• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

opinions on shocks

Cave Dave

It's time for a new set of shocks for my DD "the Clapper" 1990 Toyota and I was wanting to hear some of your experiances with differant brands of shocks.The suspension is all stock and the truck mosty gets driven on the street with an ocasional trip to the dunes.Currantly I have some Rancho 5000s on it and I liked them just fine until the oil fell out.The truck has 35-12.50 BFGs on it,here's a pic....
2-20-12008.jpg

Thanks for any input/opinions.
Dave

I ran Rancho 5000s on my CJ, then on my YJ. When I built my TJ, I wanted a better shock, and opted for Bilstien 7100s. HOLY FAWK, what an improvement. They are spendy, but worth it. Liked them so much, I threw the 5000s in the garbage on my YJ, and bought another set of Bilsteins for the YJ also.

You can hit speed bumps, potholes, etc at speed and get a nice 'babump' instead of a 'KaTHUMP'. Smoothes out everything. Very nice improvement.

Thanks for the input guys,the Bilsteins are my first choice right now.Unfortunaly they only offer the 4600 series for my truck in a stock length replacement.Anybody on here have any experiances with the KYB monomax shocks or Rancho 9000s on one of these trucks? I'm pretty much sold on trying the Bilsteins,just looking for others experiances.

Thanks for the input guys,the Bilsteins are my first choice right now.Unfortunaly they only offer the 4600 series for my truck in a stock length replacement.Anybody on here have any experiances with the KYB monomax shocks or Rancho 9000s on one of these trucks? I'm pretty much sold on trying the Bilsteins,just looking for others experiances.

I had both rancho 9000's and KYB shocks on my 90 4runner before the bilsteins. KYB were a very harsh ride but pretty good shocks. The ranchos were never really that great. The bilstein 5100's worked the best out of the 3.

I also run the Ranch 5000 and they are way to soft in the rear for my liking.The Bilsiens are that much of a difference even the 5100's or the5125's for off road applications?