• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PS cooler question

RIGHT! So, a non welded front end would put more stress on a pump????
Welded front end for over 20 years. I can drive just fine.

This bridge?
Wasn't passable, or it would've taken more work than it was worth.
TRAILS OPENED JUNE 15TH :flipoff:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tA8gO7jXU[/YT]

Last edited:
thats what happens when your the ****ing best there is!!!:eeek:
The guy already bought a 5/16" cooler, & wanted to know if it would work.
I'm confirming that it will, backed by experience, & knowledge.
Everyone wants to send him back to the scrap yard based on opinion.

:kissmybutt:

Last edited:
im not wondering if it will work, but which would work better really.
my zj coolers measure 5x11 at best. i have not seen but one style of zj tranny cooler. any pics?
:beer:

wrong again :eeek: as I said before based on "experience" but I still agree that any cooler is better than none.

copy that, most of these guys may not know you. and I was simply letting them know that you were a complete bad ass and to calm down...:kiss:

ok maybe a little humor in there too!

I'm done for now, back to it!:swing::swing:

wrong again :eeek: as I said before based on "experience" but I still agree that any cooler is better than none.

Wrong again about WHAT? Mr. SPEELing contest

That I've run the 5/16" cooler over the above mentioned, & done fine???
AKA: "EXPERIENCE" Dip ****!

That cooler will work fine for the following & above mentioned.
1. The tranny cooler has more surface area than any "PS cooler" & a tranny needs to loose a larger volume of heat, so a tranny cooler is excessive.
2. Power steering doesn't generate as much heat as a transmission
3. The restriction in the line is a benefit not a hinderence
4. any cooler is better than none, because it doesn't get as hot as everything else.

Now, if you've got some knowledge on fluid dynamics, & heat transfer. By all means SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE! That's why the guy asked the question in the first place. You just seem to want to heckle. :wtf: With out backing up your opinion.

And I take quotes from this thread

I've run the 5/16" cooler over the above mentioned, & done fine???
AKA: "EXPERIENCE" .

I have to change pumps every couple years, but I consider that maintenance.

So let me get this straight you are OK with changing a power steering pump that has less than 1600 hours on it, and that is if you wheel every weekend for 8 hours a day. But in true life you more like have

I actually haven't had to change a pump since I added the cooler, & the hydro assist pump. I don't drive fast on anything except snow. It's a trail only jeep, & carry a spare of almost everything just in case.
I'm an ex marine, so being self sufficient in the woods, is kind of my thing. It's more for me to be in the mountains, than tearing it up.
With the welded front end, I've definitely put the steering to the test. All the steps I've made, actually make it work.... As long as I have a hub monkey.:redneck:
That's just the way I've been rolliing for 20 years, & it's been working for me.
I don't put much value in the "hours" or "years" on a Jeep. Sitting dormant, in the moisture Seattle area offers, getting wedged against boulders crawling out, steering in the snow, mud holes etc. are all going to take their tolls.
I've never actually tested pressures or velocity on a power steering system.
When I talk about coefficients, & heat transfer, I'm talking from my education in being a certified balancer, of hydronic & air systems. Fluid dynamics apply to hydraulics as well. Metering is common in all heat transfer designs in water, refrigeration, or even air in cases.
My 5/16" cooler in in the grill, & has a filter between the cooler & the pump, so that restriction again, probably helps any minor bubbles. Plus, I cut the top off an old sump, & added 8" of radiator tube to the fill spout. So the tube has a bit extra resevoir, or burping.
I'm not saying my set up is the best! I'm saying my **** works! If it fails, I might reconsider, but I'm confident my set up is fine.
Better can be the enemy of good enough.

As far as my welded front end. I've run the same carrier for over 20 years. A few years ago, I actually cracked the welds, but we rewelded the piss out of it, & it's still holding up fine. I'm amazed at that, but I chalk that up to "putting around" using my gearing, not hammering it. IF it ever broke, I'd put in a JK54 kit, & an air locker. I just haven't broke my **** yet.:beatdeadhorse:

just to follow up, I bought one labeled 3/8, got it home, same 5/16 inside diameter as one the i have, so i returned it and just gonna run this one.
maybe thats common knowledge. i dont know. seems ideal to me to match the stock inside diameter the whole way through, but we're gonna go with the trailbeast theory here.:beer:
i did get some 3/8 line so i dont have to squeeze the 5/16 onto the fittings.
happy trails...

After this legthy discussion. I decided to do a little experimenting.
As a true "power steering cooler" consists of a round fluted cylinder, or a single loop, the tranny cooler has ALOT more surface area, regardless of the pipe diameter.
I fired up the jeep and got it up to operating temp. My P.S. cooler sits around 85 deg. My tires aired to 6 psi, locked hubs, I had my apprentice turn the wheel from side to side. The temperature never got over 96 deg, with out the fans running.
I noticed that the bulk of the heat was rejected in the first 1/4 of the cooler, & only drop the temperature by 5 deg or so.
I'm sure it gets hotter on the trail, on a hot day, but since I haven't had any problems, I'm sticking with my original 5/16" line, 5x10 cooler. Anything more is over kill.

SmartphonepicturesNov2012443.jpg

SmartphonepicturesNov2012444.jpg

SmartphonepicturesNov2012442.jpg

SmartphonepicturesNov2012441.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts