• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ORI struts... How do you like to run them?

skipnrocks

I have read dozens of threads on these things. Run them on a few rigs but nothing that sits as low as my buggy. I am running 16 in struts with 9inch of up travel in the front and 10.5 in the rear. With this I get about 20 inches of ground clearance. So my question is this too much will they handle poorly. Or should I aim for the 5050? I haven't gotten to wheel it yet. But I did drive it down the street and it handled nicely. I think I'm running 90 psi in the lowers.

Have yall had problems with them failing? i have a friend that it seemed like fora year or so they would just break/blow seals out. He ended up having to replace all 4. I was gungho for them until that **** started happening so i started looking at coilovers again.

blacksheep10 said:
On the rig we used to KOH we had 9 up on a 16 and 19" belly and it handled like a rally car. full speed donuts at will

What pressure in the lower chambers with that? Im pretty light 35-3600 lbs.

If I had any I would run them through the metal grinder at a scrap yard so nobody else would waste their time with them! >:D :popcorn: not an ORI (churched up airshock) fan!

I have had them on multiple rigs and street driven and wouldn't go another way. I don't mind tuning them. Just looking for a good starting point that works well. I wheel in so many different places sometimes I need it very low and others much higher. And they handle great. This is my third set and haven't had a problem yet.

jeeptj99 said:
Have yall had problems with them failing? i have a friend that it seemed like fora year or so they would just break/blow seals out. He ended up having to replace all 4. I was gungho for them until that **** started happening so i started looking at coilovers again.

I've ran them for 4+ years, sent them in for for rebuild/STX upgrade end of 2013 and had a seal go earlier this year. They full warrantied everything, upgraded all 4 seals, increased the dampening in the rears and I couldn't be happier.

People that don't like them because they've had a few problems are perfect themselves is all I can figure. :flipgotcha:

croes said:
I've ran them for 4+ years, sent them in for for rebuild/STX upgrade end of 2013 and had a seal go earlier this year. They full warrantied everything, upgraded all 4 seals, increased the dampening in the rears and I couldn't be happier.

People that don't like them because they've had a few problems are perfect themselves is all I can figure. :flipgotcha:
Not sure who you are referring to about being perfect but in my case I'm pretty damn close :****: air shocks have their place for sure! Light weight crawlers.

al1tonyota said:
Not sure who you are referring to about being perfect but in my case I'm pretty damn close :****: air shocks have their place for sure! Light weight crawlers.

I could generalize too, but I'm not gonna come down to your level. :flipoff1:

croes said:
I could generalize too, but I'm not gonna come down to your level. :flipoff1:

al1tonyota could drive a golf cart up Mt. Everest :****:

And, like it or not ORIs are air shocks, which everyone knows are not as capable as a properly tuned coilover. But some people prefer the ability to tune one in "close" and the packaging of a ORI, but there is a reason professional hill killers, Baja racers, & KOH champions don't run them

muddinmetal said:
And, like it or not ORIs are air shocks, which everyone knows are not as capable as a properly tuned coilover. But some people prefer the ability to tune one in "close" and the packaging of a ORI, but there is a reason professional hill killers, Baja racers, & KOH champions don't run them

Whats that have to do with the price of rice in China? Nobody said a damn thing about ORI's being superior to a properly tuned c/o. And while we're on the subject 9 out of 10 rigs I see on coilovers look like they ride like a haywagon. Which is because most people think tuning a coilover is just changing springs. Well that and they have 3" of uptravel, and the air bump hits in 1". laughing1

Regardless of it all, you can call my ORI's airshocks, doesn't matter to me. I'll just start calling airshocks pogo sticks. thumb.gif

croes said:
Whats that have to do with the price of rice in China? Nobody said a damn thing about ORI's being superior to a properly tuned c/o. And while we're on the subject 9 out of 10 rigs I see on coilovers look like they ride like a haywagon. Which is because most people think tuning a coilover is just changing springs. Well that and they have 3" of uptravel, and the air bump hits in 1". laughing1

Regardless of it all, you can call my ORI's airshocks, doesn't matter to me. I'll just start calling airshocks pogo sticks. thumb.gif
Your last sentence is spot on I like it! "Pogo stick" :dblthumb:

Had both, now have coil overs. Never going back! Blown seal or a valve stem knocked off by a rock was enough for me. Damn sure not perfect but if I can eliminate a chance of failure, I damn sure will.

I can give you a starting point but that is all it would ever be. You're pretty much doing the lower chamber pressure by feel while driving. If it is Way stable and stiff as hell, lower it, if you have too much body roll, up it. In bad situations you're heavy enough or have bad enough geometry to require a lot of lower chamber pressure to fix your roll to the point it is stiff no matter what.
With lots of uptravel, if you have relatively flat links (nice high roll centers, not a bunch of torque induced lean) and aren't crazy heavy, I bet you can start in the 80 range. Go drive it.