• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane vs fuel injection

What you startin out with,,, :dunno: ,,, cause that truck in yer little picture should be fuel inj. ,,, new project I guess :dunno:

also see "AW HELL HERE WE GO AGAIN" molaugh

I like my propane on both my rigs ,,,,BUT ,,,,,they both started life with carbs :gtfo: ,,,, and the swap from carbs to propane was WAY cheaper and WAY simpler than a swap to fuel inj. ;D

yeah the truck in the picture is the throttle body fuel injection. but I bought a full to Chassis and thats the new project. but if I go propane then I might have to build a motor but I could sell my propane stuff and buy a fuel injected motor ready to go stock 5.3 but i dont know how to wire it up right.

I have run both TBI and propane on the same engine. AMC 304 with mild cam.
Slight power loss on propane vs TBI because the higher the octane a fuel has, the less energy it contains. I'm only running 8.4:1 compression.
If you are running 10:1, 11:1 or better you'll want the pane since it's approx 110 octane equivalent.
Simplicity of propane is hard to compete with.
Propane is still cheaper than gasoline. Actual run times is similar. I can run 4 hours actual run time (hour meter) on a 8 gallon forklift bottle. That is all day of wheeling. 5.0L V-8 engine. 4 cylinder or V-6 will of course use less.
If you drive on the street, stick with gasoline. You'll eat up propane like crazy on the road with a 4 barrel base plate.
I'm paying around $27 for an 8 gallon bottle to be filled right now. I have 4 of them, 2 of them are in my rig.
If I had it to do over again, I would probably stick with TBI for a few reasons.
1) A gasoline fuel cell doesn't take up much room compared to propane. Fuel cells come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials.
2) Gasoline is easier to come by..and you can just top off your tank from a gas can instead of changing a bottle back at camp.
3) Power on a stock engine advantage goes to gasoline. 87 octane contains far more energy per gallon than 93 octane or 110 octane fuel. The higher the octane, the more resistant to ignition it is. In high compression engines it is needed to stop pre-ignition. That is all octane is.

As far as wheeling performance is concerned. propane runs at any angle, plugs never foul, and oil never gets dirty.
Propane is near 100% tank usage...so no starving the pick up because you have your rig standing on it's ass.
thumbs up to propane.
No fuel pumps, fuel filters, computers or wiring to fail. propane is simple.
TBI set ups can be had for about the same price as propane, but it boils down to preference.

I hope to drop a TBI 350 in my rig soon and will have a complete propane set up for sale in the next few months with a NP-435 trans and Dana adapter.

Hope this helped.

If you get a stock efi setup, and a plug and play harness from any of the MANY vendors that do them, it's pretty dang simple. Just hook up your power, ground, and fuel pump and peel out.

I appreciate it guys yall are helping out a lot its all ab money. Like the price on rebuilding a motor for propane too buying wire harness and fuel cell and fuel line.

Whats some good companies that build harnesses? I know
Painless but i know there's others. I got a 4.3 vortex

my 2 cents, if you like wiring and spending time with wiring etc. fuel injection is great, if you are a simple guy and dont like alot of wires or headaches and super easy tuning....propane

I would run propane .. I'll help u build a motor. U see how strong mine is on propane. Propane is so simple. I help u. Hopefully in 2 months I'll be moved to Hickman and I be right down the road

The only part I don't like about propane is the tanks! I had a single tank feeding a 4.3 vortec, and it was fine in smaller parks but at Harlan where theres a lot of distance to cover I was sweating bullets by the time we made it to mason jar. The new buggy is gonna have a built small block so theres no way one tank will be enough for me! Been in the garage all weekend trying to figure out a way to have two tanks in a small space and not look totally gay or block all my vision :mad:

harlan and slade both, i hav to hav a feller carry a spare tank for me, this winter i gonna hav mine haulin 2 tanks if i can see out the back or not

We have a low fuel light kit that will tell you to switch tanks before running out and we can also put together a fuel gauge kit for forklift bottles so you can
have some kind of idea how much fuel you have.
Sincerely,

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

Latest posts