• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PlowBoyII - New 900HP Hill Killer from Wide Open Design

Since I'm back and I have had time to settle back in from the King of the Hammers I'll give my take on some of the things that have came up in this thread and the other King of the Hammers thread.

I want to say congratulations to the entire RWR team for a great effort that they put forth. Hats off to them for a great finish to a rough race. Jimmy has made plenty of stabs at me with the success and with that I say well done. I guess I ruffled a few feathers when I said we were redoing some things on Plow Boy that I didn't believe were right. I never called any names but people read into it what ever they wanted to. So, I'll take that heat and say I deserve it all.

Every one that said we should have made time to test the buggy before we left are 100% right. We fought silly issues all week long that would have been easily fixed in the shop. Some say we should have started the rebuild earlier. I wish we could have. Richie came to me early on last year with the intentions of the rebuild ,but my schedule wouldn't let me bring it right in and get to work on it. Needless to say a couple of choices in the build were made to fix this and while we are here lets fix that. Well to do that we lost the time to test the buggy. When we got to the Hammers and started running the buggy we immediately had belt issues. I made Richie give me a list at the first of the rebuild and tell me every thing that he had problems with. Belts wasn't on that list so I never dreamed of having any issues with them. When we got to looking at the belt alignment we noticed the engine plates were bent forward. Well that was the big problem because the alternator and the power steering pump are mounted to the engine plates. Then we recalled that the last two times this buggy was out it was wrecked hard. Once off a big hill at Rush and the other was at Grey Rock on Cable hill. It looks like the engine was shifted forward form the impacts. Again if we would have had time for testing here we could have caught this problem and fixed it. We didn't and that was the down fall.

On a better note the Richie says the buggy drives and rides better than ever. After we get the bugs worked out of it I feel like he will have some fun out of his old buggy. We did a few spring changes out there and spent some time dialing the shocks. I'm excited to see him push it after we get the belt issue fixed.

On Plow Boy 2 some thing came up and bent the rear steer self centering controller. It happened at the worst possible time ever, but that is racing. I have mounted multiple controllers on other buggies in the same spot and this is the first time I have ever had a problem with one. We will move it to where that can never happen again.

We left the desert feeling beat down and bruised. But, that is part of life and we are already looking forward to the next time.

I want to thank all of the people on this board that support me and Wide Open Design. You guys seem to always be there for us no matter what. I feel like I have the best friends and customers in the world and I am very thank full of that.

well said Adam and for what's it worth, I think you're a stand-up guy/shop. I've a called few times over the last couple years getting advice on different things and you're always helpful regardless of whether or not I spent money

8)

Thanks for the update Adam..I have always said these rigs are like a house...never done...always something else. Proud of you guys and look forward to the next build.

Woodlee said:
On Plow Boy 2 some thing came up and bent the rear steer self centering controller. It happened at the worst possible time ever, but that is racing. I have mounted multiple controllers on other buggies in the same spot and this is the first time I have ever had a problem with one. We will move it to where that can never happen again.

I want to thank all of the people on this board that support me and Wide Open Design. You guys seem to always be there for us no matter what. I feel like I have the best friends and customers in the world and I am very thank full of that.

What are your plans to relocate the controller? I mentioned here or PBB about using a mortise tendon cable and move it to the chassis (what I'm planning on doing with mine) Is this feasible? Would the cable bring on other issues?

Y'all do over the top top notch excellent work there and I've supported you guys and will continue to do so. Parts mostly as I will always build my own chassis because I enjoy the challenge of it. Keep up the great work and I look forward to future projects out of your shop. :smoke:

Woodlee said:
Relocating it on a cable is what we are planning on doing. We will see that holds up.

If you don't mind, can you keep us informed on what changes you make to it? Thanks

dynajeep said:
Adam and Wide Open Design are stand up people! :****: I'm no :tc but I promise you my next buggy will be a WOD

my final 2 choices were WOD and M&M. one of the deciding factors was time frame for me. I do really like their revolution 4 seater chassis, but I'm very happy with my choice as well.

Woodlee said:
Since I'm back and I have had time to settle back in from the King of the Hammers I'll give my take on some of the things that have came up in this thread and the other King of the Hammers thread.

I want to say congratulations to the entire RWR team for a great effort that they put forth. Hats off to them for a great finish to a rough race. Jimmy has made plenty of stabs at me with the success and with that I say well done. I guess I ruffled a few feathers when I said we were redoing some things on Plow Boy that I didn't believe were right. I never called any names but people read into it what ever they wanted to. So, I'll take that heat and say I deserve it all.

Every one that said we should have made time to test the buggy before we left are 100% right. We fought silly issues all week long that would have been easily fixed in the shop. Some say we should have started the rebuild earlier. I wish we could have. Richie came to me early on last year with the intentions of the rebuild ,but my schedule wouldn't let me bring it right in and get to work on it. Needless to say a couple of choices in the build were made to fix this and while we are here lets fix that. Well to do that we lost the time to test the buggy. When we got to the Hammers and started running the buggy we immediately had belt issues. I made Richie give me a list at the first of the rebuild and tell me every thing that he had problems with. Belts wasn't on that list so I never dreamed of having any issues with them. When we got to looking at the belt alignment we noticed the engine plates were bent forward. Well that was the big problem because the alternator and the power steering pump are mounted to the engine plates. Then we recalled that the last two times this buggy was out it was wrecked hard. Once off a big hill at Rush and the other was at Grey Rock on Cable hill. It looks like the engine was shifted forward form the impacts. Again if we would have had time for testing here we could have caught this problem and fixed it. We didn't and that was the down fall.

On a better note the Richie says the buggy drives and rides better than ever. After we get the bugs worked out of it I feel like he will have some fun out of his old buggy. We did a few spring changes out there and spent some time dialing the shocks. I'm excited to see him push it after we get the belt issue fixed.

We left the desert feeling beat down and bruised. But, that is part of life and we are already looking forward to the next time.

haters gonna hate, fuk em ...WOD does top notch work there's nothing out there that gets built and doesn't have bugs

Re: Re: Re: PlowBoyII - New 900HP Hill Killer from Wide Open Design

JohnG said:
Why would he do that? His money is no better than the rest of Wide Open Design customers.
Pretty sure he was just referring to the fact that it gets yard saled on the reg .. I hate to know what the repair bill is after he launched it into outerspace