• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Orbital valves

Get at least a 160cc per/rev. 9.7 cu/in OPEN CENTER steering valve. I like my steering really fast so I run a 200cc per/rev. with a 2x8 ram. It's 1.25 turns lock to lock. 160 is about like stock. Here is a link.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.a...0&sort=1&search=steering&UID=2008031318361038

I have bought stuff from these guys:awesomework: odies tacoma steering came from them. I sold two orbitals with steering columns and wheels for $50each at the swap meet.:redneck:

its from S$N fab, duh!:rolleyes:

I put an orbital on the stomper off of a forklift, used a stock chev pump, and a ram that used to open a door on a NAVY ship (2x8). then I spent years of studying and schooling to understand hydraulics, years of asking #s, pros and cons, etc.:flipoff: just kidding!! I took it all home bolted it on started it up. worked perfect. 4 turns lock to lock, tons of power, CHEAP, and it even has a gyrator pump so I can steer with the engine off. and it turns 53s easily on a 7000# truck.:fawkdancesmiley:

but now I am saving for the good ones cuz I guess mine dont work:booo: this **** aint brain surgery.

look on ebay for deals. I sold 3 orbitals at the swap meet last week. I buy them off ebay for dirt!! people list them as motors, orbotrals, stering valves, look for danfoss, charr-lyn. anything strange but close.

Well I guess everybody should start buying orbital valves from you then, since it was so easy and simple.:fawkdancesmiley:

I need a setup for my Willys. Can you give me some details? Do they have feedback and a return to center feature? What PS pump is required (I have a stock pump of a Buick 231)? What's the RAM size? I need to know if it matches up with what Crash needs me to get.

I've good your bomb proof steering on my 4Runner and you've done some axle building for me. I KNOW your work :)

Call 360-435-9040

its from S$N fab, duh!:rolleyes:

I put an orbital on the stomper off of a forklift, used a stock chev pump, and a ram that used to open a door on a NAVY ship (2x8). then I spent years of studying and schooling to understand hydraulics, years of asking #s, pros and cons, etc.:flipoff: just kidding!! I took it all home bolted it on started it up. worked perfect. 4 turns lock to lock, tons of power, CHEAP, and it even has a gyrator pump so I can steer with the engine off. and it turns 53s easily on a 7000# truck.:fawkdancesmiley:

but now I am saving for the good ones cuz I guess mine dont work:booo: this **** aint brain surgery.

look on ebay for deals. I sold 3 orbitals at the swap meet last week. I buy them off ebay for dirt!! people list them as motors, orbotrals, stering valves, look for danfoss, charr-lyn. anything strange but close.

I assume that you're either spooled or someother locker like that in the front? I'm sure your setup has lots of power, but curious as to what locker you are running.

Just buying random valves off ebay is going to be hit and miss, you need to know both your cylinder type and size, and choose your orbital to match. Saying 9.7 ci/ revolution for a 2x8 is a baseline, but a 2x8 by what size rod? Balanced cylinder? There are tons of different aspects to consider. But to answer the original question, I bought mine from surplus center. They have all the common displacements in either load reactive or non-load reactive. There really isnt "good" and "bad" orbitals, just ones that people guessed on that didnt work. If you want to know exact numbers, use this calculator:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/System Design.xls

I assume that you're either spooled or someother locker like that in the front? I'm sure your setup has lots of power, but curious as to what locker you are running.

rockwells with a detroit locker front, welded rear. why, would it matter?? I have another chev on 44s and if I put the sidewalls next to each other (both trucks) then turn, it pushes the other truck easily.

Well I guess everybody should start buying orbital valves from you then, since it was so easy and simple.:fawkdancesmiley:

not what I said at all. I didnt have a $1000 to spend on steering, hell I have less than $3000 in the whole truck.

some people dont have the cash to pay S$N. all I was saying was there are other ways to assemble a hydro steer setup.

I never said it was easy and simple, only cheap.:flipoff:

mine however was easy and simple and cheap.:fawkdancesmiley:

just pointing out there are cheaper CHEETOS out there.

some dont have the nuts to experiment. some dont have the budget not to.:cool:

rockwells with a detroit locker front, welded rear. why, would it matter?? I have another chev on 44s and if I put the sidewalls next to each other (both trucks) then turn, it pushes the other truck easily.

That's good for your knuckles:awesomework:

Your ram would easily push whatever you've got. A spooled or ARB locked diff acts much differently than a detroit with regards to turning.

I think doing a hydro assist setup is probably tougher than a full ram, because you're meshing two systems together.

In my truck, I was completely unable to steer when standing still or moving slowly while the ARB was engaged but with the hydro assist it turns easily. However, if I run the front locked for more than a couple of minutes, I can tell that the pump is working hard and it starts to groan. I even have an additional fluid reservoir and a cooler on my power steering. Spooled front ends REALLY put a lot of stress on the steering components.

Well if you call before 9 your not gonna get an answer, if you call after 8 your not gonna get an answer, and it's hit and miss on the weekends. Also if the compressor and tool's are going we might not hear. Leave a message though.

Saying 9.7 ci/ revolution for a 2x8 is a baseline, but a 2x8 by what size rod?

My bad... a 2x8, 1 1/4" shaft, single ended will give you just a little bit quicker steering than stock one direction and stock the other direction. The steering valve S&N sells is pretty small. (there are no specs) I drove Cascadecrawlers rig last night and the steering takes more turns than stock.
If it were my money I would purchase that suits your needs a little better. Just DO your your research with the aformentioned link to pirate and make sure that the valve is OPEN CENTER. You'll be okay. :D

A tractor mechanic buddy of mine gave me the steering valve off of an old combine. I found an old 2x6x1" ram at the farm I worked and and tossed them on. It works flawlessly with absolutely no research, I got lucky.... :D

If I wwas going to buy another steering valve there is no way I'm going to buy one blindly. Just because someone says its the best, buy it. Doesnt mean a damned thing at all. If you aren't willing to give any actual facts to back that up then shut up.....

Well if you call before 9 your not gonna get an answer, if you call after 8 your not gonna get an answer, and it's hit and miss on the weekends. Also if the compressor and tool's are going we might not hear. Leave a message though.

Mine would be the mesage from Ethan last friday :D

I'l try again tomorow.

A tractor mechanic buddy of mine gave me the steering valve off of an old combine. I found an old 2x6x1" ram at the farm I worked and and tossed them on. It works flawlessly with absolutely no research, I got lucky.... :D

If I wwas going to buy another steering valve there is no way I'm going to buy one blindly. Just because someone says its the best, buy it. Doesnt mean a damned thing at all. If you aren't willing to give any actual facts to back that up then shut up.....

That WASN'T what Darius said. What he said was CALL me and I'll give you the details.

I got my steering valve and ram from S&N. It's a 2x8 ram(spencer) with a 1" shaft(I believe). I'm using a stock Dodge saginaw pump unmodded and I've got roughly 3 turns one direction and 2 turns the other direction. Set up on a toy front with a lockrite for traction turning 39.5 iroks. Works for me.