• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Racing with full hydro questions..

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
for hauling ass across the sand or on the trail or whatever. What type of orbital is being used out there? Right now I have an orbital, don't knwo the specs of it, I bought it used. works fine and everything but I took it for a drive down the street and damn that was scary. I'm sure I need an alignment but my orbital is a non returning to center. I can't imagine hauling ass across the sand and staying in control with it.

So what are you guys/gals using?

I would bet the stability issue you're having is more to do with your alignment and setup.
If you don't know the specs on what you have then how do you know it's not a return to center?

If your doing high speed stuff only having a 2 turn lock to lock is a little quick IMO. Talk to rollinhvy on here as he has a hydro shop and can hook you up with the stuff you need. My guess is you need to change your spacer on the orbitral.Im 4 turns lock to lock and ive had mine up to 65.

The only answer i can give you right away is "we're using an appropriate sized orbital"

It's all relative. You are going to need to match your orbital to the size of the ram and the flow of your pump. What size ram, single or double, and what kind of pump are you running? How many turns are you looking to get lock to lock?

You also need to know the CID of your valve. Then once you have the required info, get a faster or slower orbital to meet your needs. Faster is better in the rocks, and slower is better at speed. What is perfect? I don't know.

EXAMPLE:

If you use the same valve to turn a 10"x2.5" ram and a 8"x2.25" ram the latter will turn "faster" or less turns lock to lock.

Also, what was "scary" about your valve? was it twitchy? or just felt out of alignment? pulling? We are going to need a lot more info in order to give you a better answer.

Last edited:
I would bet the stability issue you're having is more to do with your alignment and setup.
If you don't know the specs on what you have then how do you know it's not a return to center?

because it doesn't return to center??? :eeek:

The only answer i can give you right away is "we're using an appropriate sized orbital"

It's all relative. You are going to need to match your orbital to the size of the ram and the flow of your pump. What size ram, single or double, and what kind of pump are you running? How many turns are you looking to get lock to lock?

You also need to know the CID of your valve. Then once you have the required info, get a faster or slower orbital to meet your needs. Faster is better in the rocks, and slower is better at speed. What is perfect? I don't know.

EXAMPLE:

If you use the same valve to turn a 10"x2.5" ram and a 8"x2.25" ram the latter will turn "faster" or less turns lock to lock.

Also, what was "scary" about your valve? was it twitchy? or just felt out of alignment? pulling? We are going to need a lot more info in order to give you a better answer.

Well its about 2.5 turns lock to lock. But it's also really sensitive and has delay. About a half of second delay. For the trail and low speed it would probably be fine. But for the street or hauling ass. Hell no..

Really sensitive AND has a delay? Which is it? Does it change from one to the other?

My guess is it has a delay but when it does turn its quick because its only 2.5 turns lock to lock .He isnt used to that because he went from stock steering at 4.25 turns lock to lock.

At any rate there should be no delay. There very well could be resistance if the system isn't matched correctly but if you turn the steering wheel the wheels should turn also.

At any rate there should be no delay. There very well could be resistance if the system isn't matched correctly but if you turn the steering wheel the wheels should turn also.

Maybe he has air in the system still?

what ram are you using? what pump? any info at all on the valve?

Definately get your alignment dialed in first before you start overthinking the hydro system. The delay may be due to alignment or something else, and the twitchyness from a valve that's too fast.

Is there a delay in the wheels turning? or do you have to turn back the other way some before it actually steers that direction?

Last edited:

Definately get your alignment dialed in first before you start overthinking the hydro system. The delay may be due to alignment, and the twitchyness from a valve that's too fast.

2x8 ram i think.

I have a forklift orbital which is about 4 turns lock to lock with a 8" farm ram. All running off the stock toy pump with the reducer drilled out. At first it was alittle scary but now I'm used to it. And you now as well as everyone else that as seen me on the trail I don't know what slow is and have no problem with my setup. I think it's a matter of getting used to it. :redneck:

Really sensitive AND has a delay? Which is it? Does it change from one to the other?

Well by sensitive I mean just a quarter turn and I'm damn near sideways.. Delay I mean by its not instant, like with stock steering.

Definately get your alignment dialed in first before you start overthinking the hydro system. The delay may be due to alignment, and the twitchyness from a valve that's too fast.

It's an industrial 2x8 ram. The pump is my stock PS pump with the pressure relief valve oversized. But I don't know anything baout the orbital. I bought it off of Tory's comp rig. But he didn't know anything about it either. :booo:

I have a forklift orbital which is about 4 turns lock to lock with a 8" farm ram. All running off the stock toy pump with the reducer drilled out. At first it was alittle scary but now I'm used to it. And you now as well as everyone else that as seen me on the trail I don't know what slow is and have no problem with my setup. I think it's a matter of getting used to it. :redneck:

I'm no slow poke on the trail either. But until I get this dialed in, I might as well drive in 1st gear.

Well by sensitive I mean just a quarter turn and I'm damn near sideways.. Delay I mean by its not instant, like with stock steering.

It's an industrial 2x8 ram. The pump is my stock PS pump with the pressure relief valve oversized. But I don't know anything baout the orbital. I bought it off of Tory's comp rig. But he didn't know anything about it either. :booo:

A 2.5 inch ram will slow it down a bit.

Full Hydro is never going to be the same as a mechanical linkage, so don't try to get it back like it was before. If there's no real problem, it just feels weird, then get used to it. :smokey:

Latest posts