• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PSC Hose Fittings

Marc72

So, for the last few years, I've been running the screw-on hose fittings that came with the full hydro kit. Up until now, they've been fine. My last time out, I noticed one hose under the orbital starting to leak. A few hours later, it blew up in my face. It appears like the hose just came right out of the fitting. After fixing it, I've noticed that another one is starting to leak as well. My question is, should I pull them all out and have crimped end hoses made, or just remake them all with the screw on fittings? Is this a common issue, or just a fluke?

Thanks for the help! :cougar:

I'm not a big fan of the screw together fittings but if you have a hose failure it's much easier than finding a hydraulic shop! I would pull all of your fittings apart make sure the hose is screwed completely up into the outer nut then reinstall and watch for leaks. The other option is replace your hoses and reuse your fittings.

If you step up to a higher psi rating like 3000psi, the wall thickness on the hose increases. The field replacement style fittings will fit much tighter and hold longer.

I personally would not run a permanent compression style fitting if you trail ride. It's a life saver having reusable fittings.

I'm rolling 5 years now on the same set of lines and fittings. No leak issues

Re:

Personally I prefer crimp style fittings, but I also carry a handful of screw on fittings and roll of hose for repairs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Most definitely stay with the reusable fittings. I'd inspect the hose for wear and replace if necessary. As stated above... A lot easier to make trail repairs.

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Personally I prefer crimp style fittings, but I also carry a handful of screw on fittings and roll of hose for repairs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This hands down.... I operate heavy equipment for a living... After 5000 or even way more hours, good hoses with crimped ends just don't fail unless damaged by outside forces or abrasion... Or deteriorated from decades of exposure.
A few feet of hose and a few fittings for spares are great to have for when you goof and somehow bust a hose tho.

I had access to several crimped hoses from work because someone bought the wrong length. I got lucky and they fit what I already have, so I carry two sets. Not opposed to field service fittings and a roll of hose as spares either. Be sure to carry something to cleanly cut the hose as well. Depending on how it blows the end off, it might not be as simple as screwing it back together.

Also never forget that a high pressure hydraulic leak can be very dangerous... If it penetrates your flesh it can be devastating or even fatal...

The absolute best hoses and connections you can afford are worth strongly considering.

Re: Re: PSC Hose Fittings

gottagofast said:
Also never forget that a high pressure hydraulic leak can be very dangerous... If it penetrates your flesh it can be devastating or even fatal...

The absolute best hoses and connections you can afford are worth strongly considering.
Because of this I have thought about running hard lines on my current rig, but couldn't justify the cost. I am planning to put some abrasion sleeve over the hoses

Thanks all! I'm leaning towards the crimped version and a pile of spare bits. I'm not sure exactly what happened to mine. The hose that came apart was in the cab and a non working line. I was going up an obstacle and felt something warm/hot drip on my leg. Before I could get WTF out of my mouth, I was wearing a few quarts of steering fluid. And let me tell you, when it's 95 and humid out, that sucks! For some reason my buddy had a cordless grinder with a cut off wheel back at camp. 1/2 hour later, we were back up and running. Unfortunately, while we were dicking with mine, Miss Heather got antsy!

So I did some leg work for you. I called a hydro fitting manufacturer. Talked to a tech and asked a bunch of application questions.

He told me exactly what I thought. If you pay close attention to how deep your hose goes into the fitting on a replaceable style, it's designed to bottom out on the stem. If you keep turning even just 1/2 a turn, it peels away the outer sleeve of the hose itself. Which under load over time will leak. The leak wets the threads on the outer feral and combined with max pressures can cause the hose to slip out of the fitting.

So essentially a compression style fitting and replaceable are rated at 10k+ psi on the fitting alone. Though when the fitting is used on a lower rated max pressure, the wall thickness of the hose decrease because it becomes a single wire braid vs. a 2 or 3 wire.

Obviously too large of a braid will not fit into the replaceable fitting so stepping up just 500psi in rated hose is about all you can comfortably fit.

Keep in mind also that a super crazy modified pump won't push more than 2500 or so psi. When it does the pump will bypass to keep from exploding. So you will NEVER see 6k psi like heavy equipment. We aren't using caterpillar hydrostatic drives to run our steering.

So I really would never use a compression style hose for our steering only because of cost and the trips you have to make outside of your shop and home just to build a custom hose. Plus, soon as you get home and install it that line may bind up around a corner and not fit the contours of how you route it. If you use replaceables you can pivot the hose at each end before you fully tighten so it tucks in real nice.

So my point is, if you use a slightly higher pressure rated line that will hold even tighter inside the replaceable fitting and install it CORRECTLY, according to the manufacturers it will hold almost 4 times the max rated pressure of your hose.

Sweet flop pic :)

Re:

I just took my buggy up to a local hose shop and spend the day making hoses and I know it's all good I didn't want to risk a bunch of hot hydo fluid right over my nuts

I am also a heavy equipment mechanic. I see hose failure 2-3 days a week. 80% of the failures are due to routing/rubbing, 20% leaking stems. Heat and pressure cycling are always major factor.
I would be willing to bet that nearly all of our rigs have hoses that are zip tied into place, which leaves a good chance of rubbing. I have used hard lines on my buggy and cost me a race due to failures. The lines broke right behind the tube sleeve. Lines were clamped to the chassis. All flex from here on out.
For me I prefer 100 % to have something I can repair at anytime without need for much more that hand tools. I actually carry a section of hose longer than my longer hose for those just in case moments.

LightBnDr said:
So I did some leg work for you. I called a hydro fitting manufacturer. Talked to a tech and asked a bunch of application questions.

He told me exactly what I thought. If you pay close attention to how deep your hose goes into the fitting on a replaceable style, it's designed to bottom out on the stem. If you keep turning even just 1/2 a turn, it peels away the outer sleeve of the hose itself. Which under load over time will leak. The leak wets the threads on the outer feral and combined with max pressures can cause the hose to slip out of the fitting.

So essentially a compression style fitting and replaceable are rated at 10k+ psi on the fitting alone. Though when the fitting is used on a lower rated max pressure, the wall thickness of the hose decrease because it becomes a single wire braid vs. a 2 or 3 wire.

Obviously too large of a braid will not fit into the replaceable fitting so stepping up just 500psi in rated hose is about all you can comfortably fit.

Keep in mind also that a super crazy modified pump won't push more than 2500 or so psi. When it does the pump will bypass to keep from exploding. So you will NEVER see 6k psi like heavy equipment. We aren't using caterpillar hydrostatic drives to run our steering.

So I really would never use a compression style hose for our steering only because of cost and the trips you have to make outside of your shop and home just to build a custom hose. Plus, soon as you get home and install it that line may bind up around a corner and not fit the contours of how you route it. If you use replaceables you can pivot the hose at each end before you fully tighten so it tucks in real nice.

So my point is, if you use a slightly higher pressure rated line that will hold even tighter inside the replaceable fitting and install it CORRECTLY, according to the manufacturers it will hold almost 4 times the max rated pressure of your hose.

Sweet flop pic :)

Thank you Sir! That was above and beyond what I expected. I will say I'm 100% sure that I buried the hose in those fittings. However, like you said, it's sure possible that I went beyond balls deep and caused the failure. It sure sounds like it. The hose definitely just came out of the fitting. In fact, it looked like it went through a blender on the way out.

Making them here is certainly easier than taking them somewhere.