• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PSD Auto Testing

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
Bowen Scarff in ford has a 99 F350 with the 7.3 in it, the suck part is it is an auto. I don't want an auto but just for giggles and too see what they'd be willing to do on it, if I manage to find time this weekend between the family parties I might drop in.

If i do drive it, is there any easy way to feel if the tranny is going to take a dump on me soon? If i crawl under it would it be easy to tell if it had already been rebuilt.

The truck has 150K on it, and they want $15K for it. Makes me question what kind of issues it might have but its a nice lookin rig.

1FTSX31F6XEC42328-2S.jpg

After the engine/tranny is warmed up, do a WOT launch and hold it til you get to 60+. If there is any slippage, it will usually be on the 2-3 shift. If there is any shuddering, might want to rethink. My 99 has about 120k on it. I have towed some heavy loads long distance with it. No issues with the tranny. The only issue I have ever had with it was climbing up a steep mountain road at slow speeds towing a travel trailer. Just not enough air movement over the cooler to keep it cool. It got kinda warm, so I pulled over and let it cool down before continuing (Gauges can save ya some money!)

:redneck:

99 are cool as long as they were maintained and not abused. My dad had a 99 w/ 170k that he used to pull a 5th wheel. Never had any issues. The 2000 are the one that over heat the tranny easily. The only cooler they had was the little external cooler.

Maybe check the fluid for a burnt smell or discolor. Watch the the OD button, they will flash if the tranny has serious issues. If you know someone that has a code scanner, that would be a good thing to do also.

i test drove a 2001 F250 at a dealer in Everett. the 4wheel drive was busted. I didn't spend any time looking to see why it didn't work I just thought it was funny the damn knob on the dash didn't engage 4 hi or 4 low. And this was right after the salesman was telling me how great their used car inspections/service is.:rolleyes:

not a trans issue, i know. just thought you might wana give the 4x4 a test next time you hop in that truck...

Stay away from the 99. They have weak rods. And for 15K you could get exactly what you wanted instead of a compromise.
Actually the 99's have forged rods. Ford switched to the PMR rods in 2001. I do agree though, for 15k there are ones out there with lower miles and a 6 speed. It might just take a little searching.

Last edited:
i test drove a 2001 F250 at a dealer in Everett. the 4wheel drive was busted. I didn't spend any time looking to see why it didn't work I just thought it was funny the damn knob on the dash didn't engage 4 hi or 4 low. And this was right after the salesman was telling me how great their used car inspections/service is.:rolleyes:

not a trans issue, i know. just thought you might wana give the 4x4 a test next time you hop in that truck...

To get it into 4L you have to have it in nuetral and your foot has to be brake. It is kinda a hassel. I really prefer a manual t-case.

Yep. thats what they told me. So i tried it.
probably a simple fix but, i dunno.
Actually, i really liked that truck but they wanted too much for it...

To get it into 4L you have to have it in nuetral and your foot has to be brake. It is kinda a hassel. I really prefer a manual t-case.

Not really true. It's just a transfer case only a electric motor moves the shifter rather than you pulling on the lever. Has nothing at all to do with having your foot on the brake.

I would caution you about Bowen-Scarff Ford long before I would worry about the tranny.

I own a '99 Ford purchased from them. Only real problem I ever had with the truck was with Bowen-Scarff. Never take their word for anything. Never take their written word for anything. Move quickly away from them.

Not really true. It's just a transfer case only a electric motor moves the shifter rather than you pulling on the lever. Has nothing at all to do with having your foot on the brake.

The 2000 manual states "If equipped with the electronic shift 4wd system, and the instrument panel control is moved into 4wd low while vehicle is moving, the system will not engage and no damage will occur to the 4wd system. Before 4wd low can be engaged, the vehicle must be brought to a complete stop with brake pedal depressed and the transmission placed in neutral (or the clutch pedal depressed on a manual transmissions)."

I own a 2000 and my neighbor owns a 2001. We both have to use the same meathod to get it inot 4low.

I can't even shift my 71 highboy into 4low unless it is at a stop or a really really slow roll.

Weird, I posted last night or I thought I did... :eeek:

I talked to a salesman, and he was well a typical salesman. They provided a carfax per my request via email, but it didn't have a ton of info and when i tried to talk to the guy about the truck all he could do was tell me I should "come on down and take it for a test drive." but never answered a damn question. :looser:

But you all are right, for $15K Ill find the truck I really want no need to settle for an auto.

As for bowen scarff my parents have bought several vehicles from them, with out much issue...although I do not trust their service department.

If you're planning on gettin a 6spd PSD, plan on spending a little money on basics mods. Intake, exhaust, gauges, and programmer. The manuals are gutless turds and have extreme turbo leg.

If you're planning on gettin a 6spd PSD, plan on spending a little money on basics mods. Intake, exhaust, gauges, and programmer. The manuals are gutless turds and have extreme turbo leg.
Yep, I ordered all of the above in the first month I had mine. If I put it on the stock setting the damn thing will barely get out of its own way. Night and day difference on the other settings.

I have a 99 and love it...but i tow and drive the **** out of it...even with a 120 horse chip... and the tranny is starting to slip a little but i garentee its because of my driving..it only has 90,000 on it and i bought it for 18 like it is..
there tuff..!!

100_1803.jpg

100_1881.jpg

100_1809.jpg

100_1779.jpg

100_1789.jpg

I belive 03/99 and prior are the turds and later are the true SD's. there was a split in late 2000 to PMR rods. But some 01's had forged also.