• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

predator carbs

s10me said:
just like a toilet only works good wide open
Thats right, I had one on a Dragcar and it liked all or nothing (the way I like it too). It really didn't like to idle either.

bad80cj said:
Yup, for what we do this is not the carb you want to run

Hell for what we do a 2100/2150 Motorcraft 2 barrel is the only carb that will work good! :spin:

If propane hadnt got popular in the late 90s I be you'd see a lot of old rigs with dual 2 barrel Motorcraft setups :afro:

NO NO NO NO ,,,,,,ANY carb for off road use = :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

in case yall was wonderin yea thats a FIVE STAR PUKE award ;D

oh yea :puke:

This tbi 318 needs mopower. The throttle body has a 2 1/2" offset square bolt pattern. No way to adapt that to a good intake. The factory roller cam and high swirl heads would make decent power with some headers and a intake. Might have to wait for propane.

Re: Re: Re: predator carbs

jeepdodge said:
This tbi 318 needs mopower. The throttle body has a 2 1/2" offset square bolt pattern. No way to adapt that to a good intake. The factory roller cam and high swirl heads would make decent power with some headers and a intake. Might have to wait for propane.

There is always a way.

If the era of dodge motor you have is anything like the early efi chevy and ford motors, then the cam is pretty dang small and the heads don't flow great either.

Somebody always wants to know "whats innat thang?" Or whaya got done to it? I'll say somthing like, I changed the oil one time!, or Its got a flowmaster on it! The heads are good for stock. They have a heart shape around the valves . They're a lot better than the old carb heads. The cam is small compared to an after market roller but makes good torque. They didn't build em for performance but I think it deserves a chance. It still holds 50lbs oil pressure at idle after 239000 miles. I know.....hard to believe but true.

jeepdodge said:
Somebody always wants to know "whats innat thang?" Or whaya got done to it? I'll say somthing like, I changed the oil one time!, or Its got a flowmaster on it! The heads are good for stock. They have a heart shape around the valves . They're a lot better than the old carb heads. The cam is small compared to an after market roller but makes good torque. They didn't build em for performance but I think it deserves a chance. It still holds 50lbs oil pressure at idle after 239000 miles. I know.....hard to believe but true.

Sounds like the heads are a lot like the TBI chevy heads. If it's got that many miles, I wouldn't **** with it unless you are going to freshen up the bottom end.

A basic rebuild with a efi friendly cam and some gasket matching/light porting might surprise you.

Of course it's not going to be a badass crazy engine, but with a lot of us poor folk wheelin 20+ year old engines with 200k miles, a good stockish rebuild is pretty impressive

Neal3000 said:
them chevy tbi swirlport heads are pure dookie

Yep. Tiny valves, tiny runners, but I'd say they are less dookie than late 70s/early 80s carb heads. (at least under 4000rpm).

All in all, the mid 70s to the mid 90s was dark days for factory performance....

If you notice though, a lot of the torque ratings from early 90s efi motors (from all manufacturers) aren't that different from "modern" engines of similar displacement.

The horsepower number is what is so much higher on new engines, mainly because they are made to turn 1500-2000 rpm more than their older counterparts.

Of course this gives you a much wider powerband, and overall better performance, but "old" efi shouldn't be completely shunned on a simple trail rig, it's still better than a carburetor....

I run a old 800 holley and it does a pretty good job,but wouldn't recomend a Predator because idle wide open is all you got,good for mudbogging.

If you're wanting to change the intake on the dodge just make an adapter for the TBI not hard to do