• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Poll: Choosing your 4x4 product supplier

#1 factor that influences your choice when selecting 'off-road' part supplier

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
okay. now we're getting somewhere. the input that has been provided is great. more is welcome.

Gracias

I noticed that there are no votes for there being an actual store. Is an actual brick 'n' mortar establishment, where you can view and feel the product, discuss the application, hang out, etc not that important in the scheme of things?

just asking cuz I've always appreciated the ability to see the product up close and personal but I find myself using this opportunity more for research than an actual purchase.

thanks again for your insight and votes!

I usually buy used if I can...

Of course trading is another way to get parts...

You could build them yourself...

But what it really comes down to is, I know what I'm looking for and know what I want to pay... Then I'll find it...

Which brings me right back to, used if I can...

You'd be hard pressed to find more than a half dozen parts on my rig that don't fit into these categories...

Its like you took the thought right outa my head!

I dont have anything new on my rig!:beer:

I noticed that there are no votes for there being an actual store. Is an actual brick 'n' mortar establishment, where you can view and feel the product, discuss the application, hang out, etc not that important in the scheme of things?

just asking cuz I've always appreciated the ability to see the product up close and personal but I find myself using this opportunity more for research than an actual purchase.

thanks again for your insight and votes!

That's what I voted for. I don't do the "wait on hold for an hour" while someone tracks my lost parts.

Also dealing with warranties and returns is MUCH easier when you have a place to take it.

There are two places to get things. Wholesalers and retailers. As a rule retailers are much easier to deal with because they have a higher profit margin. They won't be as stingy with a warantee or other problems. And when you go to the store you get to know the people working there. So they also will work with you when you have a problem instead of calling some call center where they don't give a rats ass about you.

After that is quality. Most of the time I want first line quality. But I have found there are a few things that are being produced in China, Indonesia, and the like that are very good quality at a price you can't beat. So as with everything. It all depends. On a side note damn near EVERYTHING now days is produced overseas and then reboxed as a whole part or at least some of it is sourced overseas

Not sure if I shouldnt or should say this.:flipoff:.but BillyBob's is my choice to shop.:awesomework:.when I can afford to:booo:

billy bob just called. wants his penis back.

I don't buy much from offroad suppliers but when I do it's for parts that I know are quality.

Part availability. Im a wallet wheeler and spend mad money maintaining my rig so i wont break down in front of you. I know what i want, search thru a few sources for the best price on what i want and pull the trigger.

I want the parts that i need ASAP when i need them...to get them when i need them i'll pay a little extra!!!! so when are we going to go wheeling again?????:eeek: at the same time?????:;

i voted product knowledge but in reality its local venders first and i hate chain stores.

EG S & N fab for knowledge and customer service as well as they are local boys.

Local napa owned by two brothers ( in thier 80s) whos sons now run the place. they can think outside thier computer.

I voted the first 3 as well as customer service and what there willing to due to help you get a warranty problem fixed. As far as i am conserned the best place for me so far has been Northridge4x4 in Bremerton, yah there store is in a 3 bay garage but those guys are awsome!!!!!!!!

If I need something price isn't an issue.

If I want something I'll shop around for the best price unless I can just get it at S&N.

Knowledge, I'll do my own research typically as most "store fronts" employ less than knowledgable people.

Shipping & Cost...same thing as need vs. want

Shitting customer service whether it be online, email, PM's, or in person will get that vendor nothing but the middle finger.

As the majority have said, quality is a huge factor. I'll spend more money to get a better product.

As for the brick n mortar store, I rarely purchase from 4x4 shops. I like to support my local guys and do when I can but I typically buy used when possible to save some coin. And most shops have an over-head they have to cover which increases their prices.

I voted for availabilty. When I'm shopping I hate waiting 2 weeks on something backordered. I'll gladly pay a little more to a different supplier if they have it in stock.

If I want something I'll shop around for the best price unless I can just get it at S&N.

Knowledge, I'll do my own research typically as most "store fronts" employ less than knowledgable people.

Shitting customer service whether it be online, email, PM's, or in person will get that vendor nothing but the middle finger.

well said on all accounts. Especailly on customer service. :awesomework:

Kind of the same.

But I can't vote on your pole cause it doesn't have what *I* look for. Bang-for-Buck I would like to call it. And that's a factor of most all of what in your pole.

If a source has SUPER cheap prices on something, but their customer service sucks, that might outweigh another place that has great customer service but wants twice and much for the exact same part.

Or i might go with lesser "quality", but "good enough" to save a few bucks over the much more "bling" but over-kill part.

I shop with my wallet, but keep an eye on other factors.

Two cases in point just recently:
I just bought a bushing set from Eastside Truck Center (Kirkland). Haven't been in there in a couple years, but they were only $5-$10 more than most on-line sources for the same bushing set, and I didn't have to deal with shipping or lead time, they had it the next day. I felt just fine supporting a local "brick and mortar" shop. Even though I could have saved a few bucks on-line. Although I did notice they have a typical web store as well. Good for them. Cool guys to BS with a little as well. And they had some good advice.

Second example. I just picked up some Rotors etc for a disc conversion from Shucks/O-Reilly's. They were cheaper than RockAuto, local stock and I didn't have to deal with shipping and waiting. Plus returns will be really easy. I prefer that route if the money's close to a wash.
________
Ttr125

Last edited:
Customer service & price is the biggest thing to me. Some shops i have gone to i have got some poor service where they are kind of rude or look at you stupid if your terminology is not 100% the same as theirs. :kissmybutt:

I just bought a bushing set from Eastside Truck Center (Kirkland). Haven't been in there in a couple years, but they were only $5-$10 more than most on-line sources for the same bushing set, and I didn't have to deal with shipping or lead time, they had it the next day. I felt just fine supporting a local "brick and mortar" shop. Even though I could have saved a few bucks on-line. Although I did notice they have a typical web store as well. Good for them. Cool guys to BS with a little as well. And they had some good advice.

Thats not too common.

If your into ATVs/cycles or RC hobbies then local vendors SUCK!!

Why does it take two weeks to get a bearing set for my bike? why are the bearings $60 for aftermarket? They are online for $16 on ebay? Then ask the bike counter guy and his response, "those are import bearings".

I order said "import bearings". They came in a SUZUKI bag and were japanese bearings not pivot works CRAP. took less than one week. Why 2 weeks at the bike shop? I asked them, "when you are making $44 dollars off of a $60 bearing why cant you at least stock them? They said they pay more than that for them. I told them to start ordering off of ebay!

The hobby shop is the exact same way. They will order you a servo for 120bucks that is only 39 on ebay. Ihave got lipos in all my rigs for under 20-30 each battery instaed of the 60-80 dollars at the hobby stores.

Dont go telling me my lipo is imported and the amercan ones are best. Do you think the EPA lets anyone build lipos in the USA? They all are imported, even the "good" ones.

Yet I can got to NAPA and get a rebuilt tranny before 8:eek:oam tomorow.:booo:

Can a poll be modified by the original poster? I tried but didn't see where it could be done.

I would say the general attitude of the company's employees will reflect on the vendor as well. Weather it be online or on the trail. I wont buy from vendors that have employees that flame newbs online for asking a questions or if they act like arrogant pricks out on the trail.