• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project leg room in a Flatfender

mumblewood

This is my Dad's rig. He started this rebuild in June and got it finished up this week

Well my Dad has recently retired and now has time to do some stuff around the house that has been talking about doing for around 10 years. Project #1 is getting the old Jeep back into shape.

Little back story on the rig

He bought it in late 74 or early 75 as a 2wd DJ3a surrey edition. When he bought it he also bought an 18 t-case and 44 front end. It took him about a year to get it trail worthy.

He ran it pretty hard until around 88-89 when he was chipping away at the body one day and found a decent amount of rust that he didnt like so out came a bunch of wood. He built alot of molds and laid our own fiber glass and built him a new body. Luckily he had 2 sons that loved wheelin so he put us to work sanding.....that sucked. It took him about a year but got it back on the trail and wheeled it again pretty hard until about 1997 when he and my Mom moved to Cle Elum and then he got pretty busy building a house.

Durring that time the Jeep barley got used for wheeling and became more of a tractor/snow plow.

He hasnt wheeled it since 2005. I bought mine in 03 and started taking him out in mine and more so lately and I think the topper that finialy got him wanting to wheel again was when I took him to Cali last year to run the Rubicon/Barrett Lk./Fordyce. Either that or its because my brother is getting back into wheeling also so now all 3 of his kids are out there......Or he wants to make sure I dont mess up his Grand kid when I start taking him wheeling :lol:

So here it is in late June this year Just before he started it
Crappy cell phone pic's

GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

More crappy cell phone pic's

downsize-5.jpg

downsize-4.jpg

downsize-3.jpg

downsize-2.jpg

downsize-1-1.jpg

He's gettin pretty excited about hittin some trails soon.

It now sits with a 93" wb and about 71" width

He also likes the fact that now he gets to decide where he wants to put the seat, not just where does it fits

The jeep is about done now just a couple little things left to finish up and it will be done until next spring.

He really likes his new rear driveling length
DSC00807-1.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

That thing is sikk! The house it's at looks a lot like my buddy Lee's folks house in Cle Elum:scratchhead:

Maybe some of the other 'old crew' will get the bug, and get their rigs back out? Looking forward to some wheeling w/ your Dad next year?

I like the doved rear, and how the cage goes down to the frame in the back. I was thinking about doing something similar.

i like it, question about the hood.

did he make a mold for the hood?

if so i cant tell from the pics does it have the stamped "whillyz" in the sides?

if so would he be interested in making another one or maybe some?

if so i cant tell from the pics does it have the stamped "whillyz" in the sides?

Hip, PM Dianamal on here. Her husband has several differant molds for flatty parts.

Yes he made the mold for the hood, he actually made every mold for the entire Jeep.

No it does not have anything stamped into it.

He could probably make one with the stamp but I dont know if he would want to. I could ask him though

Best flatty stretch i've seen, seems like everyone else does it in one place in the body and it ends up being really obvious. Makes me want to get my dad's out and fired up.