• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PNW Barrel Races

So I'm trying to find more information on the last race over in Easton on the 28th. I thought I had a log on for PNW but guess I didn't, so I made another one but can't post yet for whatever reason.

Anyone got a contact for the host club or coordinator? I could call the ranch but the information I got last weekend talking with Joe May was that the Ranch is like owned by a set of siblings, one was pro 4x4, the other anti 4x4, so I didn't want to muddy the waters.

Want to make sure 100% its going on.
Fee Schedule, specifically 1-day play only (Saturday), no camping. Should be a standard fee of about $25-$30 according to Joe, but no one seems to know sometimes when you roll up to one of these things (I've been charged a full-boat $65 before for a one-day play at the gate, luckily they find out what is really doing on and make it right).
Event Schedule - What's the plan is for events, tech time, start time, end time, drivers meeting/parade lap?
Awards schedule plan - so I know how long I'll be there if I'm just making it a day trip.

I'll keep trying to get on the PNW board, but if anyone else can come up with the info that would be cool. Sounds like a couple other non-traditional PNW folks are interested in coming out to play as well.

trying to get the info for you Mark. Sometimes the system stymies' even me :mad:

Thank Jim :awesomework:

Yes, the biggest over-all complaint about the PNW, epically with regards to the racing, is the information dissemination. People want to come check out the events and participate, but they can't figure out who, what, where or they find out about it too late because its not advertised or promoted (calendar aside). Talking with Joe is sounds like a rate increase is on the way as the clubs are loosing thier asses. Costs have been increasing, but I wonder if increased participation might offset those cost increases.

I've been mentioning this to some of the PNW guys I've been meeting as well as some suggestions to making the whole things more appealing and inviting to newer members from an outsider looking in. Some of which might be a major change in the way things "are" (like allowing 2-runs in a day, taking best time). Small changes looking in, but for some "huge" change from the way is 'always been' and will probably hit resistance.

Thank Jim :awesomework:

Yes, the biggest over-all complaint about the PNW, epically with regards to the racing, is the information dissemination. People want to come check out the events and participate, but they can't figure out who, what, where or they find out about it too late because its not advertised or promoted (calendar aside). Talking with Joe is sounds like a rate increase is on the way as the clubs are loosing thier asses. Costs have been increasing, but I wonder if increased participation might offset those cost increases.

I've been mentioning this to some of the PNW guys I've been meeting as well as some suggestions to making the whole things more appealing and inviting to newer members from an outsider looking in. Some of which might be a major change in the way things "are" (like allowing 2-runs in a day, taking best time). Small changes looking in, but for some "huge" change from the way is 'always been' and will probably hit resistance.

I'm with you on much of this Mark except allowing more run time in a day is often not possible. Often times the tracks are busy all day as it is. Given that there are ways to improve things IMHO.

perfect, thats what I was hoping.

Mark at a lot of the races, if there is open time, you can run as much as you really want to, however your first run is always your "points" time.
This is so that somebody cant run all day to "learn" the track. Sundays are usually more open time wise, as points are run on Saterday.

Mark at a lot of the races, if there is open time, you can run as much as you really want to, however your first run is always your "points" time.
This is so that somebody cant run all day to "learn" the track. Sundays are usually more open time wise, as points are run on Saterday.
I know that. And its fun. I was more talking about just the structure its self. Allow 2-runs, for time, time permitting (as I know some events just won't allow it but the smaller ones have a fair amount of dead time, especially if its run to a schedule).

I think it would encourage more "random" folks to participate, knowing they have more than one chance when they blow a corner do to inexperience or mechanical failure. Sure they are just there for fun, but trophies are fun and you want more people to feel they have a chance. Running for time and/or trophy is what folks are there for.

Also, I noticed this at prison break, and other events I have been to. No one wants to be first on the track until its "broken in", so at the beginning of the event the courses are dead, then toward the end is the giant cluster f as everyone tries to race. If they set it up so that say, after 11:00 or noon or something its opened up to second runs, then you might have allot more folks jumping in earlier knowing that if they blow it cause the track is crappy then they have a second chance. It wouldn't be "running all day" to get to know the track, more like a practice lap then the real one... but you never know sometimes the "practice lap" is the better one :D

Its more of opening up the rules and making the events more appealing to new people with different rigs, rather than the standard "PNW race jeep". Event attendance is down and costs are going up. The older guys that have been doing this forever are getting old, dying off or just retiring and I don't see a ton of young blood filling in the gaps, and most of the ones that do are off-spring. There are thousands of 4-wheelers in the area, and with things like KOH and short-course racing making fast-offroad the "in" thing right now, there is an opportunity out there, but they are going to have to appeal to the "day trippers" and the occasional racer that just wants to race their trail junk... and are also on message boards, facebook and whatever other social media is out there. And want all the information ahead of time rather than "just show up". The event infrastructure is there and waiting to be exploited, however the method and originations is borderline archaic (and I'm not even that young anymore) and the events are suffering because of it.

Talked with Wayne just now. Nice guy.

Its still a GO! Apparently these IS a flyer that has been floating around. I couldn't find it posted anywhere but he was sure it was in Tri-Power and sure enough I found it in Augusts' issue and did a little crop-crop below.

Aug_2013.sized.jpg

Barrels and OB on Saturday. Combo of CC and King and Queen on Sunday. Driver's meeting about 8:30 on Saturday morning, followed by parade lap then racing about 9:00-ish or so.

Awards and Raffle on Saturday and then more awards on Sunday. There is a day-only price. He was hesitant to quote it to me on the phone as he wasn't 100% sure what it was, the $25 is typically is sounded right to him when I mentioned it (plus tech fee, so $30 for one person to race for just the day).

One thing of note: this is the first "official" event at this site. Trial run if you will. If it goes good there is a promising future, if it goes bad then you can probably kiss it goodbye (not for lack of wanting by Wayne and Mark, but it sounds like their sister who is more pro-horse than 4x4). I don't forcee an issue with the typically PNW crowed, but for any "new folks" that enjoyed the taste at Prison Break and want to check out more please be extra respectful so there can be the possibility of a new venue for PNW as well as possibly other events.

Think that pretty much covers it. I know I'll be coming up Saturday AM, whether I camp Saturday and play Sunday is up in the air. I think I'll toss the camper or canopy shell on just in case.....

Last edited:
No go for me...have a dishwasher to install...
I tried loading the dishwasher last night, but she passed out...:haha: