• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane tank????

Rob8003

which works better, tank laying on side or standing up? also how unsafe is it to have the value of the tank pointed right behind back of seat?

If we're talking about fork lift tanks, side or standing up works. But if on the side make sure it is oriented correctly. There is a rod on most mounting brackets that goes through a hole on the tank to accomplish this. (Reason being that the pickup inside the tank has a bend in it that makes it point toward the "bottom" when its on its side. If its not oriented correctly the bend will no longer be pointing toward the "bottom.")

I like them standing I seemed to get more capacity out of a couple of my tanks that wayy

These diagrams may help:

567461d1293624859-whats-inside-aluminum-propane-tank-propane-tank0507.jpg
attachment.php

thanks for the advice what yall think bout the fill vaule pointed towards the back of driver/passenger seat?

Propane is THE safest motor fuel available. It is not a problem having the valves facing forward. Hollywood has demonized propane as being so dangerous but the opposite is true. You can take a full propane tank and shoot a hole through it with something strong enough to penetrate the tank and it will not explode. When the bullet penetrates the tank the fuel will spew out in a cloud. That cloud will not ignite, it is way too rich to burn. Propane has a very narrow range of flammability. A police department in Mississippi did a test on a propane tank in the back of a Crown Vic before they started running their vehicles on propane.
They took an older car, put a tank in the trunk and then pulled everything out of their arsenal. Pistol rounds and up to .223 rounds would bounce off. It took a 30.06 armor piercing round to finally penetrate the tank.

As far as tank placement you want the fuel tube inside the tank pointing as far down as possible so it stays submerged in fuel.

They did this on myth busters too, shot it with all kinds of rounds, 30-06 sailed right through the full tanks just leaking propane, no fire....so long story short, the tracer round was the only thing they could get ignition with, pretty safe I'd say

Rockwells607 said:
They did this on myth busters too, shot it with all kinds of rounds, 30-06 sailed right through the full tanks just leaking propane, no fire....so long story short, the tracer round was the only thing they could get ignition with, pretty safe I'd say

I saw an episode where they did this with a GAS tank, but not a PROPANE tank ...

But otherwise I agree. How many rigs have you seen / heard of that burnt badly / to the ground on LPG?

Gasoline is designated by the DOT as the most volatile motor fuel presently used. Propane is designated as the safest. The tanks for propane are designed to be 20 times stronger than gasoline tanks and have been for 40 years. The regulations were written that long ago.