• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powder Coat

And the high dollar spray paint turns out better and seems to stay on longer. I primered this chassis first and that actually seems to help keep it on instead of flaking off when you crush a tube. The powder coat will just flake off if you crush a tube. My body panels are sprayed with automotive paint and it holds up pretty well to be aluminum

Dirt700 said:
Well I may powder, depending on cost. I just know once it gets scratched up, I'm gonna want fix. I'm almost regretting doing my beadlock rings now.
Gayzr had powder coated rings. It actually held up alot better than i thought it would but that thing was around a thousand pounds

Long time ago I had a set of polished Wheels powder-coated clear and I asked about staining due to the brake pads that I was using and I was told by the powder coater that if they stain they would redo them again..... but they won't stain because they are a quality powder coater.

I believe this was some place in Greenback Tennessee. It's the only experience I've ever had with powder coating. But the guy was right this thing went through three sets of brake pads and the wheels looked black after every event and all you would do is hose them off and they were brand new again.

After that I vowed that I would never have a polished wheel again that was not powder coated clear. **** that 4hr polishing bullshit.
018d864a07745eb9a3d52d5492ffd790.jpg

tonybolton said:
Long time ago I had a set of polished Wheels powder-coated clear and I asked about staining due to the brake pads that I was using and I was told by the powder coater that if they stain they would redo them again..... but they won't stain because they are a quality powder coater.

I believe this was some place in Greenback Tennessee. It's the only experience I've ever had with powder coating. But the guy was right this thing went through three sets of brake pads and the wheels looked black after every event and all you would do is hose them off and they were brand new again.

After that I vowed that I would never have a polished wheel again that was not powder coated clear. **** that 4hr polishing bullshit.
018d864a07745eb9a3d52d5492ffd790.jpg
I was told ours stained and turned a dull color in spots because it was white and it didnt get washed as soon as possible. I guess it sitting a few months with good ol alabama red mud is bad for it?

I can see that...Windrock has some toxic **** mud as well.

The brake pads I was using were KNOWN to be paint killers (Hawk HP+), but they were THE pad to use, or least back then. They sounded like nails on a chalk board and would only last me about 5 events plus local stuff. They'd put your eye balls on the windshield though.

I figured being clear they might turn a lil yellow or get that black crap embedded in the wheel due to being so hot, but they came through like champs.

Re: Re: Powder Coat

Dirt700 said:
What brand of epoxy paint?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have been using VHT epoxy lately.... it's more expensive than krylon or rustoleum but sprays n lays much nicer and is much more durable....Also it is a one step system w no primer required....... I shop around and buy it in cases online

Has anyone ever done the rhino liner / bed liner thing? Or is that too "dirty Cherokee / Craigslist Toyota" for the buggy crew?

They're doing all colors now instead of just black like when first came out.

tonybolton said:
Has anyone ever done the rhino liner / bed liner thing? Or is that too "dirty Cherokee / Craigslist Toyota" for the buggy crew?

I had 1 truck with the high dollar brand bed liner (line-x i think) and it was junk. If you just threw a toyota third in the truck and took off it would dent the bed enough for it to chip and flake off. That stuff is more of a no slip/scratch than a true protecteor. I dont think it would hold up as well as powder coat but im the extreme of the severe use category.

I bought my tow pig with a sprayed in bed liner already done. When I got it, it was a virgin bed it looked like....I'm the one that's ****in it up. That stuff is pretty solid, I've had trans cases, link bars, knuckles, drive shafts....spilled brake fluid, trans fluid, gear oil. Pressure wash it out and it looks damn near new minus some flatter spots in the paint where heavy / pointy stuff slid. No chips though.

I have done spray/roll on liner on my old Cherokee....the typical body line down job you see on most of'em. I really didn't prep for ****. I basically hosed it off with brake cleaner, turned the air hose on it and began rolling. I think I did 2 or 3 coats of it and it did what you were saying.

tonybolton said:

My Jeep is done in monstaliner. I did meticulous prep work, followed the instructions to the letter, and did multiple coats. I got really good results, but when I rolled, it came off in chunks. Took the primer with it and left bare metal. Touch up isn't easy with that stuff. Over all, I would not do it again.

The rhino liner in the bed of my 360,000 mile truck is mostly in great shape.... the bed floor of that truck is beat all to hell by the previous owner and there are a few damaged spots in the liner but it's amazingly tough and just as flexible as a tire.... that said no way in hell I'd put anything that couldn't be sanded and resprayed on the outside of a rig

Re: Re: Powder Coat

gottagofast said:
I have been using VHT epoxy lately.... it's more expensive than krylon or rustoleum but sprays n lays much nicer and is much more durable....Also it is a one step system w no primer required....... I shop around and buy it in cases online
Thanks, I will look into it

tonybolton said:

I think I'm going to do my interior floor pans. I used the Lowe's brand on the inside of my tj I had, and it seemed to do ok.

BUG-E J said:
I had a gayzr that was white powder and a buggy that was white spray paint at the same time. From 10 feet they look the same. The spray paint does come off easier but they both stain about the same. If you plan on beating and wheeling it like it should be done rattle can all the way. If you want a show buggy that you hand wash as soon as anything touches it and the painted parts never touch a rock its worth the powder coat. If i built a new buggy today i wouldnt put a drop of paint on it. **** is wwwaaayyyyy over rated if you really beat on it.

Way my work schedule is, 4 on 4 off. So every other month I'm working weekends but have most of the week off. If I paint it, I could damn near re-do the whole chassis.

BUG-E J said:
I had 1 truck with the high dollar brand bed liner (line-x i think) and it was junk. If you just threw a toyota third in the truck and took off it would dent the bed enough for it to chip and flake off. That stuff is more of a no slip/scratch than a true protecteor. I dont think it would hold up as well as powder coat but im the extreme of the severe use category.

Had to be a bad prep job or not line-x....Ive had a few trucks with line-x and it holds up better than any of the others. Its very rubbery and wont peel off. I had a spot in my duramax where I slid something up in there and it cut the **** out of the bedliner 5-6 inches long. It stayed together like a tire - I had to cut the flap of rubber off - couldn't just pull it off.

kboring said:
Had to be a bad prep job or not line-x....Ive had a few trucks with line-x and it holds up better than any of the others. Its very rubbery and wont peel off. I had a spot in my duramax where I slid something up in there and it cut the **** out of the bedliner 5-6 inches long. It stayed together like a tire - I had to cut the flap of rubber off - couldn't just pull it off.
They put it in when i bought a brand new tundra at the local place. I just checked and it was line x. The first spot came from a freezer i slid out by myself and it tore a place where the bed ends and meets the tailgate. After that it was all downhill. But when i say 3rd member i threw in i literally tossed it over the side of the the bed and rode it around about a month.