• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Over heating with new radiator

chance

Replaced the radiator in my 1993 chevy pickup (tbi), everything hooked back up, the pickup runs hot then the temp goes down and then back up repeatedly. Im thinking that there is air in the system somewere what else could it be?????????

He said the radiator :redneck:

Unless its leaking out the vent hole I would not replace it.

A buddy of mine replaced the waterpump and readiator at the same time once in a mid 90s chevy truck.

It would run at 220 but not overheat. No matter what he did it would not cool down.

After much BS it turns out he had got a waterpump form an early truck that the rebuilder put a serp pulley on a boxed wrong.

Those chevy trucks with a serp belt setup wrap around the water pump pulley, not over it making the impellor spin backwards if the wrong one was used.

Just free stuff to ask/check.

A buddy of mine replaced the waterpump and readiator at the same time once in a mid 90s chevy truck.

It would run at 220 but not overheat. No matter what he did it would not cool down.

After much BS it turns out he had got a waterpump form an early truck that the rebuilder put a serp pulley on a boxed wrong.

Those chevy trucks with a serp belt setup wrap around the water pump pulley, not over it making the impellor spin backwards if the wrong one was used.

I have seen that done about 5 times now...

Stat...
Air...
Wrong water pump (standard rotation pump in place of a reverse rotation application)...
Head gasket....
bad sender...

Several reasons could cause your issue, why is it you replaced the radiator? Was it because of this reason of overheating???

Stat...
Air...
Wrong water pump (standard rotation pump in place of a reverse rotation application)...
Head gasket....
bad sender...

Several reasons could cause your issue, why is it you replaced the radiator? Was it because of this reason of overheating???

The old one had a leak

The only thing that was changed was readiator, ran fine before just leaked water

i would be hitting up a thermostat replacement, as stated before...

at that time you can bleed out any air (if any) is in the system.

it probably ran fine before with the leaky radiator because it could not build the proper system pressure, therefore never being able to function properly...

oh.. and everytime i replace a radiator i ALWAYS replace the thermostat AND radiator cap...

i would be hitting up a thermostat replacement, as stated before...

at that time you can bleed out any air (if any) is in the system.

it probably ran fine before with the leaky radiator because it could not build the proper system pressure, therefore never being able to function properly...

oh.. and everytime i replace a radiator i ALWAYS replace the thermostat AND radiator cap...

DING DING DING! :fawkdancesmiley:

Yep I would replace thermostat and burp the system again.