• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Will's Willys

wilbilt

Well I have got a little work done on this thing so I figured it was time for some NWW criticism. The truck is a 1949 Willy's pickup. It has a really straight cab and front end, the only rust I have found is in the floor pans. The bed is kinda rough but usable. My plans are to leave the body as you see it. It will most likely end up with a Chevy 5.3, nv4500, 32 spline np205 and half ton axles. I am leaning towards a Scout 2 Dana 44 front (similar width) and a 44 or 9' Ford for the rear. My plans for the truck are to build a reliable street rig and maybe snow rig. This thing won't be seeing much for trails if at all.
a>

I bought the truck as you see it. No running gear at all. Since getting the truck, the cab and bed have been pulled off the frame and the frame was sand blasted. The frame is in great shape other than the two rear most crossmembers were bent. I removed them and replaced them with 3 1/2" square tube. I also picked up some steel plate and have began boxing the frame front to rear.
a>
a>
a>

And that's where I am right now. All the plates for the frame are cut and fit and the inside of the frame has been shot with weld through primer. I still have a few more plates to tack on before I begin finish welding.

DUDE , please keep it of the trails!
BADASS project man.
I also have a 53Wagon that Is coming in the garage next. Just for the street though.
I love these old rigs.
My brother put Scout 44's under his 56 Wagon.
IIRC, he said they bolted right in.
Cheers

Cool rig. I've seen a couple on cl and been tempted, but I don't need anymore projects.
Fwiw, weld through primer does not make a good longterm corrosion protection. If you're worried about rust, get a good body wax and spray it in every hole you can when you've finished all your welding and painted the outside. :awesomework:

Cool rig. I've seen a couple on cl and been tempted, but I don't need anymore projects.
Fwiw, weld through primer does not make a good longterm corrosion protection. If you're worried about rust, get a good body wax and spray it in every hole you can when you've finished all your welding and painted the outside. :awesomework:

Good to know. I will keep that in mind.

Awesome! If you have an extra passenger wing window and front fender I'm in need. Let me know price and keep pics flowing!!

Passenger wing window is good. The fenders on this truck would be different than your '53. These are flat like a flat fender jeep and the front of the fenders are round. If I remember correct a '53 fender is raised in the middle and slightly pointed? When Im ready to start stripping the parts truck I will let you know about parts.

Nice! Looks like a decent rig to start with.

My first 4x4 when I was 16 was a 52 Willys wagon. Its gone downhill since then! :redneck:

Cool project! :beer:

Nice! Looks like a decent rig to start with.

My first 4x4 when I was 16 was a 52 Willys wagon. Its gone downhill since then! :redneck:

Cool project! :beer:

First rig my brother And I bought when we were 14 or 15 was also a 52 wagon. Never did anything with it, sold it about 7 years ago. You still have your wagon?

Passenger wing window is good. The fenders on this truck would be different than your '53. These are flat like a flat fender jeep and the front of the fenders are round. If I remember correct a '53 fender is raised in the middle and slightly pointed? When Im ready to start stripping the parts truck I will let you know about parts.

You are right on fender design. I can save mine as its not going to be a show rig by any means....lol

I just came in from the shop after I noticed the frame cracked on both sides in the motor mount area. Mine isnt anywhere as nice as yours but will make a unique snow beater. :redneck::beer:

Just for the hell of it. Here is a picture of the parts rig I picked up. It was on Vashon Island which made for a fun adventure. Luckily the guy that I got it from had a tow truck and a snatch block to load it. This truck is a total rust bucket, but it has the goods that I need. It has a Chrysler slant six and an IH bed. Anyone need a slant six or a International bed? :redneck:
a>

Last edited: