• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Patio - stamped/colored or exposed aggregate

Bones

That Guy
I'm leaning towards exposed aggregate. I think it looks very nice and colored just seems tacky. Only choices in that is 3/8" or 1/2" rover rock. Stamped I have several options, but the guy doing ours did the neighbors and I think the color looks cheesy and the slate pattern looks too uneven to me.

Nearly 100% sun will hit this and we aren't big barefoot walkers. I ASSuMEd exposed aggregate would feel good on the feet and people tell me it's sharp and painful. :dunno: It's river rock, it should be pretty smooth. I haven't been on this type of patio in years, but always liked the look.

14x24' patio with some sweeping curves to break it up.

$6/sf exposed
$8-9/sf stamped and colored.

you can color what ever there is thousands of hues.

We did stamped and colored for our back patio. I really like the pattern, and feel. Even with Sharkgrip tossed on it when it was still curing, its still pretty slick when wet.
Downside is the fading. We are at 5 or 6 years now and there are some definitely sun faded areas.

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm thinking about adding on to my existing patio an building an outdoor fire pit for chillaxin! Here's what I had more of in mind though.
3y2u4upu.jpg

That looks awesome. It would be simple to accomplish also. Pavers suck balls to install and we are messican labor free in Iowa unless you're a farmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've already got a small walkway done this way where the rain runs off the roof of the house and at the gate to my backyard. Like you said it's labor intensive but looks good when done! Other alternative to letting weeds or whatever grow up between them would be fine gravel and use round up to control anything that does decide to grow

If the patio is going to be a machined finish and not a broomed finish I would recommend Acid Staining. My floors and countertops are all acid stained. Tons of colors to choose from and looks great.

Daniel, we call that flagstone.
Any course of stone 2-3" thick works. Some will try using 1" shale, but they tend to crack alot more the thinner you go. I personally like any limestone so that warmer yellowed look. vs. the dark.

real easy, de-sod the are you want done. tamp pack the hard pack dirt until you got it level. lay out your stone in a big jigsaw puzzle. rock hammer here and there to get pieces to fit better.
Dump wheelbarrel of sand on top and sweep into the cracks. spray with water to pack, then dump more sand. (your could use pea gravel if you wanted)

google "flagstone" images.

Doing you own is really good practice for your real job, cause you end up spending so much time on your knees. :flipoff1:
I'll see if I can get some hard pictures into digital format of some of the jobs I did before graduating college in the late '90s. Lots of rural ranch pools and patios here in Texas.

We have a 3/8 river rock Exposed Aggregate sidewalk and if you are a tenderfoot it is not good barefooted. The rocks are not sharp but are uneven so walking on it barefoot is like walking with a shoe full of little round rocks.
If you plan to put a grill or patio furniture on it most stampcrete patterns are uneven so it is hard to get things level. The stampcrete will have sharp edges and be inconsistent when barefoot.

Latest posts