reply but hope it helps.

I'm liking the compressor better just because you never run out. And they are roughly the same price. I've been known to take off in the rig on late night runs with friends and I wouldn't want to not have air if I needed it to get home.

my buddy has a york compressor mounted on his motor that runs off the belt...works awsome....builds lots of pressure and always there!

CO2 all the way dude! I bought a new 15lb bottle of ebay for 69.00 bucks, i put a ball valve on mine and had a piece of hydraulic line made with a quick connects on both sides! if you knock a tire of the wheel, you can pop 300 or 400 lb of air instant in it, and put it back on the wheel in a second!

wontwork said:
Since you have no top or doors now turn your AC compressor into the air compressor. Put a tank on that unit and bam, you have air.

Turned my York A/C compressor into a one. Put a pressure switch on it and when it builds up the 125 psi. I need it the tank it automatically turn the compressor off. And yes it will air up tire and even run a 1/2 inch impact.

benfowler87 said:
Trade for a Warn 9.5 TI? I got it brand new. Hardly any use at all. 10 pulls with it at the most. Been on my rig since around March I think.

I have no use for it anymore, I have nothing to put it on.

B Gillespie said:
Do you have better pics and a description of what is required to set this up? I have an extra fridge plus an extra CO2 set up --> :drinkers:
Ball lock soda kegs and the associated hardware to get the CO2 in and beer out, then the equipment to actually make the beer :flipoff1:. I get all my **** from Northern Brew, but you have better options in Texas (Austin has some great companies)

393493659_d2pA6-M.jpg
451375590_crZBw-M.jpg

InDaShop said:
No reason to be spendy and get a Powertank, just a bottle and a fixed pressure regulator
$40 from poly.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html
I used a power tank for years on my rig. I used it for the ARB and to fill tires (it was my DD), so I had a regulator. Lasted a LONG time and I ran air tools off it in the shop when I didn't want to hear the shop compressor clatter clatter as well.

Wyatt is that PP 150psi unit just a simple straight chuck off the CO2 tank?