• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Racing with full hydro questions..

What about the GM quadrasteer and the Honda 4ws car? The rear steer axle has no mechanical linkage and it is all electricly controlled. I think there are a couple other cars with electric steering controls for the front axle too.

Here are the street legal requirements for steering in Washington:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-10-034

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.375

There are a few. I have seen them in the shop but I can't remember what ones for sure. My tech was saying a Volvo but can't remember what model. BMW is coming out with a "drive-by-wire" system. From what I read it'll be more responsive than conventional steering. We'll see..

Here's some pics of my set-up. Pat at Those guys did all the work. I see I have some leaks I need to check on. But a very clean set-up by Pat:awesomework:

P1080380.jpg

P1080379.jpg

P1080378.jpg

P1080377.jpg

shouldnt have any toe on a straight axle. Should be straight up unless its ifs or ttb.

1/8 inch max at the tread if you absolutly must.

your kidding right?

Your steering is also a bit dependent on engine rpm. If you freak and lift the pedal, then steer you've dropped flow and pressure, then push the pedal it changes again...

Make sure you got no slop in the steering components. have someone else turn the wheel while you check it.

Here's some pics of my set-up. Pat at Those guys did all the work. I see I have some leaks I need to check on. But a very clean set-up by Pat:awesomework:

P1080380.jpg

P1080379.jpg

P1080378.jpg

P1080377.jpg

Ever heard of engine cleaner.....Damn john.....what a mess.

Also by looking at your hoses it looks like they shouldn't have air bubbles and should bleed just fine.
Are you SURE you don't have a worn attaching point on your ram?.....
A quick and dirty test I do on mine is with the engine running and parked move the wheel just slightly and at the same time look at the tires. The tires should move any time you move the wheel. If they don't there is something wrong.

Also by looking at your hoses it looks like they shouldn't have air bubbles and should bleed just fine.
Are you SURE you don't have a worn attaching point on your ram?.....
A quick and dirty test I do on mine is with the engine running and parked move the wheel just slightly and at the same time look at the tires. The tires should move any time you move the wheel. If they don't there is something wrong.

No everything is tight, It's all new. This hydro set-up just got finished last week.

No its not...

as viewed from the side, caster is the angle of the center line that the upper and lower ball joints make from the vertical.

The kingpin angle is the angle between the center line of the upper and lower ball joints and the center line of the tire

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspension/wheels/steering_axis.gif

You're refering to the kingpin angle as it relates to camber. I'm refering to kingpin angle as it relates to caster....That's why the terms are caster, camber and toe.
BTW camber won't effect return to center assuming it's the same from right side to left side. Or out like as in road grader out.:redneck:
:edit: BTW I think you're right in that the king pin angle from the perspective you refer to could effect return to center.:beer: :edit:
Joop what about the steering column and wheel itself? The play could be before the orbital.

Last edited:
your kidding right?

Care to explain why?? :corn::corn::corn:

No Im not. Everything I have ever been told or done or heard says to set a solid axle straight ahead at 0 degrees. If you are not competent or trust your skills then set it at a 1/16 to an 1/8 toed in.

If a guy is going to be a 1/16 off I would rather it be in than out.

Why would this be wrong? I even looked on pirate to see if I was way out in left field and all I found was 0 degree suggestions.:beer:

No Im not. Everything I have ever been told or done or heard says to set a solid axle straight ahead at 0 degrees. If you are not competent or trust your skills then set it at a 1/16 to an 1/8 toed in.

If a guy is going to be a 1/16 off I would rather it be in than out.

Why would this be wrong? I even looked on pirate to see if I was way out in left field and all I found was 0 degree suggestions.:beer:

Interesting to hear though I don't agree. I have always heard/ read toe must be in just slightly even on straight axles....But hey, whateva.:beer:

Interesting to hear though I don't agree. I have always heard/ read toe must be in just slightly even on straight axles....But hey, whateva.:beer:

Im no link pastin master, but if ya prove yours or mine post it up. I couldnt find any BOOK specs online, just forum banter and opinions.

Latest posts