• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powerstroke mods, what next?

Turtle Bite

I have been tinkering with my 96' Powerstroke and wondering what my next mod should be. So far I have done the DIY intake and turbo back exhaust, and I am in the process of installing a pyro and boost guage. I have ordered a chip also. The truck is a 5 speed and I am not worrying about the clutch at the moment.

Mods I am considering:
Shimming fuel pressure regulator
Removing exhaust backpressure valve
Nitrous (seriously)

Mods I pretty much have decided NOT to do mainly because of there cost/ labor:
Injectors
Propane
Intercooler

well ya shouldn't do propane cause it just sucks.. One of the other guys is gunna have to jump on about the other things.. Most seem to be happy with just a chip, intake and exhaust. For me, injectors would have to be in the works somehow.

In this order,
If an auto replace the tiny trans cooler,
Chip it,
bigger exhaust, bigger downpipe
Tymar intake. Anything you do after these is going to cost ya big money because of the lack of intercooler to keep EGTs down. My first diesel was a 97 PSD.

Last edited:
after the gauges I'd install a innercooler.and I have a buddy selling his for $500 that's all of his stock stuff he went with the big money banks set up.

I know injectors are going to make the most power but they are like $1100.
Are my egts really going to be that bad for 30 second full throttle pulls? Im not going to tow with the chip on the high level, although I might try it on the lowest setting. What is a safe temp for towing and max for momentary street races?

Are my egts really going to be that bad for 30 second full throttle pulls? ..............................................................What is a safe temp for towing and max for momentary street races?

What are you using it for? Towing or racing?......
Never put propane on a diesel. Nitrous won't help you much without some other mods.

Using it for daily driving, towing fairly often, and racing buddies around town. I think it will tow my rig and trailer pretty darn good (7k lbs?) with the chip on stock or the lowest setting, really would just like to have some extra power on command. Just need to see if the stock injectors and the chip on max are capable of overfueling enough that nitrous would make more power.

I am not considering propane or injectors because of the cost, but I could put together a nitrous setup fairly cheap as I have the bottle, solenoid, microswitch, plumbing, ect, would just need a dry nozzle.

Using it for daily driving, towing fairly often, and racing buddies around town. I think it will tow my rig and trailer pretty darn good (7k lbs?) with the chip on stock or the lowest setting, really would just like to have some extra power on command. Just need to see if the stock injectors and the chip on max are capable of overfueling enough that nitrous would make more power.

I am not considering propane or injectors because of the cost, but I could put together a nitrous setup fairly cheap as I have the bottle, solenoid, microswitch, plumbing, ect, would just need a dry nozzle.

I don't think you would get enough out of the stock injectors to need the nitrous but give it a try and let us know how it works.:awesomework:

Nah...The DIY kits are less than $400 bucks for a stage 1...I don't recommend them though. $1100 is about what you'd pay for a set of remanned/modified injectors in stg 1 flavor from a competent bldr.. I highly doubt the stock 90cc injectors in a 96 are going to flow anywhere near enough fuel to warrant nitrous. Go view the forums at www.nwforddiesels.com...