• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

powerstroke runns rough?

97f250

have a 97 powerstroke if i dont let it warm up for at least 10-20 min it runns like **** and will shut off..it will blow smoke and huff and fart and die i can restart it right away but it will keep doing it unless i keep my foot barried in it for about 2-3 min...it was doing this and now i got a programmer for it it dont do it if i have the programmer turned on ? any ideas .. any body got one of these truck had similatr problems

:and could ya keep the ford chevy dodge battle to a minnum ! really dont care what ya like more or less i have a problem with a ford and would like ya guys help thanks not trying to be a **** just dont wanna read a bunch of crap to find out a solution or something to check:awesomework:

Last edited:
diesal

have a 97 powerstroke if i dont let it warm up for at least 10-20 min it runns like **** and will shut off..it will blow smoke and huff and fart and die i can restart it right away but it will keep doing it unless i keep my foot barried in it for about 2-3 min...it was doing this and now i got a programmer for it it dont do it if i have the programmer turned on ? any ideas .. any body got one of these truck had similatr problems
I would start with a new Fuel filter then glow plug selinoid and glow plugs I have a 95 f350 4 dr had same problems thats what I fixed on it $300 good luck If you need parts go through the guy up in marysville he has everything.

spellcheckerscangofuwkurselfillbeinelbe

First thing to check... are your glow plugs working? The relay is prone to failure. When you start it, does the volt gauge stay way down to the left for a while and then suddenly pop up to "normal" after running for a minute or two, or does it pop up to normal right away? If it pops up to "normal" right off the bat, then your glow plugs aren't working, which will cause it to be hard to start when cold, and when it's really cold it will run like dog poo until things warm up a bit.

The glow plug relay is under the top cover, mounted on the passenger side valve cover sort of. Find it, make sure you have constant power to it (it's fed from the starter soilenoid on the inside of the pass. fender), then have a friend turn the key to on, but not start the rig, while you have your hand on the relay. You should feel it click on. If not start there with replacing that.

I have a friebd who's ford diesel wouldn't start, turned out he was so low on oil the injection pump wouldn't work. Several quarts later it was a runner.:haha:

Maybe you should put a cummins in it and give me the 7.3 for my willys lol.:awesomework:

have a 97 powerstroke if i dont let it warm up for at least 10-20 min it runns like **** and will shut off..it will blow smoke and huff and fart and die i can restart it right away but it will keep doing it unless i keep my foot barried in it for about 2-3 min...

Bet your neighbors looooove you!!!:haha: Seriously though, is the check engine light on???If not, Check the glow plug circuit like Matt said...If it is, then you need to find out what code is set---It is possible you have issues with the valve cover gaskets, and or internal harnesses too...

Bet your neighbors looooove you!!!:haha: Seriously though, is the check engine light on???If not, Check the glow plug circuit like Matt said...If it is, then you need to find out what code is set---It is possible you have issues with the valve cover gaskets, and or internal harnesses too...

glow pluggs are working it runns great while those are on.. it is after those shut off and i make it about a quarter mile down the road all a sudden it starts missing and soon as i take my foot off the throttle it wont rev back up.. might be the vavle cover thing i did develop a leak coming from that area aint payed alot of attention just keep oil full and it washed off.. what would that leaking do? why if that leaked would it make the truck run poorly .. i ran the codes on the truck none came up so i cant even start there..

oh ya no check engine light either and it aint my neighbors it about a quarter mile down the road where people have to listen/deal with me lol:fawkdancesmiley:

The valve cover gasket has a connector built into it and the harness goes through the connector to the injectors and glow plugs. Occasionally these go bad but if it runs fine when warm or with a programmer I doubt this is the problem.....Something to think about is oil pressure and consistancy is critical on these trucks. How long ago was your last oil change?

The valve cover gasket has a connector built into it and the harness goes through the connector to the injectors and glow plugs. Occasionally these go bad but if it runs fine when warm or with a programmer I doubt this is the problem.....Something to think about is oil pressure and consistancy is critical on these trucks. How long ago was your last oil change?

proble more than six months but less than 3000 miles the truck dont get drove ahole lot... it has plenty of oil in it and the fuel filter just got changed at last oil change so..it runs perfect once warm just when it is trying to warm up... it is almost like i have water in the fuel.. but i drain that out of the filter at least once a month but that is how it is running..

I had an injector or two go bad..it would run perfect when warm but was a bitch to start when cold and would run hellaciously rough for the 1st 10 mins. But yours runs fine until the GP's go out?

no it runns good for a min or so then goes to ****... the glows plugs go off and it is running fine still then after a min it will go to crude i am starting to think the injectors are going bad but why will it run fine after warmed up! is there a way to clean the injectors to check this
from what i have seen they are about 150each so would be rough on the wallet right now

Last edited:
They cost more than $150 each....I'm not convinced that injectors are your problem though... Might want to try a dedicated diesel site like NWforddiesels.com or powerstrokenation.com... and get more people that know their powerstrokes and can attempt to diagnose your issue.