• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Peak Oil

C

Cole

What are yalls thoughts on Peak Oil? I hadn't really heard that much about it until tonight after one of my buddies was talking about it. Do you think we have reached that point? I have no clue but it does scare me a little.

For those that don't know what Peak Oil is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

No clue either, but it seams like there is a lot of damn oil out there that isn't getting touched.

I dont think they have a clue yet when that will be. Finite? Maybe, but then they used to think oil all came from dinasour's. That is clearly bullshit.

Also, just last year they discovered the third largest oilfield ever in the Gulf. So, if they are still finding it......

Conserve where you can, but don't limit our ability to thrive by cutting back oil. It will take years for any good alternatived to come up so in the mean time, lets use what we KNOW is out there.
Anwar, 10 miles off the coast, the Gulf of Mexico. Oil from Coal....bring it.

How the hell am I going to fly to Mexico on an electric airplane?

Seems like peak oil as a concept is undeniable, it's just a question of when. It might be sometime in the next few years or it might be 200 years away. We're going to use it up but I have no idea when.

On a related topic, check out this report from 2001. I think of it every time somebody complains about environmentalist preventing new refineries from opening. If that is the problem why would oil refineries be closing the plants they have?

http://wyden.senate.gov/issues/wyden_oil_report.pdf

I think I first heard it 2 weeks ago, and I AM SICK AND ****ING TIRED OF HEARING IT. Just another bs buzzword like going green, and global warming. There's plenty of oil, were just to PC to tell the greenies to eat ****, and start drilling.

After riding around this weekend, and seeing how many people were on the roads, I'm also tired of all the BS news stories about how eveyone is changing their driving habits.

When we were cleaning out my Grandparent's house last year, there was a special report issue on National Geographic about oil from 1980 IIRC. 90% of the problems they wrote about then, applied just the same now, running out, crazy high prices, alt energy, etc. Only real issue not discussed was 3rd world contries using a greater precentage of the world supply.

sing it. we're decades if not centuries from running OUT. Like OUT OUT. so, lets in the next five decades switch to something renewable slowly while we still have time and then be ready for it, leave the third world out to dry. then we hold the cards again :drinkers: :woody: