• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Street Legal Sami

The shake-down run went very well concidering the bone stockness of it. I only got it stuck once and Darren tugged it out. :awesomework:
It was good getting out on the trail again, and it gave me some good ideas for some upgrades....... :awesomework:

So much for the "keep it stock"--- "DD thing"!!!:haha::fawkdancesmiley:

So much for the "keep it stock"--- "DD thing"!!!:haha::fawkdancesmiley:

I never said anything about "keeping it stock", just street legal. And it is/will be, my daily driver. When I built the LJ, I had no intentions of it being street legal, so I didn't build around the thought that it has to be street legal. This one NEEDS to stay street legal, so I'll have to get creative with the way I do things. I plan on doing alot of traveling in this thing, so it needs to not stick out like a sore thumb, but still get me to and around the places I want to go. Should be pretty simple right? :haha:

I never said anything about "keeping it stock", just street legal. And it is/will be, my daily driver. When I built the LJ, I had no intentions of it being street legal, so I didn't build around the thought that it has to be street legal. This one NEEDS to stay street legal, so I'll have to get creative with the way I do things. I plan on doing alot of traveling in this thing, so it needs to not stick out like a sore thumb, but still get me to and around the places I want to go. Should be pretty simple right? :haha:

Yeh, Riiiiigggghhht!!!:haha::haha:

We all know speeding wont be an issue. Good looking bumper and way to wheel a stocker. Passed without a cat!!! which testing place did you go to??

We all know speeding wont be an issue. Good looking bumper and way to wheel a stocker. Passed without a cat!!! which testing place did you go to??

The south hill one around 122nd? Right behind taco bell. :cool:

I've been having alot of fun with this thing. Took it up to Elbe twice and Evans the back way, yesterday. :cool:

My next project was to build a center console/lock box, since this is a soft top, and I'll be traveling alot in it.

brutebox3.jpg

brutebox2.jpg

brutebox1.jpg

I was thinking of running a kill switch inside it too.

Then last night I got ambitious and started in on a transfercase bucket for it.

100_1751.jpg

100_1752.jpg

This is as far as I got last night, tonight I built a new drivers side arm and tied it into the skid. I've still got a couple of extra mounting tabs to make and reinforce the long arm.

Well, I've been driving this thing for a few weeks now, and it's finally street legal. :haha: I got a set of mirrors from poopman, a lockright, flare, heater switch, and some odds and ends from my buddy Joe, found some lights at uhaul for front markers behind the grill, and put led lights in the bumper for turn signals. I got the hookup on a windshield and gasket through work, and installed that after beating the windshield frame back into shape. The old windshield was not only cracked severely, but also tinted. :eeek:

The bumper completed with lights...
samiflex.jpg

The old windshield.
oldwind.jpg

newwind.jpg

Tonight, I got around to installing the lockright I picked up for the rear, and pulled the t-case to install the bucket. When I crawled under it, I noticed the front and rear outputs were leaking, so I threw some new seals in while I had it out. I also swapped out the 4wd sensor for a good one, and routed the wiring along the top of the case, and the top of the drivers side arm.
loadedbucket.jpg

It's back together ready for a test run tomorrow. :cheer:

Last edited:
Tested her out yesterday up at Elbe a little. I was able to get through the Rainier vista extension trail, and the top part of sunrise. :haha: I was out more for the drive than the wheeling, but it did very well. The one thing I was not impressed with was the heater. I got that squared away today after cleaning out the heater box, and it works way better now. :awesomework: While I was under the rig inspecting things, I noticed that the trans mount was getting pretty flimsy, so I made this.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

oldvsnew.jpg

oldvsnew2.jpg

I finally got it together enough to deem it roadtrip worthy, so I took off for Long Beach saturday morning, and headed back up the coast to Tahuya sunday. Played around a little out there and finally saw the new trails :awesomework:

100_1761.jpg

:haha:

Today I got the transmission rebuild kit, along with some solid transfercase mounts. I'm hoping the solid mounts will get rid of the last bit of drivetrain slop, and beings the t-case has the solid skid, I don't want the rig hanging on stock mounts when the skid hits something.

transparts.jpg

I'm contemplating swapping the 6.5:1 case out of the LJ into the sami for now, then just rebuilding this one with 6.5 gears and put it into the LJ when it's ready....

Well the 6.5 case went in last week, I got the hard mounts for the t-case in and got a horrible whine transmitting from the t-case bearings. Funny what a little rubber will hide. The gearing is awesome with the 26s. :haha: Tops out about 45, but that ****er will crawl. :redneck: Bigger tires are coming soon.

Today I dug into the old trans that I got with the rig, and rebuilt it with new bearings, synchros, and seals, and tore apart the shift tower and cleaned and lubed everything in there.

oldtrans.jpg

splitcase2.jpg

splittrans.jpg

rebuilttrans.jpg

I got the new trans in tonight, and it made a big difference. :cool: This thing is a blast to drive now.The gearing actually makes the little 1.3 feel "peppy" :haha:

A little update.... I finally got the LJ steering squared away, so I swapped the 6.5 case back into it, only to kill the alternator 2 runs later.:booo:

BUT, I went over and picked up a 4.16:1 t-case from toyzuki this past weekend, and got it installed in the sami, along with another new bucket last sunday. Of the 3 gear ratios I've tried, I like these the best. (Still running 26's :redneck:) With the 6.5s I could get down the road at 55, but that was about it. With this case I can cruise comfortably in fifth at 55-60, but it's still low enough to swing 3rd gear hard corners, where the stock case was not.

bucket1.jpg

100_0221.jpg

I made this little plate too, cause with the hard mounts and the low gears, even with little tires, it was starting to pull around the hole on the drivers frame mount. Once I get it lifted with some bigger tires, I'm going to reinforce the whole mount, but this will do for what I want to do with it for now, and it sucks crawling under this lowrider and welding.
frameplate.jpg

Oh, and the right front tire had a slow leak for awhile, and finally one day I came out and it went flat overnight. So I broke the tire down and found the bead was a little rusty, sanded it down and painted it, and went ahead and painted all the wheels black.

How is Ben??? Haven't heard from him in awhile...Oh and FYI, you'll want to re-enforce the passenger side mounts too! Ask me how I know!!!:redneck: Cradle looks good.:awesomework:

He mentioned something about the wenatchee cops not likeing him, but he seemed good otherwise. :eeek::haha:

Since this is a daily driver, I finally broke down and bought a spare frame to mock up parts on, this way I can design and build on the spare frame, and then when it comes time for installation, I'm not out a driver for too long.
I've started collecting pieces for the spoa which is next on the list along with some bigger tires.

Latest posts