• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Porting steering box for hydro assist

Its not to hard but you need to be kinda precise when drilling the holes and taping it... and you have to take the box apart....

I don't know where you are located but if you bring the box in we can do it for you at Auburn Car Repair and Offroad. Hit up John (Avanteone) for a quote..

Yeah, it would be easy to ruin the box if you are off. I just triple checked all my measurements before I drilled.

This is on a saginaw box, it looks like there are good reference points for where to drill, it's the disassembly and reassembly that looks a little challenging.

It actually looks a lot more complicated than it actually is, I was worried about that too, but once I started tearing into it, it really wasn't that bad.

I would suggest spending the money and getting a rebuild kit while you are at it. I was being cheap because the box was in really good shape, a year later it was leaking and needed new seals, so I had to tear it all apart again.

I will be doing hydro assist on my chevy and I was looking at the end cap that is ported and then drilling and taping the top cover. or is porting the box its self better??

I ended up doing it myself, porting the box and not the cap is preferred. I think the cap is more prone to cracking on you. It wasn't bad at all, just took my time and was careful not to lose any ball bearings for the worm gear.

Latest posts