• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ordering a new trailer, need opinions!

DallasBlade

Dallas Townsel
I'm in the market for a new PJ trailer. At least 22-28ft long. They offer the B8 super-wide, low profile model in bumper pull and gooseneck.
What would you guys go with?

1) Bumper Pull or Gooseneck?

2) Wood or Steel deck?

Gooseneck and steel deck. A bumper pull that long and loaded down pretty heavy pulls like ****. And I've seen way to many trailers with wood floors that have boards all jacked up and falling apart. Plus I think if you ever try to resale it you'll have better luck with it being a gooseneck and steel deck.

Re:

I run a camper shell and actually really like my 34' Kaufman bumper pull. It's not as maneuverable as a goose of course, but it by no means pulls like ****.

If it's just for hauling rigs/cars/equipment I prefer an open center steel deck. Awesome being able to step inside and tie down, wash, inspect, work on ****.

two-car-trailers.png

What I was basing my opinion off of is....I have pulled multiple 20-30+ ft bumper pulls. Mostly campers which pretty much simulate a loaded down car/buggy hauler....they have all pulled like ****, ie. bouncing the rear suspension up and down which is in turn loading and unloading the front suspension. I've also pulled numerous gooseneck trailers of all lengths and weights...the ride has always been much better.

Re:

The camper comparison was what I thought too... Before I owned one.

I'd rather pull my 34' with 2 one ton rigs on it than a 24' camper. Campers pull like ass.

But yes, if you don't want to run a bed cover or camper shell, or a slide in camper, then definitely get a goose neck.

If I used my trailer differently (hauling tractors/hay/etc) then I'd have a goose neck.

I just went through this. I had never pulled a goose neck but every one said how nice they pull. I pulled the trigger and got a 36 enclosed goose neck. I had to give up my topper to do it but it was totally worth it. It pulls so much better than my 18' open bumper pull. I sold the topper and the open trailer. I'll replace it with a smaller open goose neck later.

Re:

**** I'd love to have an enclosed that would haul 2 rigs. That's a whole different class of money though

But yeah, metal open center deck goose for a rig hauler.

Or enclosed if you're a pimp lol

Do steel floors not get slick from rain/ fluids? Wood is a lot cooler to lay on if you have to fix something too. What's the weight difference in the two? Is an open center that much nicer? I always figure if you had to really work on something while it was on the trailer it would make it a little more challenging, not to mention you're limited to just hauling vehicles with that kind of trailer. Which I guess is fine if that's the sole purpose of your trailer.

Re:

I have a steel deck, open center, and its great for hauling rigs, and is nice if you need to do something simple underneath, but i hate that its pretty much limited to hauling vehicles, i think im going to make some drop in panels for the center of mine so i can use it for other stuff too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My steel deck has never gotten slick unless it was covered in ice/snow. But it's an open center as well so most fluids fall to the ground and not on the deck unless you've got an axle/wheel seal or brake parts leaking.

My steel deck gets pretty slick from oil leak, it also gets slick from the mud, i always powerwash mine on the trailer and i sure miss my open center trailer for powerwashing, and i had a piece of plywood cut to lay in center of mine when i would work on it while it was on the trailer, id go steel over wood any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I vote wood deck gooseneck. Wish I had mine back. Free steel deck bumper pull trumps my own money in a trailer.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
I vote wood deck gooseneck. Wish I had mine back. Free steel deck bumper pull trumps my own money in a trailer.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Just curious.....why wood deck Kel?

http://www.curraheetrailers.com/1070-5-series
6928ef2d783a8d43daef8ae2c21fe21e.jpg

This is what I have and I'm very happy with it. It was affordable and is universal for hauling pretty much anything. I don't tow more than a few hours one way so the ride difference vs price was a no brainer for me. I did have them add the dual foot jacks on the front for added stability when it's unhooked from my truck and still loaded.

TBItoy said:
If it's just for hauling rigs/cars/equipment I prefer an open center steel deck. Awesome being able to step inside and tie down, wash, inspect, work on ****.

two-car-trailers.png

I used to have an 18ft bumper pull open deck / metal floor trailer with a 5ft dovetail and 6ft ramps. I used it for my open track / autocross days and it was awesome. Could load a LOWERED Corvette on it with 0 scraping and it with the open deck it was like a portable lift when you needed to work on ****.

I know the low thing prolly doesn't matter to offroaders, but that open deck was awesome.

Re: Re: Ordering a new trailer, need opinions!

94xjsport94 said:
Do steel floors not get slick from rain/ fluids? Wood is a lot cooler to lay on if you have to fix something too. What's the weight difference in the two? Is an open center that much nicer? I always figure if you had to really work on something while it was on the trailer it would make it a little more challenging, not to mention you're limited to just hauling vehicles with that kind of trailer. Which I guess is fine if that's the sole purpose of your trailer.
I took the wood off my trailer and we did this. Put the expanded metal in the middle so I could haul more than just my buggy.
7d0bb84a9b058be734540662ee4ee9eb.jpg

Re:

TBItoy said:
**** I'd love to have an enclosed that would haul 2 rigs. That's a whole different class of money though

But yeah, metal open center deck goose for a rig hauler.

Or enclosed if you're a pimp lol

Me and you would have to work an actual 40+ hour week to afford some **** like that.