• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Race Yota 4653

You mean the plan wasn't to totally build a new rig in the weeks leading up to Hammers and then fight new rig issues like so many other racers do every single year???

Yep, there will be a few of those again this year.

Saw that not only did you and rig make it out to KOH, but you also drew first rig to Qualify. Too bad about the DNF for Qualifying due to missing part of the course. Couple of other stock class guys did that too.

Will be tracking you and Bruiser (4620) on Wednesday for sure.

Officially 17th out of 26. Full race recap coming soon.
49499355656_b3cd59cc7c_b.jpg

Got to the lakebed, unloaded the truck and setup the garage.

Next day we went to tech and left with a small list of deficiencies to correct. There was a small hole in the firewall that needed to be covered, rear bumper needed two caps, no SFI tags on the harnesses and my fire suit was single layer. Covered the firewall hole with aluminum tape, welded on some tube caps, swapped the harnesses out at the PRP booth and got Fire suit under layers.

Qualifying was the next morning. We were the first truck off the line and slowly worked our way around the course. We took a wrong turn due to no prerunning. Backed up, got back on course and finished with a DNF for going off course. After qualifying the engine developed an oil leak from the front main seal. Not to worry Marlin came over and fixed it for me.

The next day we worked on the engine's propane system that started to give us starting problems. We also prepped for the EMC which included Elvis from Texas setting up the truck and remote pit communication radios and intercoms. Packed up all of the tools, parts, spare tires and spare tanks for the remote pits and called it a day.

Race day we got all lined up and the rear driver tire was super low. Elvis sprinted in with his PowerTank and filled the tire. My co-driver freaked out and bailed. I faced the iPad towards myself to navigate and rolled up to the start line. 3, 2, 1 green flag go!!!!

I took it nice and slow till the big sand hill where I got stuck half way up. I stalled it trying to get going in 4hi. Took a while to get it started again. Got the engine going again, shifted to 4lo 3 gear and made my way to the top. Engine was hot after that so I chilled at the top and let the fan cool things down.

Drove through the desert, whoops, and some rocks. After cougar buttes I was cruising along and my front driver shock hoop ripped off. Pulled the shock and hoop off put it in the back got back on the road.

Next I ran out of gas. One of our fuel lines wouldn't seal on the tank so I just had to hop out and swap tanks. Back on the road headed to remote pit 1 for the second time.

I stopped at remote pit 1 the second time through. My crew was awesome. Tank swap and got both hoses to seal on the tanks. The alternator had rattled apart and was fixed with bailing wire, front hood pins broke off and hood needed to be zip tied down. Me and my new co-driver got in while they were finishing the bolt check and then we were off.

We got lost then Elvis got us back on course over the radio with the yellow brick app. Back on course through rocks, desert and woops then we lost the front passenger shock and hoop. Pulled it off and got back on the road.

We make our way to main pit where they let us know we were being stopped for time after we cross the finish line. So we leave main pit headed for the remainder of the first lap. Stalled the engine, alternator was toast so the batteries were dead, I ran back to main pit, got a jump box then went back to the truck and got it going. Lost the hood on the way to the Ford arch, got on the short course and through the finish line!

The course marshals pointed me towards the stage so up I drove. Fake 2nd place at the KOH EMC LOL. Great time with great people and I will be back next year.

What is the story on the co-driver pussing out and shock hoops breaking off?

I guess racing ain't for everybody. I think it was all the TV cameras and helicopters that freaked him out Lol.

The hoops ripped off because of the lack of gusseting, being welded directly to the Toyota frame and the beating they took in the woops. Before they came off the truck felt and handled well in the desert. So, plate the frame, make new shock hoops, remount air bumps, gusset everything and a bunch of other stuff so I can go wheeling.

I feel like that's a long way to make it, to bail right at the start line. I bet that dude felt like he got hit in the gut the rest of the trip.

Heck you ain't gotta ask me but once, and I'm in!
Went to KOH 2015, great event and experience!
Would love to drive in race or contribute to a team.

Congrats on making it and doing what you did!

I have wheeled with the guy for a few years and he was pumped and excited up until go time. He's still getting **** from everyone. We will be going again next year and we are always looking for people to help out. My other buddy that jump in at Remote Pit1B is the current co driver for this season and KOH 2021.

Latest posts