• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Parts needed at the outlet mall now!

Glad that someone had the part and people were able to get out of the woods OK.

Help me though..
I am trying to figure out what broke but my understanding of what a part is called is getting in that way.

I thought a king pin was only found on something like an I-beam front axle such as those in the front of a 2wd heavy duty truck (C5000).

When the refernce to king pin is being made in the context of this discussion are you referring to a ball joint?

I sounded like at the end you were talking about a spindle when referencing the number of bolts that were holding the part on.

A picture is worth a thousand words if anyone has one.

When someone says they have a kingpin Dana 60 knuckle, they are a tapered bearing on the bottom, and a plastic bushing on the top. Newer Fords have balljoint knuckles. Ford knuckles and HP Dana 60 centercections are weak, because they use less webbing and are alot thinner than Chevy/Dodge parts. The Ford knuckles usually break the top part off where a hi-steer arm would bolt on.

there's different size king pins too. We have one in the shop right now. Appareantly the GVW makes a difference on what size.

I pretty sure that is incorrect.......unless you're talking about 2wd kingpins stuff...

a Dana 60 kingpin knuckle will bolt up on a Dana 60 kingpin axle....
the brakes, spindle, etc does NOT interchange between ford and....well...anybody else, but chevy/dodge does...

mine is a ford axle, dodge knuckles, and the rest chevy outers...

a Dana 60 kingpin knuckle will bolt up on a Dana 60 kingpin axle....
the brakes, spindle, etc does NOT interchange between ford and....well...anybody else, but chevy/dodge does...

mine is a ford axle, dodge knuckles, and the rest chevy outers...

when i got the call that L.K. and Jason needed parts(ford) asap and seeins how my rig was on jackstands with no wheels and tires.It seemed to me that I could take my entire assembly(outer knuckle out) brake caliper and all and it would go on his inner "C" and use all my outers(chev). his brake hose to my caliper etc. even if the stub was slightly different length and C-clip groove we could still put a 35 spline slug to lock it and let it "float".seems like in a pinch something like that would work...there are variables but those could be overcome?

when i got the call that L.K. and Jason needed parts(ford) asap and seeins how my rig was on jackstands with no wheels and tires.It seemed to me that I could take my entire assembly(outer knuckle out) brake caliper and all and it would go on his inner "C" and use all my outers(chev). his brake hose to my caliper etc. even if the stub was slightly different length and C-clip groove we could still put a 35 spline slug to lock it and let it "float".seems like in a pinch something like that would work...there are variables but those could be overcome?

that absolutely woulda worked....

the stub shaft/drive flange may have taken some creativity....but aside from that, pinch the fawking brake line off, and get home!!!!

:beer:

I think that may have worked Jeff. Might have had to put a GM stub shaft on their inner though. Not sure but I think the spindle bearing is different too.
I thought about the same sort of thing being that my aftermarket knuckles are made to work with ford or GM. Issues with that though as I have brackets welded on for brakes and steering. Also there are some spacers involved which I never looked into in making them work with ford stuff and a stock calliper bracket won't fit over my knuckles.