• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Online air

Yotanut

Looking to add an onboard air compressor. Looking for suggestions. Saw a12volt from northern tool that has clamps to connect to battery. Anyone have experience with that type. What should I be looking for in 1. Just want to have it on the rig for airing up tires on the trail

Re:

Need a tank anyway, so get a co2 setup and a cheap slime "rv" air compressor from Walmart (or similar).

Trade beer and snacks for use of co2

I use nitrogen myself, one bottle for tires, tools, charging shocks, ECT.

There's a good chance if someone needs air offroad then they have lost a bead. It's a lot easier to reseat a bead with a Co2 tank or nitrogen than a low volume compressor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you want or need a compressor onboard, get one with a higher duty cycle, preferably 100%. A lot of 12v compressors are designed with 25% - 33% duty cycles. A 25% duty cycle compressor is designed to run 10 minutes on and stay off for 30 minutes where as a 100% duty cycle can run constantly.

I just bought a Viair 450C and so far it seems to be a nice well made unit. I also built an air tank, tapped it for the compressor as well as for a pressure regulator and an air chuck fitting.

Re: Re: Online air

onetoncrawler said:
I use nitrogen myself, one bottle for tires, tools, charging shocks, ECT.

There's a good chance if someone needs air offroad then they have lost a bead. It's a lot easier to reseat a bead with a Co2 tank or nitrogen than a low volume compressor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I know nitro is the better gas, but CO2 or O2 is likely a cheaper option, just can't be used in shocks?

I'm curious how long a 20lb tank lasts if you use it to fill tires and run tools like an impact?

I've always had an engine driven oba setup, but current rig doesn't fit that well. Just concerned that I will need air on the trail and it won't last long.

They typically last quite a while. If I run my impact a ton I can go through one fairly fast but airing up tires and seating bead one will last at least 8 to 10 trips depending on how many times it's used. It's also nice when you have something really stuck because you can bump up the psi a bit more than a typical compressor. My regulator flows 5000psi so it says but I've never gone above 200. Also when you use one sit it upright or else they tend to freeze over and will still get frosty after a bit, hose especially.