• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane pros and cons

trxguy

i have been planning on doing propane for a while but before i spend $$$$ whats the word out there is it a good idea or not worth it
pros
cons
gains
disadvantages
let me know what you know

Cons, sometimes price per gallon, if you run out in the boonies or at odd hours your in a pickle.

Pro's---simple system
typicly burn clean
Lower engine temps

Con's---run out on the trail you can be scewed.
Late night fueling can be a pain to find
If you have a leak unable to retain lost liquid/vapor
Cold temperatures possable icing
Tricky to get dialed in with lots horsepower
Less horsepower when matched with gasoline

Pro [runs at any angle.]

Pro [Safer than gas IMO. You won't burn to death. Most likely if it blows up, you will never know what hit you.]

Pro [You can paint it to look like a bomb. (They like that when you try to board a ferry.)]

Pro [You can plumb a flamethrower off of it]

Pros..
cheap
easy
no stumbles
no need for choking on a cold morning
half the weight of gasoline
oil stays clear and clean, longer engine life
no electronics to take a dump
throw a tank in the back of your car and fill it anytime, no fuel to spill

Cons,
Don't run out

I have done 5 systems and not one person has noticed a power loss only gain as it runs so much better offroad. no one has regreted it

I give it a A+ :beer:

I also have to throw out there if you have a good fuel injected system that works flawless I wouldnt change it. But if your carbed its a no brainer

Last edited:
Pros..
cheap
easy
no stumbles
no need for choking on a cold morning
half the weight of gasoline
oil stays clear and clean, longer engine life
no electronics to take a dump

Cons,
Don't run out

I have done 5 systems and not one person has noticed a power loss or regreted it

I give it a A+ :beer:

x2:awesomework:

loved the 2.8 on pane can't wait to see the 5.0 HO
on pane :redneck:

ya i am running a weber carb
i know you get a little more power propane burns at 110 octane vs the 87 we use now.

but someone else told me that the evaporator is a bitch if you are wheeling in the winter or cold ass morning that first start up untill the coolant heats up it runs like ****

i forget who it was on here that posted it freezes up what freezes up
:beer:

When it got down in the twenties, or low thirties, and I was on the throttle fairly hard I had some "freeze sputters", Just covering my tank, and lines with a blanket helped to eliminate that.

Pro, it's stupid simple...

I gained power with mine...

I was running a Q-jet and could get pretty good angles out of it for a carb... Didn't like the idea of the harness, computer or cost to go injection... Propane was cheap and easy... Now I can run upside down...:awesomework:

So far I am loving it. I had a crappy carb that was missing the choke due to mods by the previous owner and wasn't tuned properly. So I actually felt a power increase.

The only con is running out of fuel, but I keep an eye on my levels. So far I've ran Evans and Elbe with it multiple times, never even came close to running out. I'm running a stoked 22r.

Pro's have been covered.

Con's have been pretty well covered. Only one I would add is bulkier/less efficient fuel storage.

If you got a truck or bigger rig, not to big of a deal, small buggy or tight on space, little more hard to make things fit effectively. Pro of gasoline in this respect is you can make a fuel cell/tank to conform to odd shapes or fit into tight spots to get maximum fuel. Propane your stuck with pretty big tanks that only hold 8-10 gallons, plus if your using folk-lift tanks, you need to make them assessable to be able to remove them to change and fill.

O-ya, and your cooling system better be up to snuff, and purge it well. Air-bubble can = freezing reg. Freezing reg. = better have some hot water and time, cause you ain't going no where.