• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pickett, brimestone, royal blue, and tackett

offroadohio said:
Still searching for information on wma lands.

Got the permit thing figured out.

Still no luck on maps of the trails. And i camt figure out if our trucks can ride pretty much any open trail or what

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Find a local and follow them. You'll see all the good stuff.

Spend the money and get Dans maps. Google it. He has everything mapped there. A lot of that stuff in those areas are rzr or atv wide. But there is some really cool buggy area riding places too

May look for a local omce we get the trip laid out. Only looking to spend a day or two there as well just be passing through we dont make schedules for trips so arranging a guide may be tough, especially if during the week.

Anyone with Dan's map care to just post a screen shot of a portion so i can see how it looks on a gps?

We typically go by paper map with no GPS, to my understanding dans map is for garmin only?

Fordcontraption you said your local, if we get permit and heas to the area is it obvious what trucks are allowed on, or is it pretty much if its a trail your good?

My dad killed his Elk in Tackett. I spent a lot of time up there this past month. It's gods Country for sure. I can tell you one thing I would stay out of the no business area because No one has business being back there it's ruff as hell and if something happen you could spend a whole Lotta time getting out. God for bid someone got hurt you would die before you could get help. I went in blind with a Topo map and GPS and A compass .Much of the area has no cell service actually almost all of the area has no Service. Wish I could help you out but there are no Marked trails/trail maps or rhyme or reason to navigating that place. Royal blue would be a much better pick! There is a Atv club that sales A SD card with some trails Mark but it doesn't really cover a fraction of that place it's huge! If you do go do not venture far off the trail that place is covered up with some big bears and A lot of Gaint rattlesnakes and copperheads on a sidenote outside of the snake and bears and wildlife I never saw a single soul back there

86chevota said:
My dad killed his Elk in Tackett. I spent a lot of time up there this past month. It's gods Country for sure. I can tell you one thing I would stay out of the no business area because No one has business being back there it's ruff as hell and if something happen you could spend a whole Lotta time getting out. God for bid someone got hurt you would die before you could get help. I went in blind with a Topo map and GPS and A compass .Much of the area has no cell service actually almost all of the area has no Service. Wish I could help you out but there are no Marked trails/trail maps or rhyme or reason to navigating that place. Royal blue would be a much better pick! There is a Atv club that sales A SD card with some trails Mark but it doesn't really cover a fraction of that place it's huge! If you do go do not venture far off the trail that place is covered up with some big bears and A lot of Gaint rattlesnakes and copperheads
On a sidenote I never saw a single soul back there!

We will be in well used and abused but streetable rigs with minimal supplies, no tow rigs, and 300 miles from home.
Sign me up for no buissness.

offroadohio said:
We will be in well used and abused but streetable rigs with minimal supplies, no tow rigs, and 300 miles from home.

I think you would be fine. Just turn the Bobby Tanner switch off. Had a couple good ledges and a great lil overlook to take lunch.

I've got a **** ton of major horror stories of Tackett creek but I'm still here to tell about them and some were major parts breakage and a guy getting his back broke at the look off . But it's a rad place and worth going to but you gotta be focused at times.

offroadohio said:

This makes me nervous / stressed / anxious just READING that.......uggghhhh.....

I absolutely will. It'll likely not be till may sometime and on a weekday.

We dont have any wildly built rigs but we are locked, winched and like to think we are decent drivers. Our junks pretty basic.

Been watching YouTube's of no buissness and it looks like something wed enjoy. We like to test our rigs limits, but we also have to be smart about it becuase we are driving them in from ohio and have to drive them home.

LOL, my old XJ was pretty dependable but there was NO WAY I'd drive it out of state to wheel. I guess I'm just paranoid but I'm trying to get through my wheeling life without any of those horrible "took 12 days to get off the mountain / had to eat squirrels to stay alive / rig broke in half / we just left it and cut our loses" stories I seem to ALWAYS hear about from others.

