• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Poll: Choosing your 4x4 product supplier

#1 factor that influences your choice when selecting 'off-road' part supplier

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Missing my first choice on the poll and that is I have my favorite places to shop. My favorite places to shop are mainly for knowledge, service and then price. I will tend to go to my favorites first and only if they cant get what I want will I go elsewhere which is very rare.

My all time consideration is a combined factor of how fast I can get it, coupled with dealing with a live person, and usually that means walking into a brick and mortar. Price is always a factor, but some 'price' is calculated as inherent cost when applied to you pay more for brick/mortar in person expertise.

Today's trailer jack came from Highway auto supply, because I could drive down, touch feel and physically inspect to see if it was going to work. Also talking to a real live person close by who I know I can go back to if something wasn't going to work. I'll choose local places near me for a combination of expertise, and get it NOW gratification.

Hell, I could have bought something from Northridge 4x4 over the web, and could have and waited the 3 days for it arrive, but said fawk it, and drove out there that night after work, because they had what I needed, and I needed it RIGHT away, 3 days later wasn't going to cut the mustard for me.

When I set my mind to something, I will under all cirucumstance possible make it happen right then, right there, with a get out of my way or get run over mentality.

Kind of the same.

But I can't vote on your pole cause it doesn't have what *I* look for. Bang-for-Buck I would like to call it. And that's a factor of most all of what in your pole.

If a source has SUPER cheap prices on something, but their customer service sucks, that might outweigh another place that has great customer service but wants twice and much for the exact same part.

Or i might go with lesser "quality", but "good enough" to save a few bucks over the much more "bling" but over-kill part.

I shop with my wallet, but keep an eye on other factors.

Two cases in point just recently:
I just bought a bushing set from Eastside Truck Center (Kirkland). Haven't been in there in a couple years, but they were only $5-$10 more than most on-line sources for the same bushing set, and I didn't have to deal with shipping or lead time, they had it the next day. I felt just fine supporting a local "brick and mortar" shop. Even though I could have saved a few bucks on-line. Although I did notice they have a typical web store as well. Good for them. Cool guys to BS with a little as well. And they had some good advice.

Second example. I just picked up some Rotors etc for a disc conversion from Shucks/O-Reilly's. They were cheaper than RockAuto, local stock and I didn't have to deal with shipping and waiting. Plus returns will be really easy. I prefer that route if the money's close to a wash.

This one has my vote.
As a store owner I hear the I'm just trying to support my local economy comment and am hearing it a LOT more lately.:awesomework:

I would have to go with price, simply because when I am ready to order I have already done my research and know what I want. I like to get the most from my money. Very seldom when I am ready to order and buy do I need service. But of coarse on small items hundy or under who has the time to be picky. thats were the local guy comes in.

I just ordered a high frequency Tig machine and saved a grand. Research was done so internet here I come. It came flawless

Sorry local little guys :;

I would have to go with price, simply because when I am ready to order I have already done my research and know what I want. I like to get the most from my money. Very seldom when I am ready to order and buy do I need service. But of coarse on small items hundy or under who has the time to be picky. thats were the local guy comes in.

I just ordered a high frequency Tig machine and saved a grand. Research was done so internet here I come. It came flawless

Sorry local little guys :;

Well in most cases the small guy can be competitive if given the chance, he may not make the margins he would like to pay the bills but would rather see something go into the bank than nothing.:;

I buy from a variety of stores.

Every now and then, I'll buy from the big-box-4x4 store, as they'll have a big-box-named item that is far-and-away cheaper than the 'normal' part. But as a general rule, I try and leave them out of the picture in favor of the local shop.

I buy lots from the local vendors or shops, primarily Bayview 4x4, as he's local, has a retail outlet, knows his stuff, and will order in what I need over the phone for pickup.

Occassionally, I don't want to impose upon the local shop if I just want to 'see' the item first and know there will probably be shipping costs incurred when I say "no" and have them return it. In those cases, I'll probably order from a bigger brick-n-mortar outlet, like a Schucks or NAPA. I don't feel as bad if I have them send stuff back.

I get some of my stuff directly from the phone, because I've met some vendors directly, such as Tom from Tom Woods (see my sig.), and they've been very good to me.

For 'normal' parts, I'll normally get them from NAPA, as the parts counter person is easier to deal with. At the local Shucks, Carquest, etc... the parts counter person is a Year, Make, Model input. And my rigs have transplanted motors, trannys, brakes, axles, etc. At NAPA, I can borrow their books and look up the parts myself and at the others, they only know how to do it by computer.

Take for example when I had to find a radiator hose to adapt a SB350 into a TJ, and it's got a york compressor added from a F-series truck. I needed diagrams to look at the bends in the hoses to find something that would work. Carquest can't help on that.

Anyhow, my Bro-inlaw now works at Shucks, so he's giving me a stoooopidly good discount on some stuff there too, so some stuff I get there. For example, I got Chevy SB 'ram's horn' exhaust manifolds for $62. They listed for $200+. But I took the cheapest internet advertisement down there and he match priced.

So, as you can see, it's a weigh it as you go thing. Sometimes it's a little knowledge, sometimes it's price, sometimes it relationships with the store, sometimes it's how fast the part can arrive.

I put price, by the time I am ready to purchase something I have done all the research and know what I want. Now if I have a break down then it can be a different matter, I need to get fixed now and price is not the factor. I like to go to local stores but I do not buy enough to establish a relationship with them so price over rides the loyalty factor. I am usually a big internet shopper, but I look over the business ratings before ordering.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the thought put into these responses.

Terry (a.k.a. TQJ CJ5)