• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinions wanted for front axle choice

Toyoda1

Looking for all opinions please (helpful ones appreciated). I have a 91 Toy and am prepping up for a SAS. I currently have a 73 FJ40 axle in the garage already converted to mini truck outers but still needs the birfs swapped over. But now should I try to sell or trade this for the Toyota 8" or the D44 or just finish up the 40 I have in the garage?. Ive gotten a lot of mixed answers by ear but having them all on here would be helpful.

Dana 60! you will get to it someday why not today?

But you know unimog or rockwells will work as well.

Don't put the cruiser frontend in the toyota pickup. Spring perches are 2" narrower on a cruiser. That's a pain to deal with. If you are fortunate enough to get a fine spline pinion on the cruiser diff then keep in mind the shaft is exactly the same size at that on a toyota pickup...just a bigger ring gear...=less ground clearance.

Other than that tip...it all depends on what you are gonna do with the rig. "Hardcore" wheeler? Then dana 60 or better.
Pavement pounder or daily driver...stick with a toy frontend (cruiser in cruiser or toyota pickup in toyota pickup) and upgrade with Longfield stuff if needed.

Toyoda said:
Looking for all opinions please (helpful ones appreciated). I have a 91 Toy and am prepping up for a SAS. I currently have a 73 FJ40 axle in the garage already converted to mini truck outers but still needs the birfs swapped over. But now should I try to sell or trade this for the Toyota 8" or the D44 or just finish up the 40 I have in the garage?. Ive gotten a lot of mixed answers by ear but having them all on here would be helpful.

Unload the 40 chris and get a toy 8"

If ya finish putting the discs on the fj front it will be worth more. A drum brake cruiser frontend if virtually worth nothing these days...

Toyoda said:
Will get ready to unload the axle.
Any opinions on running a D44 w/4.88's up front?

Im running that w/ 35's and love the gearing. Waaay better than it was stock.

Axle choice depends on what youre using your rig for. The only reason I would consider upgrading my 44 to something else (60/9 comes to mind) is because of pinion height. Other than that Im fine w/ the 44 for now. If I start breaking stuff then Ill look at upgrading my 44.

Tankota said:
If ya finish putting the discs on the fj front it will be worth more. A drum brake cruiser frontend if virtually worth nothing these days...
It has the mini truck discs already installed. The only left to convert on it is the birfs. Anyone wanna buy an axle?

So it isn't finished. You still have to pull it all apart then grind down the inside of the housing to fit the bigger birfs, then reassemble the whole thing.