So far.....knock on wood....the worst I've had is a balljoint blow out(the XJ) at the bottom of a soup bowl. It's one thing to be broke, but when it won't even roll I start freakin' out.

tonybolton said:
LOL, my old XJ was pretty dependable but there was NO WAY I'd drive it out of state to wheel. I guess I'm just paranoid but I'm trying to get through my wheeling life without any of those horrible "took 12 days to get off the mountain / had to eat squirrels to stay alive / rig broke in half / we just left it and cut our loses" stories I seem to ALWAYS hear about from others.

So far.....knock on wood....the worst I've had is a balljoint blow out(the XJ) at the bottom of a soup bowl. It's one thing to be broke, but when it won't even roll I start freakin' out.
exact same boat here. I've almost never driven to wheel and back, pretty much always haul. This year was the first that I drove my JK to Colorado to look at some mountains, but we mostly leaf look. Buddy Miles (KOH announcer guy) took his up Carnage canyon and winched/tried to bypass most of it and that was a "no thank you" for me. We all have to drive home haha. Brian Shirley's sleepster makes it look easy
0938d156be1a0ae1f4a0f930ae2e6a77.jpg

I trailer when im planning to stay at one park and beat the hell out of it. But we just recently gave "overlanding" a try so now we mix tge mild overlanding stuff with more extreme wheeling and it is 1000% funner. We arw rynning rigs from the late 80s, that are rusted, beat up, and pieced togather from trips to the junkyard. I dont know if were badasses or dumbasses but we love it.

Without trailers and tow rigs we have nothing holding up to a location. Well be able to head into rrb, and ride till we hit harlan and never have to return to get our trailers. We stay as self contained as possible, and source from locals if needed

On the last trip like this i twisted a 9 inch yoke off, we got me winched out and found the nearest road and stopped at every house with junk cars sitting around until we got a good lead. Ended up finding one in a 5 gallon buckrt in the corner of a shed and he charged me $5 for it and gave me a used ujoint.

Nope....that won't work for me. My blue drink sippin, boneless wing eatin, credit card swiping ass would end up bein' someones fertilizer.

I think you'd be the squealing like a pig with that purdy mouth. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO

Part of being prepared for wheeling like that is packing your camping gear like you were hiking, in a good hiking backpack.

Nowhere in TN that you can take a vehicle is more than an 2 day hike back to civilization.

I went up there once a long time back when I was running my 79 ford and I had a main pressure line from pump to orbital that was leaking from the time our group rode at tellico a couple weeks earlier. They call and said let's ride I say I'm still leaking from last time they said it was ok last we rode just dripping I say screw it ill meet you by the road to head in. I talked my uncle into riding with us lol. We get ther unload and head into the woods with an extra gallon of auto trans fluid for the leak. We make it way back in there and they say let's go to the airplane crash site I'm like that's a tight trail they say you lead and run over **** in the way so I'm running over everything that I feel like needs to be ran over. We get to the bottom of the crash sight and I'm out of power steering so there like I've fixed a hose like this once and I mean it's pissing **** hard and fast at this point so the split a beer can and duct tape it around the hose and proceed to put about 50 zip ties and more duct tape filled it up with fluid and I fire it up and it holds and I'm like cool. I go to steer and it swells up like insane and just blows all to hell so I'm laughing because it sprayed every body down with fluid. Anyhow it's a custom hose and nobody had one so my buddy literally walked straight off the mountain to have another one of our buddies come up the valley to pick him up and go back to my house to get a case of fluid and my trusty 250x and come back up the mountain to get us out. So my other buddy that instigated me into coming went on out to try and get us fluid before Brian came back. So Mel turned around and if any of you know Mel mashburn he was at that time in his wicked nice show crawler jeep. So he's out with a machete hacking down all the **** I ran over getting in there so it wouldn't bust his radiator or scratch his house of color neon paint job. We finally got out but it was like the next morning. I just left my hood up and we took turns riding on the front just pouring **** in just to barley get it to steer it was hell . And that's just one story I've got . My uncle you couldn't melt him and pour him in anything I'm in if I say let's go to the woods lol.