• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Overseas contractor..

I'm a contractor overseas, and tired of paying my Ohio state income tax each payday when I'm not in the state but maybe 3 weeks a year.

I was thinking about relocating my HOR "home of record" to Tennessee as they don't have an income tax.

What is needed to switch to a Tenn. resident and not actually live there as I wouldn't be able to provide bills in my name such as a utility bill, rental agreement type of thing..

What area would be good? I'd be interested in renting a small shop type of space, maybe a small living quarters to be used on R&R.
I don't need a large spot and I only have a truck, snowmobile, and building a buggy this winter.

Anyone else ever been in this position?

some advice or input would be great. thanks..

I've never done this, but I know a couple of people that I know get a P.O. Box in a different county here in TN and call it there home address. They need it to be close enough for their RR job, but they still live in state just a different county.
I think you'd need to change your driver license too. But if you rented a shop with living space, you could show that as your place of residence.
And TN does not have a state income tax as you stated. As long as you stay out in the country, things are pretty cheap. Depends on what part of the state you live in on prices of land, closers to big cities like Nashville, land gets higher. Oh if you done rent or buy a place, I'd check on the crime rate first since your not going to be there very often. There a bunch of meth heads and pillbillys that steel everything they can. But there is more good folks in the state then bad

I would think you could get a PO box at a UPS store. Get a cell phone bill or something sent to it every month. Use the UPS store as your address. TX has no income tax as well.

BIG_Country said:
I've never done this, but I know a couple of people that get a P.O. Box in a different county here in TN and call it there home address. They need it to be close enough for their RR job.
I think you'd need to change your driver license too. But if you rented a shop with living space, you could show that as your place of residence.
And TN does not have a state income tax as you stated. As long as you stay out in the country, things are pretty cheap. Depends on what part of the state you live in on prices of land, closers to big cities like Nashville, land gets higher. Oh if you done rent or buy a place, I'd check on the crime rate first since your not going to be there very often. There a bunch of meth heads and pillbillys that steel everything they can. But there is more good folks in the state then bad

Getting a PO box seems like the right thing to do for me. I can save a few grand a year by getting a PO box somewhere in Tenn. I never thought about something so simple, thanks thumb.gif

now WHERE and WHERE to store my toys is another question, maybe just a well secured storage unit place and call it good, I know 100% I can put a renters insurance on those little units. So that's some ease off my mind about theft.

Arizona_Mike89 said:
Getting a PO box seems like the right thing to do for me. I can save a few grand a year by getting a PO box somewhere in Tenn. I never thought about something so simple, thanks thumb.gif

now WHERE and WHERE to store my toys is another question, maybe just a well secured storage unit place and call it good, I know 100% I can put a renters insurance on those little units. So that's some ease off my mind about theft.

No problem, you could probably get you mail forwarded overseas too. But like I said, I don't do this myself so you might want to look into it a bit more on you own. Good luck, hope this helps you keep more of you money.

mckeddie said:
You'll need a proof of address to open a Po box

WELL ****. that blows my plan. I have some family in Tenn. I will just have to reach out and speak with them. the **** we do to save money :rolf:

In TN all it takes is $42 to get one for a year. Got one a few months ago and didn't have to show a proof of address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan6415 said:
In TN all it takes is $42 to get one for a year. Got one a few months ago and didn't have to show a proof of address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome, thanks for the info.

I might catch some heat for this question, but oh well. I work hard for my money :flipoff1:

Anywhere I could get a PO Box in Tenn and not pay a school tax with the location?

In Ohio I an getting took for school and state taxes.

In virtually all of rural/semi rural TN, the only county taxes are land taxes, some have wheel tax.

You don't even report income to the state, so they couldn't go off that.

Sounds like ya need to move to the right part of Ohio. Our school taxes and property taxes are all one, no county or city taxes. I currently have my government address on a vacant lot and half with a mailbox, if the neighbors don't buy it I may sale it, taxes less than 50 bucks a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zjman said:
Sounds like ya need to move to the right part of Ohio. Our school taxes and property taxes are all one, no county or city taxes. I currently have my government address on a vacant lot and half with a mailbox, if the neighbors don't buy it I may sale it, taxes less than 50 bucks a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't own any land or anything. I just use my parents house as a home of record while I live overseas working. I want to find a cheaper mailing address with virtually no taxes. I get all of my federal back, I want to get out of paying ANY state/school taxes.